Why is my GOO not turning deep mustard?

I planted all kinds of goo yesterday and some say READY TO HARVEST but they are not deep mustard despite me growing them ON raw deep mustard gleam? The block does say
From mint towards deep mustard but it is not dep mustard when harvested???

I don’t do this, no real advice. I’m up though so here’s a pointer.

Good luck :sweat:

Imagine making colour this ridiculously complex. Another turn off discovered. Amazing.

You are mutating from mint to deep mustard. This happens step by step and not in one go. Harvest the result and replant to continue. It is best to have a color close to the desired color. For example strong mustard. Then it needs less steps and you will have more as every step comes with some seed loss.

Boundlessinfo got a nice tool for that: https://boundlessinfo.com/goo-mutator/goo-steps-count
When you enter your color into the first field it shows the distance for all other colors.
Entering the color you have into the second field shows the path. In your case:

1. Green (91)
  2. Warm Moss (92)
  3. Stale Moss (86)
  4. Warm Yellow (85)
  5. Stale Tan (84)
  6. Warm Mustard (83)
  7. Mustard (95)
  8. Deep Mustard (31)
    Which means you have to replant 8 times

There is also a 20% chance that your goo mutates a second time which can be in any direction. This can make it faster or slower.

5 Likes

Appreciate your answer. Thank you. The seed loss is a huge problem here. Basically I have to make huge caverns to get 1/5th the starting goo? This stuff needs an overhaul imo. A big one.

You need the right setup for mutating.
For mutation it is best to have 90% seed by planting on gleam with 6 growth blocks nearby.
Mutating 8 times on that setup results in 43% of the desired goo.
90% 8 times -> 0.9 ^ 8 = 0.43 -> 43%

2 Likes

When I started in the goo business i was trying to get specific colors but I gave that up quite fast as it can get very frustrating fast. Instead now I use only 2 set ups, one on gleam, one of rocks.
On gleam I will plant the colors I want to change, on rocks, those I don’t mind keeping as they are.
And with time I eventually get a little bit of everything

9 Likes

It was intended for goo to be more of an advanced srot of farming. In fact if you read te patch notes when released, it suggested people overwhlemed by it should look into purchasing the paint direct from sellers who have a good set up.
I find the random mutations that go on both frustrating and fun in it’s own way. Try like crazy to get as close to the mutation as you can. Less steps.

1 Like

Another thing to bear in mind you don’t need all the same colour goo when making paint along as it has a majority and the closer to the colour the more you can add someone posted a thing awhile back a mixing guide an actually can use a combination that doesn’t even have the desired colour in it I wish I could help you with a link but can’t if I find it I will let you know

https://boundlessinfo.com/home
Click on the Goo Mutator section on the left it will open several sections that will help you/
Also click the Farming then in depth section and click Goo there is more information there on Seed VS yield planting, there is also an image tab to show you some layout…