Wider doors

Currently we can make doors really tall but only 2 blocks wide. It would look really nice if we could make our doors 4, or even more blocks wide as well as tall.

13 Likes

I do agree, but the reason why it’s not so simple to add is that when the door opens it stays in the same block as it was placed, double wide doors would not do that and would need lots of changes to the code to get it working nicely in all kinds of situations…

5 Likes

I did realize it’s not a simple task, but hey, the old saying “if you don’t ask you may never get it!”

And Our boundless devs are so talented I’m sure they can do it at some point.

2 Likes

Could it follow a similar method as the sign modules?

Question becomes what level of quality is expected. The door would not be able to swing, or it would phase or clip through voxels or entities. It would also have to reserve a number of blocks around it for swinging space which adds additional complexity to both design and player implementation. Now factor in the additional behaviors that doors already fulfill, fluid and light interactions are now affecting an area that the door swings through as well. With smaller doors, occupying a single vertical space, these snap interactions are not very problematic, but larger doors just wouldn’t interact well.

Perhaps a compromise would be a crafted decoration with the appearance of a large scale door or gate, but does not function as such. Could be placed in a modular configuration like signs.

If your simply looking for a way to have a large entrance that can be closed to keep mobs out, perhaps some sort of permeable “force field” door that only allows players to pass through but not mobs.

3 Likes

Can we get forcefield doors? I think that would solve the whole “wider than 2 blocks” problem.

7 Likes

what about an accordion fold? The doors could take up maybe 4 blocks like this ———— and then fold in on itself to make it stay within its own Voxel.

6 Likes

Personally I would want it the same quality as current. Give a message if you can’t open the door. Door would swing free and clear when possible. Even if there were limitations on how wide the doors could be.

Edit: I like the forcefield door idea! Nice one :+1:

I was just making a quick gif…lol
We have conduits coming, maybe those could be used with a switch?

Screenshot%20(6677)_1

19 Likes

Or it allows characters but not mobs so it might be simpler to program? You could still use locks to restrict characters.

Edit instead of a switch I should have been more clear.

2 Likes

That looks awesome! I love how you added a switch!!

1 Like

I can hear a whoomp sound for turning it on already!

1 Like

Force walls would be awesome. Basically glass that you can walk through, but mobs can’t walk or shoot through. A hopper could probably still damage you from the other side though. Would solve 99% of the problems with making a serious build on a T6.

1 Like

The wide one could work with trapdoors but they dont merge like normal doors

My thoughts on the concept were that they aren’t limited to one or two wide voxel spaces like regular doors. If they are some sort of force field, they could span any opening within a specified limit (like portals)…as long as the circuit is complete with the right blocks.

2 Likes

Having those new doors with the circuit blocks is smart. Would even give those blocks a purpose. Maybe even have these blocks act like spark cords (except these blocks can be chiselled
to a variety of shapes). Many possibilities!

2 Likes

Yes! This would be sick and probably more doable than adding wider swinging doors.

Wouldn’t be surprised if this actually gets added, great idea :fist:

4 Likes

The doors could simply do like they currently do, if an entity is in the way;

“Block, citizen, or creature is in the way.”

2 Likes

Technically you can, but it would still only function as a 2 block wide door. Sort of like a barn door that has the little door for the farmer etc to go through.

Even 3 wide would be nice. A lot of my builds have a center block which means I can not put a 2x2 door.

2 Likes