Will Boundless beat Minecraft in popularity?

Dedicated server just means that the machine is only meant to run the servers and no clients.

So technically we already have that. :smile:

(Actually we have something better, because you can’t seamlessly travel between minecrafts dedicated servers.)

3 Likes

Damn you stole my punchline :angry: :smiley:

3 Likes

in theory this could be a endless online universe ^^ and I highly like the ide of that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hopefully we get a couple of the high end building streamers and they toss up a few huge time lapses. Then we can watch the universe grow to be larger than eve online’s. Boundless has one heck of a color pallet. :smiley:

2 Likes

I seriously appreciate your realistic viewpoint on this. These were my first thoughts exactly. :slight_smile:

Minecraft is a behemoth. I love Boundless dearly, but I find it very difficult to imagine it reaching Minecraft popularity. If it does, I’ll buy a bottle of the hottest hot sauce I can find and drink the entire thing on camera.

8 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind ^^

6 Likes

I’ll do it with no hesitation. It’ll be worth it because it means Boundless is where it deserves. ;D

4 Likes

As an early alpha player the bit about Minecraft advertising world wide is very untrue, Minecraft gained a large par of it’s popularity by word of mouth, it was the only game of it’s kind at the time, and it was pretty much digital legos.

8 Likes

I feel it already has, at least for myself. Have Minecraft on every platform available and played it for years, up until Boundless was coming to life. Boundless may not currently have the player base Minecraft has, but when this game is more well rounded and closer to the original goals and concepts they pitched back in 2014, this game has more potential than Minecraft does by far.

4 Likes

Totally agreed - Minecraft was one of my former addictions before Boundless. Still play a little but not much… I always played it sort of funny, would dig LONG tunnels, collect endlessly - and hardly ever build anything, and nothing good. Boundless inspires me to build well (or to try, I’m learning!) and is just so beautiful and so much more interesting and fun to explore. :smiley:

4 Likes

Building is the part of Minecraft that I like the least because you can only build ugly things. Since there is no chiseling, everything ends up looking like a blocky dumpster fire. Even that amazing Middle Earth build that people spent years to create is impressive yet ugly.

4 Likes

I second this, Boundless has so much potential and has all the right (metaphorical) building blocks to add a whole bunch of features.

Partly the reason why I don’t care about not having a road map - the best adventures happen when you’re not looking at a map :upside_down_face: lul

5 Likes

Exactly - and Boundless is very innovative, they’re trying new things, experimenting… when doing that, a set roadmap could hinder really, you need to be ready to adapt, since you are beating a new path!

2 Likes

I would agree with comments that ultimately, Boundless allows for a lot more flexibility in building due to the ability to chisel and also with the wide range of colors and block types. I also personally feel the worlds are prettier and offer more variety and opportunities than do the minecraft worlds.

That being said, until Boundless offers a way for builders to cooperatively work on large builds in a creative mode, I think it will always lag minecraft. The players that spent months or years building in minecraft are not going to want to spend triple that time collecting and crafting the materials to build with. I do think the recent introduction of the creative mode with the ability to spam materials and also fly is definitely a step in the right direction to begin to attract some of the dedicated minecraft builders.

7 Likes

Will it beat Minecraft in popularity? Probably not. Is it objectively better than Minecraft? Absolutely.

Minecraft was everyone’s first taste in a block building sim you live in. Later this became part of/really created the “sandbox” genre. It is sadly impossible to bottle lightning, Minecraft only became what it is more to timing than anything else.

I have never been able to sit down and play Minecraft for long stents, and probably logged less than 50hours into it across platforms… Boundless I’ve logged over 1000 hours, and continue to come back to it again and again.

But just because boundless can’t beat Minecraft’s numbers, doesn’t mean it can’t achieve millions of sales. I recommend it to everyone I know all the time, most people I know just aren’t into mmos or don’t care for sandboxes.

2 Likes

Posts like @KevinLee ‘s post shouldn’t be flagged.

1 Like

No ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‏‏‎

Lol kinda pointless topic really…but Minecraft is one of the top selling game of all time…so kinda unlikely. But it would be awesome if it was…

2 Likes