Wood higher tier use

With mining there is the thrill of looking for the rare materials. Fossils, artifacts, gems, metals. I would like to see something like that with wood, to make woodcutting a viable endgame character build. Though I understand crafting is already a bit overwhelming for new players and adding more complexity could be a negative.

4 Likes

Maybe we could get sap and bark from wood. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2% chance of getting a squirrel ? :smiley:
I agree, wood is a bit under used. canā€™t really think of any rewards we could get while chopping it (without adding a new complex game mechanic (growing, interbreeding treesā€¦)
but there could be a nice mid game set of craftable blocks and objects made of ā€˜reinforced timberā€™ (wood + base metal) making wood more relevant

4 Likes

This is actually not a New topicā€¦ As me and @Apt At leastā€¦
( Theres others too but cannot remember the name top of my headā€¦)
have suggested more Wood blocks For us woodbuildersā€¦ Ive always gotten great feedback about the topic so i would imagine it has To be on their things To do papers.

3 Likes

Growing trees would be an awesome addition to farming. Let the trees occasional drop a rare seed. Plant it at your farm and it will give your crops within the plot itā€™s planted growing buff After the tree matures. Also give the tree an expiration that can be altered slightly with the fertilizer. Maybe have several different tree buffs; one for increased crop growth speed, a different tree for Increased crop seed yield, and another for increased crop yield. Perhaps also have it so when the tree dies it adds a debuff that has the opposite effect until you remove it!

2 Likes

Perhaps a rare drop or spawn called Heartwood which could be used in the top tier wooden versions of our mythical Shields?

2 Likes

I think they dont give up their tiers.
Its Wood Copper iron. And so onā€¦ Sucks To be Wood user

1 Like

I say Boo to that, sir! The wooden ones look the best and if they are tier 1, I will be dismayed.

Instead of having wood drops compete against mining drops, lets have them fill a different niche entirely. The first thing that comes to my mind is furnishings. Instead of ore seams that are selectively mined, give raw trunks a bonus chance to produce higher quality timbers that can be formed into higher tier furnishings.

To make up an example, say [Twisted Wood Trunks] could have a (example) 5% chance to reveal 1-3 bonus pieces of ā€œHelix Timberā€ when it gets crafted into timbers. This rare timber can then be crafted into superior furnishings, or refined into other useful ingredients or tradeable goods on par with mined goods. You could even add skills that allow better or rarer woods to be refined that can be on-par with top tier mined drops like gems and lucents. Basically a gathering profession that favors prospecting raw trunks over selective cave mining or strip mining.

4 Likes

I think Iā€™ve seen this exact mechanic somewhere.

Checking through wikis, it looks like it is GW2, where wood has a small chance of dropping wood cores, which are used to craft furniture.

2 Likes

Great idea but just make helix trees the grind is already enough. I donā€™t need more ā€¦

Most of the trees on higher-tier Worlds already look pretty inbred.

2 Likes

Never played gw2 but that sounds like a ā€œtried and trueā€ endorsement to me.

Not sure I follow you. Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Make it 100 percent. Not 5 percent

Wood builders unite!

1 Like

Sure, but now itā€™s an ultra rare tree you can never find.

Is your intent close to this: ā€œI donā€™t think this is a good idea, letā€™s just use normal wood. Maybe we could add more wood variety, or wood types that only appear on high tier worlds, but I donā€™t think rare wood materials are a good idea.ā€?

2 Likes

I think in real life theres something called burls, its like a knot in the wood that is highly sought after for furniture.

Wood based furniture is nice, but i like the idea of armor being added in. Seems weird we are running around naked out here.

2 Likes

inb4 wooden fists

Yea I guess I just want see more stuff in the game not so much worried if rare or notā€¦those crazy builders will turn it into a rare buildā€¦thatā€™s more exciting