Workshops!

How do you have your workshop set up? After moving mine, I find that I don’t really like how it functions for certain things. Do you have a completely different area for some things? For instance, I make a lot of bricks, but the current set up I have doesn’t really lend itself well to the creation of them. Neccessary materials are a floor up and I have to do a lot of running. I am for sure thinking this isn’t going to work for me and I may be building yet another workshop…

1 Like

I don’t really want to see set-ups…mostly asking about if people have had or tried the different areas. Or perhaps even a different workshop completely. Like…one for refineries and one for mixers with perhaps a few other machines you might use for each one. So for the mixer shop you might have crafting tables and a couple of refineries with 20 or so mixers.

I’ve tried having a generalized workshop, but I just find myself constantly running out of machines. So I’ve switched to making workshops specifically for what I’m currently doing the most.

EG: I just made a workshop specifically to create everything related to forging. So from creating tools and forge ingredients all the way to centraforges.

2 Likes

I have my main workshop, and then setup up a separate area for making glass for my glass shop. Alyster and I just pop portals into the main workshop to our secondary workshops wherever it is most convenient. Gleam storage to Glass workshop for me.

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was wondering. So several workshops seems to work. I think I might give it a shot.

4 Likes

The only big problem is the sunk-in cost. A generalized workshop is a lot cheaper to make. Having specialized workshops usually means you also need more machines, and thus more coils (ouch)

2 Likes

I just reclaimed my entire workshop in an effort to streamline my work just like you are doing.

For my concrete shop I created an area with just mixers to make it as fast as possible and I store all my sand, water, opals and kindling there within the concrete shop. I found it such a pain to keep going back and forth. I have also decided to expand from a measly 16 machines as I have been buying up machines and coils for quite some time now. I get a good amount of bulk orders and I would like to be more able to fulfill those as quickly as possible.

With that said, I am a more functional builder. I want things to be as functional as possible so having a good amount of storage near my machines is ideal, but like others mentioned I think if you are doing a lot of bulk crafting or have a large focus on a particular item that you mass produce a workshop just for that might be ideal along with storage for the items that you would need.

2 Likes

With the size of my new workshop I had to split workshop and storage. I always got chests next to the machines which will contain base resources for bricks and/or marble so I just need to pick up the corresponding colored stones when I return to crafting.

1 Like

Yeah I think my old workshop was a little more streamlined because I set stuff up as I needed it. I don’t think I will do a full reclaim because I did put a ton of work into the new space and I like how it turned out. Perhaps I will just turn it into one specified space and rework it a bit. I do have a lot of space there, would be a shame to just leave it with nothing. Or…perhaps I will just gut it entirely and leave the building itself there. I haven’t decided yet. Trying not to make a decision to hastily. Lol.

3 Likes

I know this feeling. I made a post about reclaiming my workshop and even after all the suggestions I wandered around my base for a few hours contemplating it’s demise and if I wanted to reclaim it. I eventually did and while I do have some regret (mostly due to having to wade through 35mil in reclaim) I look forward to building bigger and better with some lessons learned.

1 Like

I do have separate dedicated crafters apart from one big all-in workshop. So for bricks I have this building with compactors and mixers and chests for mud and ash, so I can do everything needed to make bricks in smaller space and close.

I suppose it would make sense for you to also have separate sub-space with machines and storage dedicated to just making bricks. And the same for marble.

2 Likes

I have my machines (plus tables and furnaces) all on one side and storage on the other side of the house (like 6 plots away or something) but I hate running back and forth for high volume crafting (my shop) so i made a separate storage built into the extractor row of machines (which is all i use for the shop) so now I dont have to run. Also helps with keeping shop inv separated from my own.

2 Likes

Just logged in. This is how it looks like.

1 Like

I have 5 rows of machines…

…stacked vertically with all spark and power under the floor.

I have 2 of every loot in color-coded open storage to allow shift-click to do my sorting. When the first stack fills, I drop it in the adjacent chest and split the second stack.

Come take a look if you’re in the neighborhood… “New Akhet” on Ceph has a portal in TNT and GTG. hubs.

5 Likes

@Shankt Do you have a seperate storage aside from your workshop storage? I presently have a color storage where I am just storing mostly raw blocks such as Gleam, Mud, Thorns, Rock, etc. but prior to my reclaim everything else was in my main base/workshop such as bones, meat, seeds, ores etc.

I have so much I couldn’t fit my items into a small area. I was considering just creating a combined storage/machine area but I know I would need a lot more storage.

1 Like

Yeah 5 machines for sure would not hold me over. Just for bricks I use all 30 of my mixers. When I do marble I have just as many refineries.

Since no one seems interested in doing a shop at Naecessities, I think I will just repurpose that area for brick making. Should be pretty perfect and it is mostly set up already, just a few things to change around.

1 Like

I do have other storage, but 132 storage blocks and 120 chests covers any crafting needs so far. I have a few chests to hold materials for things I’m actively working on and separate storage for stuff I use in my build and for my tools.

i don’t sell anything, so i don’t need a large workshop, but this setup worked for years and needed no upgrades layout-wise (it is THAT good :D)
divided into 4 sections, machines in the middle ( 2 of each + smelting area)

storage is divided into 4 main sections, each has general storage and 4 more smaller rooms where frequently used crafting ingredients are sorted
next to that i got a building block warehouse

11 Likes

I have 10 machines in each pod here with 7 coils a piece (40 refineries total). If you don’t fully coil the machines you can get a pretty compact setup going.

3 Likes