World Builder Suggestion - minY field for Substrates

I have been messing around with the World Builder tool the past few days and one of the things I noticed is that the substrates are kind of loose cannons. Correct me if I am wrong but there doesn’t seem to be a way to determine which one you want on top, nor any way to specify a minimum altitude despite there being a slider for max altitude. Here are some pictures of what I mean:

(also I am aware that ‘grass’ could potentially refer to tall grass, I am just using it to demonstrate a problem that can occur in low areas when using multiple substrates)

My suggestion is to add a minY slider so that things like this could be achieved much more easily:

also a way to specify “priority” on overlapping substrates would be pretty useful, so that you can decide which should be layered over the other.

Yeah I suggested that too:

It would really make some parts of the worldbuilder easier

Whoops. I tried to look and see if it had been posted before but I guess I glanced over that bit.

Oh well, still useful feedback.

1 Like

Much more detailed than my sugggestion. :slight_smile:

minY will certailny be added at some point, just an oversight.

Layering (of substrate/strata) is a bit more interesting though, because the only way it can really work properly is for it to be defined for the entire generated world, it cannot be per-biome, and the reason for that biome’s blend, and it doesn’t make sense to have:

biome A, which says dirt goes over sand

blending with

biome B, which says sand goes over dirt

With layering being per world (currently universal) the blending is straightforward and logical, if the layering was per-biome there would necessarigly come a point where the ground would suddenly swap from one substrate ordering to another as the ‘influence’ of one biome overtook the others (aka the biomes wouldn’t be blending at all!)

Thanks for the heads up! I’m sure that with a minY feature it would probably be relatively easy to create your own layering order workaround on demand with smooth decorations, so per-world custom layering order probably isn’t as important an addition. As for per-biome it’s probably for the best that it’s not possible due to the weird things that would happen on edges as you described.