World Builder v2 Bugs & Suggestions

@james, I did this and I was able to launch the world builder once more, but I (accidentally) recreated the glitch that crashed world builder by clicking the connection point of a node, deleting the node (with the connection line active), creating a new node, and attaching the old nodes connection line to a node connection point. After the crash occurred, I verified the game cache. The crash somehow deleted or corrupted a file, but even after this and reinstalling the game, I only get the command prompt screen to pop up.

I’m not the brightest at times, but how do I save my worlds? I’m on a Mac and I get the must save in correct directory pop up? Any ideas?

1 Like

It’s pretty awkward at the moment on OS X :frowning: The world builder is probably asking you to save your files in a directory like /Users/kkbell/Library/Application Support/something/something/..., right?

While you have the file saving dialog open, if you type /, it will pop up a manual text entry where you can specify the path. If you fill in the path that world builder asks you for, it should let you save. And from then on, it’ll remember the directory

2 Likes

Big help! You just made my week! Thank you very much!

1 Like

bug, I think:

Specifying minY and maxY on substrate layer behave erratically when your heightmap is constrained. It appears as if minY/maxY are evaluated before the terrain is scaled to the heightmap’s own minY/maxY. Or something like that.

sorry about the massive images. Discourse is ignoring my size overrides

For example, here’s a slice of terrain with no minY:0, maxY:255. The heightmap is restricted to 80-100, and the substrate reaches a depth of 20 blocks:

Now here it is with minY:60, maxY:255: (I would expect full depth on the substrate here!)

minY:60, maxY:120: (wat)

1 Like

A bug.
If i have left mouse-button down to drag a slider, a click with right mouse-button (both down) crash WB.

2 Likes

When i do a chunk-render, the program grab some memory, and refuse to release it.
Every rendering go slower and slower, until it stop completely (or crash) when all memory are gone.

Have to shut down WB to get it back.

Possibly related: I’ve seen a case where changing the scale and offset of a preview window caused a different window to pan/zoom. Unable to repro though :frowning:

Hope it was your window, and not your neighbors…

1 Like

Hey Boundless Team,
Im trying to make a world on the World Builder Tool, but it says that to test it out in first person, i need to open the game separatly. Im on Mac OS X 10.11.3 and when I open Boundless at the same time that the World Builder is already running, Boundless doesn’t do anything other than close itself.

What im saying may not make alot of sence only because im not too sure how to word it, while the world builder is open, boundless wont open. That might make a little more sence.

Please help, thanks!

Steam cant run both at once.

You need to go to the map on your computer where steam store your boundless game and start worldbuilder local, then you can open your world in the steam game.

Did this occur when dragging any slider, or with certain sliders?

Right-clicking crash it.

Looks like it is from custom parts, where it should be possible to right-click to expose values.

If i load a custom 2d high-map and right-click in a slider, it crash.

1 Like

I’m experiencing it too - right clicking on any node’s arguments

Here’s a dump/stack, if it helps: https://gist.github.com/nevir/8ad209f0e6c9deb7be2a1517a4ff2454

0   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x0000000104855c79 (anonymous namespace)::exposeSlider(NodeData*, float, float, float, float, char const*, Path) + 201
1   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x0000000104857200 NodeFreqSlider::render() + 1456
2   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x000000010484bd79 NodeNest::render() + 73
3   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x000000010486157b NewNode::render() + 3179
4   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x00000001048609a5 NewNode::render() + 149
5   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x00000001048609a5 NewNode::render() + 149
6   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x0000000104843bb7 Graph::render() + 55
7   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x00000001048b3b02 GraphPanel::MainPanel(PanelWindow&) + 82
8   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x0000000104828f1c PanelView::Update() + 3468
9   boundlessworldbuilder         	0x0000000104827e8c PanelWindow::Update() + 1548
10  boundlessworldbuilder         	0x0000000104827a56 PanelWindow::Update() + 470
11  boundlessworldbuilder         	0x000000010481e067 editor_main(int, char**) + 471
12  boundlessworldbuilder         	0x0000000104821ce7 main + 599
13  libdyld.dylib                 	0x00007fff9b2d55ad start + 1

the world builder is a bit confused about where to put things on OS X:

1 Like

stdout from world builder is a bit hilarious when migrating configs (actual behavior appears fine). Here’s a taste:

MIGRATING WORLDBUILDER CONFIG FROM CONFIG_VERSION '7'
MMIIGGRRAATTIINNGG  WWOORRLLDDBBUUIILLDDEERR  CCOONNFFIIGG  FFRROOMM  CCOONNFFIIGG__VVEERRSSIIOONN  ''77''

MMIIGGRRAATTIINNGG  WWOORRLLDDBMBUIUIGIMLRLIDADGETERRIRA N TCGCIO ONNWNGFOF IRIWGLGO D RFBFLRURDOIOBMLMU D ICECLORODN NEFCFRIOI GNGC_F_OVIVNEGEFR RISFSGIRI OOOFNMNR   O'C'MO 7N7CFO'I'NGF
_
IVGE_RVSEIROSNI O'N 7''7
'
MIGRATING WORLDBUILDER CONFIG FROM CONFIG_VERSION '7'
MMIMIGIGRGRARATAMTITIINIGNGNRG GA W TWOWIORONRLRGLDL DBDBWUBUOIUIRLILLDLDDEDEBRERU R IC CLOCODNONEFNFRIFI GIGC G OF FNRFRFOROIMOMG M  C CFOCORNONOFNFMIFI GIGC_G_OV_VNEVEFRERISRSGISI_OIOVNONE N R' 'S'I77O7N'' ''

Looks like the world builder is praying to an (evil) multithreaded deity :stuck_out_tongue: (Havok should be proud!)

4 Likes

Yeeeeessss!
PRAISE THE DARK GODS!!!

3 Likes

Isn’t that true of all migration code? Write code + pray for the best :pray:

5 Likes

I have a suggestion for the world builder…

During shifting my prefabs up one block so that they’re at ground level, I started adding a base so that it could be placed in the world… this made me question which type of base I wanted to do, and to be honest, it made the prefab feel like it could be limited in it’s placement due to the ground it’s built on (i.e. a prefab with a sand base may look completely out of place in the middle of a marsh!).

So, this is where the suggestion / idea comes in … in a similar way to the anti-block which removes blocks… I think that we should have a block type which is able to take on the properties of the strata or substrate of the biome that it’s placed in. That way the prefab won’t look out of place or look too “samey”.

5 Likes

That is actually much simpler than my block suggestion.