World Regen & More

Read the original post.

Oh my goodness, sorry! I totally forgot you started this thread :sweat_smile: I apologize.

That doesnā€™t solve the problem with inflation though, if resources get more rare over time the value will inflate thats basic market economics, and while inflation works great (to some degree) in our world game mechanics comes with an already unstable inflation rate that will jsut go out of proportions, at the same time only affecting rare resources will effectively hinder new players from prgressing because while the rare resources have become more valuable the common one still goes for roughly the same price.

1 Like

Holly ā– ā– ā– ā–  that was a long ass sentence. I feel as if you have a very narrow view on this. First offā€¦ Iā€™m not really super concerned with this inflation argument. Itā€™s a game for crying out loud. Give the size of these worlds and that youā€™ll be able to travel to many others leads me to believe that running into people will only happen if youā€™re intentionally trying to meet up with a friend. So prices are going to be all over the spectrum no matter what. For instance the place Iā€™m at thereā€™s tons of silver where as other places donā€™t have it. I have an abundance of silver. Where as others might not. Assuming resources work the way Iā€™d suggested above, eventually Iā€™d either sell it all thus increasing the ā€œtheoretical priceā€. Keep in mind players choose how much they want to sell something for there are no fixed prices.

Okay so Iā€™m out of silver and so thereā€™s less to go around until someone finds the mother loadā€¦ I donā€™t see an issue with this at all. Itā€™s not like inflation will be a permanent thing. If you know how large a world is you can easily code where resources spawn on set variables. Star Wars Galaxies did this really well.

1 Like

also to addā€¦

world regen wouldnā€™t be a problem for me if the progression was more rewardingā€¦ doesnā€™t make sense that you can walk like 100 feet after a world reset to get the same resources. Absolutely game killing immersion and sense of accomplishment.

Didnā€™t you just argue that resources shouldnā€™t respawn?

No that was never my argument to begin in the first place.[quote=ā€œThailen, post:4, topic:5636ā€]
Not sure I like this concept, perhaps if it were more onerous to find these it would make things more interesting
[/quote]

I simply stated that it should be more difficult to find rare and uncommon resources rather then just waiting 24 hour cycle to go back to the same location you were before and mine them again.

further more if youā€™ve never played Star Wars Galaxies, basically what they did was had a very large table which would shift resources in and out of each world within the game. Also all the stats would be randomized as well so sometimes youā€™d get a shift of i:e iron with ā– ā– ā– ā–  stats.

Obviously stats donā€™t apply here with resources but lets just conceptualize this for a moment. Keep the world regen because its import for anti-griefing.

Implement a mechanic where every time x region of iron is mined that during the next world reset it would spawn in a different location that isnā€™t 50 blocks or less from its original location.

After reading through this, there has not really been a lot of discussion about this topic. Personally, I like world regeneration. If any of us have played games where the environment is not cleaned up automatically (e.g., Hurtworld, Minecraft, etcā€¦) those regions or areas do not look their best to say the least. Random blocks of this or that, which may not even be part of the natural biome, looks ridiculous and frankly ruins the natural beauty of the landscape and the artwork put into making the area/world look like it does. Material acquisition with a regenerating world on the other hand is a separate topic to be discussed IMO.

1 Like

The world would be random but ore spawns would have to be predetermined and dynamic in the sense they move around the world forcing players to actually explore for them.

Right now all you basically do is explore until you find a good spot and you build and never have to move again because things respawn right bellow you all the time.

1 Like

That have been the plan the whole timeā€¦?

I started this subject because I had questions regarding the current state of this game feature hoping to get more information which no one has provided.

Is that not how villages and cities were founded? A very useful resource that is readily available to be harvested. I am certain this game does not have a nomad-like concept when it comes to building thriving communities. Build here, deplete that resource, pick up, go to a new location, build here, depleteā€¦ you get my point.

The idea of having specific regions with regenerating resources is not a bad idea, and currently there is no area that I have found which has every single material you need, let alone even 3 or 4 that you would need.

And we then used 3 days talking past each other, eh that happens.

Also Heurazio kinda started out with specifying that it didnā€™t spawn the same place:

Near in this case not necesarily meaning close by but within reasonable reach.

This is not true. Resources are not respawned in the same location. You canā€™t camp on good seams of resources.

World Regen - returning the Wilderness (area outside of Beacons) to itā€™s original state, andā€¦
Resource Regen - added resources to fully regenerated Wilderness, areā€¦

ā€¦disconnected but related systems. Theyā€™re also both balanceable independently. We could configure World Regen to be fast and Resource Regen to be slow.

World Regen - aims to reduce griefing, allow players to explore the world as if it was unexplored by other players (no nerd poles, and caves full of torches), remove abandoned builds (with another sibling system), and hence keep the challenge and experience fresh for everyone. We can even balance the way the chunks are selected for regen (remoteness, last visited, last edited, etc) and the rate of regen (only return N blocks, or a % of blocks). The regen actually fills in holes from the bottom and demolishes poles from the top. So itā€™s more like a natural deterioration system.

Resource Regen - aims to introduce resources into the economy. We have resource sinks - systems that take resources out of the economy (building, crafting, tool degregation). We must have resource generators to replenishing the stocks. There are other ways of doing this. In the past we considered having daily or weekly worlds that could be mined and then taken offline and replaced. But ultimately we prefered the regen approach - as it solved other issues at the same time.

As configured busy / active places will not get their resources regenerated, and youā€™ll need to explore to find rich seams. Likewise we can control the resource distribution per biome so youā€™ll need to explore to find all the resource you required. Likewise it might be more efficient to collect some resource on other worlds that our rich in an element.

We can and will balance the 2 regen systen independently.

Whilst discussing this area I think itā€™s helpful to think about them independently.

However, the system and itā€™s current configuration arenā€™t final. Any and all feedback is valueable to get it setup perfectly. (Which it clearly isnā€™t at the moment.)

(FYI - we created the build timelapses in the trailer by running the regen quickly and playing the captured videos backwards. So we started with the city, regened to the original world state, and reversed the video.)

6 Likes

Wow! I would never have known. To me it looked like it was built from the ground up :sweat_smile: I am now going to re-watch the trailer in a new light, and thanks for replying with some good information on the systems you have set in place! I think now that people know everything is not thrown into one regenerating system but rather multiple components that can be worked on to produce the end result will bring up some better discussions.

Discussing things with a co-worker and he suggested a slow regeneration. Basically, say you build something outside of a plot, say, a roadway. Once it has been built, the road will slowly deteriorate and need to be maintained. An idea for the world regenerating slowly could be for example, a forest that slowly re-spawns or grows, to give the world a more natural feel instead of instant regeneration. Thus giving the entire world a more natural feel even if it is something player made, also it will limit resources in heavily populated areas.

1 Like

This explains a lot! I was under the impression they were the same thing. Thank you for making this a lot more clear. Maybe its just me and my experience so far. But Iā€™m pretty sure the silver thats bellow my building spawns relatively in the same spot every 24 hours.

I think we just live on the richest planet :wink:

elopor? i find a decent amount,seem to find med coal and gold more often then anything (other then the obvious of the common metals)

Gold silver titanium and coal. At this point in the game what els is there?
If I want gems I have to travel off world and there are better fossil planets to but I have never found as much wealth on any other planet.