World Reset and testing before 1.0

I know @james has communicated that we will get about 6 months or so warning before 1.0 is scheduled for release. Also, obviously at the time of 1.0 a new set of planets will be generated and we will shut down and store the existing worlds.

But, my question is whether we will have a world wipe prior to 1.0 (around that 6 month warning) so that we can have one more full play-through test of the game mechanics and environment for feedback and testing?

If that is not on the books, I would strongly suggest we do that. It gives us the best potential to really give final pre-release feedback on the game…

15 Likes

I think that’s an excellent point. I know that there is plans to (potentially) let early backers get a slight head start on the 1.0 new worlds, but an isolated 1.0 fresh start to test 1.0 conditions maybe a month in advance of 1.0 would be wise.

8 Likes

Here is some good info concerning this

in short they plan to do one rest b4 launch for extra testing and they are saving an extra wipe for an unforeseen need… beyond the understood reset at launch

3 Likes

This is first time i see, and i do not like it.

1 Like

I was skeptical too, but supposedly it’s to allow veteran players to set up towns so new players have places to trade with when they first join. Much like the experience new players are getting now, or they will get if they buy the game weeks or months after 1.0 launch.

6 Likes

Oh I missed that one post about the wipes… Thanks @Jiivita. Certainly, though, I mean a full wipe way before release that would then be played out and wiped again at the time of release. This way we can experience the last development things but still start over.

As to the other mentions about letting backers get early access. I can see how early stuff could be helpful… but it might also cause others to not try to set up their own things because existing stuff already exists. Also a major concern with early towns/hub networks is that it can easily set an environment where other people cannot compete because of established players and hubs especially if the early player numbers are low. Not to mention the backers know the dynamics of the game and should easily be able to move forward very quickly over new players.

3 Likes

am i an early backer?
on explorer level

Everybody playing before 1.0 is an early backer

4 Likes

thanks for the reply havok btw saw your hub looks awesome
only bad thing its not on therka :grin: would love to link up

A therka portal is planned. I’m actually starting it tonight, I just need some materials.

3 Likes

can i offer you a spot on plaza?
i can provide portal conduit just say what size
cause im doing remoddeling right now so i fit it in now lolz :grin:

Portal won’t be ready for a few days, but as soon as I know the portal size I’ll let you know. Likely 8x8.

I don’t play much on weekends, may be tuesday before I know for sure.

What materials do you need?

Either raw green gleam or compacted emeralds.

1 Like

Which planet is this on? I have a lot of raw gleam I’ll be gaining from a build I’m disassembling on Berlyn. I’m assuming color doesn’t matter? I’ll just give you whatever you need, I don’t have current plans for it.

Maybe we should keep this thread on the original topic please… Havok has a thread about his new hub already.

We will still need some developer direction on their plans that are updated since the information so far seems a bit dated.

3 Likes

when I think about a wipe before 1.0 my gut reaction is :scream: but then i calm down and think about it and I’m all like :scream: .
that being said it’s probably a good idea after a few more key components are introduced like the fordge and a skill system that everyone is happy with… who am I kidding lets say a skill system that 80% of us are happy with.
I will be sad to see my last year’s worth of work go but it would be the best way to test the system out.

5 Likes

It will be sad to see the creations go but I can’t lie, then idea of starting completely from scratch and building even better things has me excited.

3 Likes

I don’t want to see things go either but when I look at my expectation to help the game development then we should be resetting the maps A LOT more. Maybe quarterly or something. I am here to help the game play be solid and make sense… that cannot be done easily with the production world after your ALTs move up a level.

Everyone loses touch at how the game will truly feel to beginners… I know there is a testing world but that doesn’t show the full dynamics of game play with people interaction, hubs, etc …

If we all really wanted a success we would ask for more frequent wipes…

2 Likes

My personal feeling is that testing early game can be achieved with a full wipe on the testing servers (not a copy of a recent snapshot of the live servers).

The live servers should be kept as long as possible as they are a showcase of what is possible to create within game. Recent social media interactions showing big builds made by players (Therka Market for example), have shown that these are important for advertising and the continued growth of the game.

1 Like