Worldbuilder-filter

A 3D-filter i miss is a blend between 2, or more, noises depending on height.
Input noise for high altitudes and for low, with a setting for blend-altitude, thickness of blend-zone and sharpness of blend.

A checkbox for noise-generators to invert the noise would also be nice. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actually I just remembered this, you can use use remap to invert noise, setting min to 1 and max to -1 inverts your noise function.

(It is funny because I was doing something completely unrelated but the thought suddenly popped up about the post you made :smile: )

1 Like

Yes, but was thinking it would be handy and not so hard to implement, a little less stuff in the node-layout…

1 Like

Yeah it would definitely UI wise be easier to figure out.

Yes, i have seen quests in forum, how to invert noise.
I have a lot remap-nodes to, just to invert, lying around and mess up the view…

1 Like

A nice thing to have would be a setting for strata to rotate, from 0 to 90 degrees.
Could rotate it to fit mountain-sides, or at 90 degrees, do some fracturing and lines in the landscape with different materials.
Maybe a chess-board patterned world. :slight_smile:

Another one that will not be so hard to implement is a 3d-generator that take a image as input and extrude it to chosen amount. Nice to use it with other 3D-filters.

One that i miss to (Probably can do it now with a little work.), is a mix-filter to blend 2 noises as a function of a third. So using a b/w image as function should put noise A at black part on function-map, and noise B on white, and gray-scale a corresponding amount of both.

And i like to see numeric inputs, to get correct value via sliders is hard.

Probably coming up with more, while life go on…

1 more :slight_smile:
I want to be able to select the default material (stone now).

And maybe divide the ui in two categories of nodes, generators and filters, will be easier to understand.

A threshold/posterize filter…

4 Likes

Just adding the old worldbuilder thread here so it is easier finding stuff: World builder suggestions

2 Likes

Nice thread, missed that one.
But this one started as a single suggestion about a filter i missed. :slight_smile:

By the way, i cant see the pictures in that thread, or in the links in it.
Its maybe outdated some way.

I repaired the pictures, but I can not repair the link to forums.oortonline.com due to encryption issues. That would be the old obsolete forum, so I doubt there is much useful information there anyway.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for help.

Edit:
Yes work now :slight_smile:

A high-map for water would be good.
Could make some interesting biomes in combination with ordinary high-map, with water in different levels.

But i do not know how water-generating will work yet.

1 Like

Water is generated at a set height, but you might be able to do some fun stuff with lakes.

2 Likes

Agree! We could make more believable rivers w/ that, too. (Though it might be better to have a specific generator for rivers)

2 Likes

Lakes are going to be procedural, i think. Thought more to make a image ground high-map and place water in specific spots, like a pool on a roof, little ponds on different highs and so on.

Water-generator blocks have the disadvantage of keep going and maybe flooding other areas.

Maybe it should be possible to use strata with water-blocks (or lava), and set replace to a block-type you only use for that.