Would boundless be better off if it cost 1/2 as much to buy?

i Just got the game a few weeks ago and was undecided about getting it at first. Im on PS4 and my brother share played it with me. Played for 15 min and was all in. Maybe they should offer a free demo or first 10 lvls are free to play type deal IDK. The price is a fair one but is still up there when your not sure if your going to like it or not. Its a great game and i hope more will give it a chance.

1 Like

No, I DK!

Also welcome. And thank you very much for the feedback, I agree it is a tough sell but a good value if you play.

1 Like

I would wonder if the game could use a free weekend but with the ability to claim land that would probably not result all that well.

They did that with a Steam free weekend and we ended up not increasing the steam users and with beacons that had to expire scattered across the planets.

1 Like

What if it was a free weekend where if they logged in for 2 weeks straight each week, they get a free 80 plot box? As incentive.

2 weeks could give them plenty of time to get their bearings and comfortable. Maybe meet a friend or two.

Then they get rewarded for sticking with it.

Edit: Meaning they try it for free and if they buy the game on that weekend, then in 2 weeks of consistent log ins they get 80 plots free. Maybe with a 1 hr played each day or something to make sure its pushing people to explore instead of just popping on and off.

This isn’t a F2P game though. The goal with a free weekend is for them to buy the game after the weekend ends.

Maybe they could spawn on a T0 freebie planet. At the end of the trial, if they buy the game, they get access to the Boundless Universe.

Just saw your edit…most of them won’t understand the value of free plots. I still have to walk new players through placing & fueling beacons sometimes. :woman_shrugging:

Ah ok. Yeah I wasnt meaning for f2p idea. More like “buy now and receive” idea.

Yeah. I can see that problem of them not knowing the weight of free plots.:frowning:

Not sure then.

I could see a short free weekend period once creative mode is fully incorporated in a released version (PC/PS4).

The Devs could allow players to freely build anything in creative. I would restrict live access to just exploration with no allowance for plots. New players could see the MMO portion with no actual impact to the player base that purchased the game.

If everything for creative mode is on the client side, then there is also no real lengthy increase to server burden. The only impact would be a spike in the user base.

Edit: corrected terminology.

1 Like

TMK creative mode will be a rental planet/server type…not like Minecraft creative mode.

Is it a server instance now? Based on the discussion, I just assumed the version out today was client side.

Edit: I see where my confusion came from. Are PC users are standing up a server instance on their local machine versus the Boundless AWS servers? So the client wouldn’t actually be running creative mode but accessing the local server right?

I think they said it will be awhile before console players would be able to access Creative (might be wrong :woman_shrugging: ). It may depend upon which rental planet type you go with - creative or a regular rental planet that is accessible via the live universe.

1 Like

I doubt it will help.
They did it before, and the problem is player seems like don’t want to stay for long term.
1-2 weeks later, everything will just back to the same.

A free weekend is attractive for lvl 50 players with a lot of sources and great understanding of the game.
If only 2 days free for brand new players, 2 days they can only experience like less than 10% of game’s features which is not attractive enough I think. But for people who already know the game I guess they don’t need free weekend since they all have account already lol.

I think they need to spent more time on promotion side. A great youtube video trailer will help.
Sometimes you don’t need players love the game right away, you just need to attract them by a good start. Or paid more streamer to stream the game, It will bring the traffic too. Especially for great builders, I think Boundless still the most beautiful building game in market so far.

2 Likes

I had known about this game since it was Oort, but I wasnt able to remember the name. I saw it again when a friend was streaming from it, but the price deterred me for months. I bought it when it went on sale, and when another game I was playing updated itself in a way that deterred me from playing it further, then I had more time to spend on another game, like oh how about Boundless!

I didnt buy at full price because of… “what if I dont like it? I just wasted a lot of money I could have spent on something else.”
But after playing for a while, I am like…

I like this game alot! Here, let me throw a few hundred into the cubit system

2 Likes

Have seen this topic pop up again several times now.

To be fair don’t know if mentioned before…

So here it is…

Boundless is a download not a hard copy. So catering to that. It might be a good idea to design a “demo” game that can be upgraded.

A very limited version of the full game.
There are games available that are “free” but very limited. That can be upgraded with a “key”.

“Free” version you are limited to LVL 20 max (no +) can’t buy cubits or GC.
The choice can even be made to leave cosmetics out of the mix.
This way its free to play and limited.
Showing in sanctum the information that they have the free version and the additional information on the benefits of the full game.

That way when new players fall in love with the game and want more of it they can utilize the information from sanctum and chose to upgrade. To one of the other full versions and unlock the ability to level up to lvl 50 and 50+, gain the ability to buy cubits and GC (cosmetics).

But first the tutorial and the explanations for newbies needs a little tough love to explain the basics a little better. No it’s not bad but it needs more.
Basic tutorial even that it does makes clear to some degree to make use of knowledge and the journal. But it lacks in explaining why knowledge is important and it has been from the start (PS4 release) but since shop scanner even more.
Levels also need a better explanation as it is also a frequently asked questions.
Also skill points and skills benefit from more information.

Maybe introduce a limit to the beacon fuel for the free to play beacons for example by making them only worth half of the time.
Or a free edition only beacon that can only be fueled by simple beacon fuel.
Or adding to the campfire that they can be fueled buy the cheapest fuel and locking the beacon as non functional in those free to play plots.
This all to give an incentive to buy the game in an other way.

I do see this will bring its own problems and stuff with it but I don’t think current versions need to be made more cheaper. Just keep the sale here and there but don’t lower the prices in general.

I do think we need to do something to grow the player base. And a “limited demo” version of boundless feels to me as a better way to go.
And i do think free to play (how ever limited) is the answer.

(I am not that technical and don’t know how much work it will be)
Just a suggestion.

It’s 50% off right now

4 Likes

I’m curious to see what happens now, lol. Cool

1 Like

50% off on PC, no sale yet again on PS4.

Good to hear there’s a sale going on rn, might get a few new players.

just bought a copy for a friend ,hopefully they enjoy it as much as i do =D

2 Likes

This is why they need a good youtube trailer.
Instead of saying like you can build / you can hunt…etc.
They should tell their audience how can you build in Boundless, how can you hunt in Boundless, how portals work and how to meet people around the world. But in the youtube trailer if i remember correctly, they only mention like you can explore/ you can build / trade/ …and be boundless. lol.

If I don’t know about this game at all and I see the trailer, I will just feel like this game is most likely Minecraft with server and mods. But after you fully experience the game, you know its not like that.

As result, sometimes you don’t expect people buy the game directly to experience it, this why a good commercial Ads will help a lot in this case. Also for streamers, its too hard to rely on them because its hard to tell if they fully understand the game or just like new players who just start the game in only 2-3 days.