Would this affect your purchase?

I know everyone wants an absolute concrete answer on this. In some more simple games, you could get one. However, Boundless is a complex, intricate, living game. Devs can’t know how players will use and/or exploit their game. This is true for any game, especially these large, complicated ones.

Exploits and bugs that players find, provide the devs with useful info. Not all exploits are inherently bad or should be a bannable offense. It depends on what it is, how it can be used, to what degree it was used (ie: could it break the game or destroy the economy?), etc. I believe people were asked to contact them (James & team) privately with the info. Several players have chosen to post it here on the forums. I think this happens because: A. the rules are quite vague and not consistent, B. because this community is connected/comfortable/friends with each other. Devs have to go on a case by case basis. They have to consider intent, damage done or the possibility of it, if it’s a useful exploit that should be added/kept/green-lit, and so on.

We can see that Monumental is going through material/data and updating the info. At some point, I assume they’ll go through and update the Code of Conduct. They should add a clause for bugs/exploits/scripts/macros that’s more clear & consistent. Maybe they won’t though. They may need to leave it vague so that they can continue to determine things on a case-by-case basis.

If there is a big influx of players at some point, they’ll need to keep a closer eye on these things. Since this is a living MMO, the economy is an important feature that has to be monitored and protected. It affects everyone’s gameplay.

Personally, I don’t like it when people use exploits/mods that others either can’t or aren’t aware of. Some of these things that players come up with are quite ingenious though. The devs have to consider each one on a case by case basis. There’s really not a better way to go about it.

10 Likes

Thank you for this reminder of Majorvex confidence!

I am not yet a big player here but I would like to give my point of view here. Indeed, the rules here are very fragile, hence the way to evolve in this universe.

I think the genius discoveries (I applaud them) are very interesting for very very (very very) old players.

I almost really started this game three months ago and I must say that the progression is certainly difficult but very interesting and addictive as it was originally thought.

To encourage me to win plots on my side, I had to socialize and participate in hunts when I am rather lazy and introverted. What a happy thing!!! I was able to meet players regularly and share good moments of Gaming instead of sadly staying in my corner…

If I had had access to an XP machine in my first weeks, I would never have left my bubble of comfort.

The balance is not only economic, but also social.

I hope my text doesn’t sound like experimental poetry

6 Likes

For me i wouldnt give a flying f if the would have just crafting and thats it… But the fact that it has economy involved…
Example
player x generates 1000000 sand In 24hrs with bot/macro doing the work.

Player y generates 20 000 sand in 24hrs but y is actually just playing 8hrs from those 24.

X Then sells the sand For price of 0.01c each

Meanwhile the Y is selling it For 1c each

You see Where Im getting with This?

5 Likes

The hunts make me want to log in daily (when I can) even if I have nothing relevant to do in this game.

4 Likes

Bloom this is hilarious. It hasn’t been long but I enjoy your posts. Sometimes, to be honest, it does sound a little like poetry.

I assume, though, that it’s because you’re expressing yourself in a different language from your own, and without using a translator. Which is an admirable skill, and with a great vocabulary. What you write doesn’t sound like a machine.

In any case sometimes my writing gets a bit strange also, but to be honest I’ve really enjoyed your contribution to the overall discussion on the forum. It also helps that you’re generally bringing a bit of positivity.

3 Likes

I have absolutely no talent in the language of Shakespear but master rather well that of Moliere.

(I made a mistake, I deleted the beginning of my comment…).

The rendering is specific to the machine.

2 Likes

I think most of us do. I sat in my tree farm for a very long time farming sap. It’s a simple process, and it’s both boring and stressful on the arm. Then things got a little more competitive, lots of undercutting. I started asking around and came across something very similar to what’s in that pic. Later after some discussion, also that one - there were others. Mostly just people using AutoHotKey locally.

Some things you still have to dedicate the time of your computer to. AutoHotKey can send keystrokes to an idle window, I’m pretty sure. This means that you can have your character running without even having focus on the boundless window while you use it to browse the web or do your other work. I was pretty flabbergasted. I mean, not that such tools exist - I used them professionally for years. But that people had turned them on something as simple as Boundless.

After james’ statement I worked with a couple of macros. The above tool and another were still available to me via discord and I had some other automation software living on my machine. I’ve actually never worked with AutoHotKey but it looks like a great tool and the one I had was very old.

I got a new PC this year and right now there’s not a tool on it, but next time I play with one, it will be AHK.

Anyways, as it does, after a while it took the fun from the game. And use of the compiled executables I tried still meant devoting the PC to boundless in the foreground so macro use meant I had to forego using the PC for anything else except maybe playing a movie. This kind of play is restrictive and boring.

But of course it’s not just about playing or AFKing.

These tools provide a solid percentage improvement to output via consistency as well. And most importantly, it’s about the sheer physicality of playing the game. The massive volume of materials required for even a middle-sized build with low to mid-level blocks can be tremendous.

James’ statements on this were nonexistent and vague, always. I’ve never seen anyone directly banned, and I know at least one player who could load several alts and farm blocks for up to 90 minutes straight AFK was still active long after several players reported them. I continue to find that super frustrating. But also - as many here note, it’s nearly unstoppable.

Anyways the poll results here - with a great turnout - show a very balanced response. Comments overall indicate that most players are not knee-jerking to the existence of such a thing. And many players indicate that if guidance was clear, they would be interested in these kind of tools.

Since I started this thread I’ve been asked for the software in the pic. Which is a several years old win10 executable. I would like to share it, but without clear guidance, I won’t. The place I got it from is long gone - mostly because the core of the group got bored of the game. But other people probably have copies.

I haven’t even played boundless enough since I got this PC to need it, though when I was pulling a million gleam blocks I started wanting it. Again, the physicality. It took me a week to do that and I know that with software assist I can sustain output nearer to 140k blocks/hour. Manually it’s hard to stay near 100k and I’m not a full time player any more.

Ignoring hunting, easily 50% of boundless gameplay can be reduced to arranging things properly, and alternating two button/mouse clicks. For hours. And hours. For some players that is the large majority of it, and that’s the literal recipe for RSI.

There are lines, obviously a thread about advertising a way to AFK grind free premium currency is not the best foot to put forward as “advertisement” for the game. It’s game-breaking and will primarily attract players with a regressive attitude about supporting the game and the groups of people that keep it going for us. The people that will swear forever to never spend a penny buying something if there’s a way they can take it for free. Ridiculing those who pay, etc…

Much like my feeling on PVP “but only in certain places”, though more extreme. More extreme because the kind of people that run around trying to get people mad and bait them into PVP are a passing nuisance. The social and economic effects of a hidden bot economy are more subtle and potentially harmful in several ways.

I feel the very best scenario is wide open honesty and sharing. If people aren’t afraid (or just nervous or whatever) to approach the topic in the first place then things stay on a much more even keel, and for the most part the players have a level playing field where they can decided for themselves what tools they do and don’t want to use.

Also such an open environment means that things which do concern the community are going to come to the surface sooner, and get addressed more directly. Again with people who want to come cry about how “macros and bots are cheating” then convince themselves that mechanical devices are somehow not.

I mean I honestly have enough pieces within 35 - 40 feet of me right now to clamp an actual robot arm to my desk and let it farm blocks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To me, that’s not fundamentally or morally different at all from a program that sends the two necessary keystrokes, or a rock on the spacebar. You can take a hammer in your hand, and hit something. If you hit a nail it’s a wonderful tool. If you hit your neighbor it’s a deadly weapon. It’s all about the actions you choose to take with the tools you have available.

Overall thanks I’m pleased with the balanced response to the poll, and the level tone of the majority of responses. There’s some additional dynamic here with the PS4 cross-play but in the end an open environment regarding this kind of thing does result in some overall improvements to the general economy and the social environment in the game.

It will be great if in time we can get some clear guidance on this. Enough words to satisfy the armchair lawyers and comfort those who wonder, legitimately, where the lines are. This is a silly metaphor but it would be good if you could loan your hammer to your neighbor because they have to drive some nails - instead of hiding it in your closet and denying you have one, because it’s possible you could kill someone with it.

Anyways there’s another book from me. Now primarily we wait, I guess.

2 Likes

I haven’t read everything but try to breathe a little… My favorite contemporary composer, and he’s Américain :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I usually go in a different direction, musically but I had a listen. I had a great time enjoying this track last night, thanks to a link on Reddit:

Watching this guy whip that recorder into a frenzy is incredible. The recorder is definitely underappreciated and to see it worked so thoroughly with someone who understands the oral technique as well as the body is very impressive. He’s a real performer.

1 Like

It’s nice to share our little pleasures despite the cultural and geographical distance. I am delighted to meet you @Nightstar :cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Good read :ok_hand:.

I think i know Who you mean with the 9 char thing. As i witnessed it when there was alike 9 afk chars At one of the gleambow event… The purpose was just To get biggest gleambow To spawn i guess… Wich is ok but Then again you are blocking People to get To the world as you hold 10 slots For yourself.

Personally Im just Waiting respond To this cause my motivation towards the game aint so big and with This its even lower.

This actually happens at a few places. Gleambow a lot, also to some extent on hunts. I believe there may be instructions for the use of a particular virtual machine here on the forums.