Would you rent a planet if you couldn't

I would like to see Apt’s palette choice :grin:

5 Likes

I agree! I was thinking rental planets get a second set of plots that match your normal amount but can only be used on rental planets.

Edit: unlimited would be awesome though!

if unlimited plots on private planet were a thing, maybe some sort of cubit reset token for ppl who bought plots with $ so they could exchange now useless plots for planet subscription

I’d do a color palette of all greys blacks and whites. Not because I’m depressed or anything, but because I want those mats, and it would really make the builds stand out! Like in one of those obnoxious sequences in movies where everything is black and white except the main character.

@GrayFrequency

1 Like

From fleeting conversations I have had, there are 2 choices that are undeniably confirmed currently…

Region and Tier.

Whitelisting players will also be available. What this will mean is that, anyone whitelisted will be able to see your world in the sky and warp/portal to it. Everyone not whitelisted won’t be able to see it in the sky, nor will they be able to follow you through a portal/warp to reach it.

If for any reason you remove someone from your whitelist, their plots will automatically be reclaimed.

The original thinking was to just allow players to just choose region and tier… and the world would be generated, I assume, by whatever process handles normal planet generation - However, AFAIK this is all still TBD and is subject to change.

Personally, I would like also to be able to control what colours my world is, what biomes it has, the liquid type, atmosphere colour, style of landscape and at least some choice in type of weather (I’d hate to have a constant rain planet like Beckon!!).

If I don’t have that sort of control, I don’t see any point paying IRL money for it.

8 Likes

I think the creative mode debug UI allows for choosing palettes. If world builder can’t be used by the general public my assumption is we’re going to get something like that.

it would be mostly brown, but selected with meticulous care

3 Likes

If this is actually how it works, I assume they won’t allow any new colors whatsoever, for obvious reasons… right? Otherwise there will be pitchforks and people charging 10,000c per day entry fees to their planets with desirable colors.

2 Likes

Personally, if I couldn’t control the colour scheme or tier of the planet, I definitely wouldn’t pay for it. If I didn’t have plotting control on my planet I probably still wouldn’t, but it’s less of a deal breaker for me if the rest of the package is great.

Personally I’m hoping that when we get our hands on it, we get to pick biomes from a library to add to our world. If Wonderstuck were going to do that and are smart, they’d put out feelers before hand asking for worldbuilder-created biomes and props to add the library like they did a long time ago… (although I’m not sure how much came of it). The fact that they haven’t means it’s either some way off still, or that level of detail just isn’t on the cards right now :frowning:

Selecting a tier and atmosphere should be enough to determine resources (if they are to be part of the main universe).

1 Like

That’s the thing… if there will be pitch forks… there will be no colour choice.

2 Likes

Couldn’t they make it so anyone can VISIT any world, but to PLOT you have to be whitelisted?

That would seem to make more sense to me, unless I’m missing something?

This is why we can’t have nice things.

5 Likes

maybe we could only choose from perma colors and some other pre-approved colors ? (I’d be ok with that as most of the colors I want are already used, just not in 1 place)

4 Likes

You say it’s for ‘obvious reasons’, but if the colour of the block is the only thing that’s different, then people would essentially be paying RL money for a cosmetic. Given how most people say they’re fine with cosmetic only micro-transactions, then it’ll either be fine OR they’re a bunch of hypocrites and they’re actually only fine with micro-transactions when it suits them.

5 Likes

In my experience from extensive polling on the forums (seriously what does a guy have to do to earn a forum title around here @Leahlemoncakes), for any question you ask, 40-60% of people will be opposed to it.

Block colors I would argue are not cosmetic. But even when I did polls about RMT cosmetics, there was significant opposition.

2 Likes

Ain’t that the truth. We very much take a “community divided” approach to polling.

1 Like

That’s ok for some, but not for all.

Now, imagine that a world renter is denied a colour choice they want, because it’s not in the current perma-worlds… sometime later… more players join the game, new perma-worlds are created… your desired colour now appears on one of them…

I know I wouldn’t be overly happy about it.

7 Likes

I probably wouldn’t if i couldn’t, because it wouldnt be that i could. But i should if i could, and i would, if it could be made of wooden pudding.

2 Likes

But… how? A coloured variant that you have to pay for of something else that you can easily access is pretty much the definition of a cosmetic in terms of gaming.

1 Like

Here’s one way to prevent economic concerns:

When warping to a rental planet, bring whatever you want.
When warping out of a rental planet, your inventory is emptied.
Feel free to have alts that are based on your rental planet and never leave.

Edit: Beacon reclaim cloud storage is also rental-planet separated.

Because of sprays and exo shops, mostly. It would unbalance the economy if only a select few could access certain colors. IMO.

1 Like