XP balance seems really off, encourages specific playstyles

This is probably the disparity. I’m trying to level as a miner while searching for rare gems.

Tell that to @Gorillastomp (I haven’t read the whole thread so I’m not sure if he’s chimed in yet). Pretty sure he was the first to lvl 50 and didn’t get there by hunting… With our lean core hunting group, doing T3 and T4 planet meteors we still agree that the XP gain from most other means is faster. The size of the hunts has died down to just a few of us who are really just doing it for the oort, not the XP.

I’d love to know what hunting techniques you use to get more XP…

You’ll get more XP searching for coal on Grovidias Te, for example, than gems on a T5 because you get through more blocks.

EDIT: I worry if we buff higher tier planets for mining then bomb mining XP gain will be SUPER high

I will agree. . the bombs were not intended for mining but for mobs. .the players were just smart enough to figure out how to use them in other ways. . if they up the xp for mining on higher tier planets then they need to maybe eliminate xp gain for bombs. . if they weaken the block fine you get all the xp for striking the block, but no xp for blocks that are eliminated.

Edit: this still makes bomb mining a good way to get the higher value resources like diamonds

3 Likes

and it allows you to get good XP WHILE mining for diamonds. much better than hunting even now.

I would bomb mine if I could :frowning: got severe headache a few days ago when I tried because of the bright flash each time a bomb goes off. My eyes still hurt from the flashing lights sometimes sigh.

1 Like

While this hasn’t been my experience, I haven’t tried just plowing through raw stone on low level worlds for XP, and I don’t always convert all my rock to stone, which would be even more XP that I’ve been neglecting. I guess I could refine it too since that only costs machine wear and no spark…

I’ll try it out, but in terms of gaining valuable resources I think gathering leaves and sap comes out ahead (but probably poor XP)

Especially at the mid and lower levels, plowing through stone is amazing xp! And you get a bunch of stuff you can later sell, since a lot of people are doing massive builds and probably need stones.

Since you brought it up, I did think the post above about mining on a level 0 world giving 10k XP an hour seemed high, so I tested it.

I got 3k XP in about 10 minutes. This was non-stop smashing rocks and grabbing literally any resource I saw because 16xp for 2 swings is better efficiency than 4xp for 1.

I was using food (earthyam soup) to keep my power topped up, but I was really surprised that the 10k/hr is if anything, about half of what a reasonably spec’d miner can do with an iron hammer on a tier 0 world.

Dang!! Seriously that much? I guess I do need some extra midnight azure rocks…

It’s really just a lot of rocks.

I have 8/8 power, 5/5 hammer mastery, and the hammer epic. The swing action is very fast, even with a heavy iron hammer.

when I say imbalance in xp I mean that I have to look for ways to make my activity xp-efficient, rather than have a situation where my xp gains are more or less same, no matter what I chose to do

so, in order to have my miner level up efficiently, I must go back to home world and farm materials using my better tools, instead of enjoying steady progression by mining silver/gold on higher tier planets and then moving up to mine gems o simply fishing for exotic rocks from higher tier worlds (which means slower xp due to blocks armour and no xp bonus for breaking them)

that kind of imbalance make me (and probably a lot of other players) torn between doing what I want do the most at the moment and doing something not so exciting (for me) so I can complete projects I really want to (just an example)

3 Likes

I was doing that today, I needed to level my character and instead of going to a higher tier world I went to a t1 where I could get rocks with one hit instead of two and gain xp faster. I did not need the resources, but I did want the skill points.

As someone who is at the point they are using forged tools, the xp is fine for mining. It’s just really lackluster using iron or titanium without the aoe. I have 9 block titanium hammers with increased durability and damage, I wipe through the Tier 4 worlds and gain a ton of xp from mining, and then turning thousands of rock into stone when I get home. Last night I used a single hammer and gained almost 4 levels out of the mining + crafting stone. In the 30+ level range.

1 Like

Yes, indeed it seems to go in stages. Low level fine. Then around 15-20 and a bit beyond, when still on iron tools and no Forge buffs, it’s either you stop progressing through worlds and reverse to farming xp on home world or you skip mining and do hunting fir a while. And what you show, when on Forged tools you can go mine on higher worlds and be fine for xp.

If you combine mining with crafting then you get some extra xp. But if you don’t want volume crafting epic and build strictly to mine and gather then you need xp from somewhere else.

So, again. Imbalance in gaining xp when performing certain activity is when you revert to other activities to level up, instead if sticking with what you want to do.

I think that may be a big challenge for newbies - players can get really far before discovering the forge (and even further before they realize what it can do to hammers)

2 Likes

Well before the Forge you didn’t get good tools until gem tier. And at this point you get gem tools around the same time you start having all the mats to play with the forge.

That’s my issue is I’m trying to track down information about what I need and what is beneficial and why for the forge. All I can seem to find are release notes and YouTube videos that mostly cover what the skill notes describe. I have absolutely no idea how to use the thing, and I fear when I do it won’t be worth it because I still can’t use it.

Well, off to ‘find’ some diamonds.

1 Like

That’s because we didn’t have the forge for long before they launched 1.0. We didn’t get much testing done with it.

Check out @boundmore series of forging, step by step how to use it.
It get me interested to start using it.

2 Likes