5 skill sets

As the dev’s have stated before, alts and skill pages have different pros and cons. I love being able to switch over to an alt to help a friend without wasting 2k coins to return to an exo planet.

4 Likes

I also think the teaching pie and rock xp changes in the upcoming patch, as well as the deeper skill pages on one character, means I wouldn’t recommend using alts to new players.

So you could just leave my alts there to die in the ui. I’m not really incentivized to play them anymore. I have skill pages to unlock on my main.

Plus the dev in me is terrified at the idea of building and maintaining a bug free flow that merges characters.

Tl;dr: the alt cull is already happening. It was inside you this whole time

2 Likes

Altception…

1 Like

I think there’s still an advantage to having alts for new players. Its decent and quick leveling up until 30. After that it drags out. So I think it may still bennifit a new player to have an alt for things like crafting and building while they level their main character.

4 Likes

Having 30 skill sheets available to my 6 developing characters may be enough that I won’t bother developing the rest of my character slots. I’m currently just starting to make active use of skill sheet two on them. But htis depends on how they intend to expand the game. Protective requirements are about to increase, among other things. In my opinion points per skill sheet is going to be an issue even for min/max players soon.

Forget having an all-arounder who’s solid for t7 worlds exploring and doing a bit of hunt/gather and mine with 100 skill points.

From an RPG perspective I would still rather have alts then skill sheets if a choice was to be made. But there’s not a lot of that going on here so, meh …

Also don’t forget (i know there is so much focus on plot management here) this is (up to) 10x outfits sold, 10x skill sheets sold, 10x body paint being sold. Etcetera…

There’s more subtle balance in skill sheets sold/vs alts used for a given player but overall The trend still carries through. I haven’t maxed all three skill sets on a character yet and I still tune with the occasional cleanse point as well.

I feel it’s in the games best interest to not force any player to give up their alt. Ever.

That being said, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to have the option to liquidate (muwaha) an alt and transfer all of that character’s xp over to another character. It doesnt necessarily have to be a chosen main.
Say you have 5 characters and decided you only want three. You can liquidate (I just like saying that but you could think of it like a refund too) two characters to two of the three you’re keeping. Those chosen two you’re keeping would also get the refunded cubits for buying those alts in the first place.

The plots, I am iffy on. The xp gathered on a lvl 30 alt will not equal the same in levels when transferred to a higher lvl character.
In my opinion the transfer would be a fair exchange, but some ppl really need those plots.
That’s why I feel regardless of anything else, this choice should always remain the player’s decision.

That being said, maybe a few weeks after the update when everyone gets used to the feel, there could be this as a limited time option since game play needs were changed?
First, of course, stating all the facts on what could or will happen so no one gets upset when they liquidate an alt and scream “I didn’t know blahblah would happen!”
Like a disclaimer.

3 Likes

I’ll probably keep an alt because somethings I do don’t take 15 min to do. Like clear shop stands and beacons. I wouldn’t know what to do with my shop owner for 14 minutes if was a skill page lol

Alts unite stand tall!!! Honestly I consider all of my characters my main.

2 Likes

Nope, alts and 5 skill pages I want it all!. But seriously even if you aren’t in full RP mode, for many players, including myself, different alts take on different personalities, exist in different parts of the universe and have different roles and jobs. I wouldn’t want to give them up even if their skills were redundant.

Also, considering there are 5 different crafting areas that you need separate pages to max, you’d need at least 7-10 pages have a single character do what most players want to do.

4 Likes

The change won’t change my play style at all. I only have 3 characters (4 slots, plan to use the fourth for a youtube video eventually). I welcome 5 skill pages, but I have a long way to go to get my main up to being able to have that many… perhaps I need to hit that stone xp machine again… lol.

For organizational reasons no, I would not, I have 3 Crafting alts that carry different types of crafting materials on them at all times so I don’t have to go looking around the storage bins for the crafting materials near as often. Makes it easier for me to just walk up to the machines and get things going.

1 Like

can’t get rid of alts. I’m sure lots of people share accounts. two of my alts have developed completely diforent personalities.
technomancer keeps the shop well organized and hates leaving the safety of his lair.
jeffro just throws what he has collected on any old shelf with no regard for technomancers storage system.
and loveless my new hunter … . well I just don’t trust him… I think he is not quite right in the head. I would liquidate him.
liquidate … liquidate … that is kind of fun to say.

6 Likes

Just wanted to update this up as I think it’s a good idea.

Adding my own thoughts as well, I have not used my 4th alt since the update, as I can do everything in the first 3, so if I could absorb that alt into one of the others that would be pretty useful.

I’ll say just now that I would be in favour of a reduction of alts per account overall (to 5 chars total max), and only allowing 1 alt per 50 levels gained (account wide). I know this is unlikely to happen now, but I think it would benefit the game long term if it was implemented at launch. Too much of an uproar if it came into play now.

If it’s an optional thing, I wouldn’t be too bothered about the cubit loss (from alt purchase), but maybe the cubits should be refunded as I think it would be a disincentive otherwise.

As for losing plots, perhaps skill points, plots, cubits and coins could be transferred, then xp transfers for level gain but no additional skill points, cubits or coin for the transfer xp?

That way there is no loss, but no gain either. Just one less unnecessary alt.

And I just realised this would be exploitable without some safe guards. Tricky, but then I’m not a game dev!

I would like to be able to name my skill pages. Always just clicking through and skimming the skills on each to find the right one.

hmm never had that problem. But I only have 1 character that I use so pretty easy to remember which is which.

5 Skill pages all maxed out and now out of order. Time to get some skill page resets and get them set up correctly i guess!

Why would you have me choose which of my children would die? What kind of horrible human being are you?

4 Likes

Put them in the compressor …

Seriously though - if I could move all my cubits, plots & SPs to 1 character and then remove the alts, I would.

1 Like

Finally, enough skill pages to make a crafter. It’s a shame about how you have to use the points though.

He’ll get his 5th page soon and then I’m looking forward to spending 50 points on volume/efficient crafting, 25 points on spanner mastery, 60 points on enviro protection. 40 points on control, probably 40 points on agility.

Sure I get reminded I’m on the wrong skill page when I try to mass something that requires other skills. I’m SO EFFING TIRED of repairing sometimes tens of coils before I realize I’m burning off a spanner doing 50% less repair per swing.

The amount of duplicate points required to be a functional crafter with a high level base is crazy.

I don’t get the posts from people who are like “OMG 5 skill pages I can do everything in the game now, I’ll never have another alt …”

Seriously right now since I started playing the game is the first time you can actually make a fully capable crafter.

As someone who didn’t amass level 700 before they quashed these problems I sure wish that they dropped a couple skill page resets with these new pages. Most of my characters reflect some hard compromise and even after I slow grind the cubits to get the skillpages There’s the matter of cleanse and reset points.

I have a chuckle almost every day when something comes up to remind me of the irony of naming this game “boundless”.

… that can function on a higher level planet.

If you stick on T1/2 you can have a fully capable crafter with 3 skill pages. Tho now with Blink/etc. I think I need a 4th to do it all.