A grind for a grinds sake, or an integral part of the game

I was playing last night and i suddenly thougt, why, oh why are things done this way. I suppose this may become a suggestion, but seeing as those turn into toxic arguments more often than not, i thought why not ask WHY we do things this way. I always thought of the game as a creative do your own thing and build as much as your time and imagination allow. A few things I see that prevent me creating more are:

1. Coil repairs. Been covered to death and lots of alternatives suggested. My question, as this is one huge huge pointless finger clicking waste of 30mins, is why is it still not changed/tweaked or even mentioned as a dev what can we change discussion

2. No craft all or craft X . I mean, all this does is risk RSI and cause it to take longer to do something that we all do. Yes, it might reduce prices of bricks etc, but as a brick seller i would take a hit gladly. I cannot think of another MMO that doesnt have this function and having it would allow us to create so much more. I would even happily take lower or no xp if you use the function.

3. this one is just pure suggestion. A clear plot function. For example using a bomb or tool thats not a simple craft (keep forgers happy) that deletes/destrots/clears everything in a plot. This would save a huge amount of time digging out or leveling plots when materials just arent a concern.

The first two i think are very changes that shouldnt a massive pain to implement would hugely improve QoL and reduce what i think is needlessly difficult mechanics

11 Likes

I think if you are going to eliminate maintenance on the coils then you just eliminate maintenance everywhere. No wear on machines and no retilling blocks on a farm after harvesting. If you are eliminating maintenance that just seem like time sinks (even if small) then go for all of them. especially retilling where you do not even get xp.

2 Likes

I have always felt that is one of the key issues. We took a game that has a perception of “creativity” over “work” and merged it with the MMO genre which on some levels has “progression” as a requirement. Putting those things together caused us to get this game - “creativity that requires progression”

I think many of us don’t mind that approach on some levels but are tired of the excessive technical requirements and processes behind that progression. We want a more simple merging of the two philosophies especially since it is highly linked to MMO versus SOLO game play styles that are at odds with each other.

I still think we need different games and game modes that are loosely coupled together just enough to keep things interesting but not overly merged like they are now. It creates too much conflict of styles and leads to losing players over gaining.

3 Likes

With Coil Repairs, they could do so much to make it less annoying.
1.) Fixing AoE Repair on spanners - would certainly be a nice start
2.) Make the machine itself repair all connected coils by a split amount so you only have to keep repairing once place - with a damage boon on the spanner this would make repair work tons faster.

Craft all would be a massive QoL, probably the main thing people use macros in this game for because it gets quite painful, definitely need this asap.

For the third one, i would only be ok with that if the process was limited to endgame stuff, like require lucent gems or something.

2 Likes

All would be nice, but i think u focused on the coils as its the oldest, and for me the one that just takes forever. As a middle ground I think the machine needing repairing/repair bombs or aoe tools would be a huge improvement.

I agree, the last one would need a price to pay. Newer players would likely want materials etc, but when planning a 1000 plot undground build i would much much rather spent 30-50k to save the literal days in clearing it.

@james could we get some dev input on the first two especially.

Is there a glimmer of hope/something you would look at, or just a sorry guys we cant do that right now (or anytime soon)

1 Like

If we could just have the craft all button and save my hand/arm from future injury that would be great :laughing:

5 Likes

I’d like to see coil repairs same way as u repair spark generators that are linked together.

4 Likes

Based off of the coils or off of the machine? I would love to see the coil and machine durabilities add together and be able to repair the entire multiblock structure from either smacking the coil or the machine. It would make the minter 1000x better as the coils and machine would run out of durability at the same time.

1 Like

I think if we had to get one, not both the craft all button would have to be my first choice. At least some of the coil hassle can be mitigated with speedy spanner forges/energy pies and the epic (even guild buff) but short of an autoclicker for u lucky PC players you just have to suffer the crafting cramps

1 Like

I think this is a viable solution, either that or just remove the coil wear and increase the speed machines decay/need fixing to compensate.

Im not after less repairs per craft, just an easier way to do them. Every time i set 20 refineries off to masscraft 30 lots of essence, i die a little inside knowing thats 2 lots of repairs on 480 coils.

i think the coil repair system should use the same repair mechanic as spark generators when stacked, meaning that all the coils in a stack are repaired at once instead of having to repair them individually.

Seems there are lots of slightly differing ideas to solve the issue, but surprisngly for a topic, everyone agrees it should be changed :rofl::rofl:. That in itself is surely worthy of dev attention!

1 Like

Oh man, this would be the one quality of life update that I would absolutely enjoy having.

2 Likes

Can you explain more what you mean by this? I don’t understand what you mean.

I don’t think I’ve ever understood the need for coil/machine repairs. If it was something that you had to do otherwise your machine would break and you’d have to get a new one, I’d hate it, but I’d at least understand that there was a bit of a purpose. Because things can’t actually break… it just feels like a needless time-sink.

As things currently stand, I’d be really interested to see if people could come up with a list of good reasons FOR machine repair. Even more interesting would be if we could get a Dev to tell us what the intentions of it are, and if it’s actually meeting those goals.

Personally I’d just do away with it and repurpose spanners for something else

6 Likes

Based on the coils connected so if u have a row of 12 coils linked reparing one would repair the entire lot. Like when u have 12 spark generators when u repair one all of them are repaired. So it would be lovely to have the same repair system for the coils would be so much faster to repair 2500 coils lol

2 Likes

When you craft something, wether its 1 stone or mass craft and you want to do it multiple times you have to just spam click one mass craft at a time. If you are crafting 25k rock to stones, this hurts. I cant think of a reason you cant just click craft all. E.g. a full queue on each table in one click, rather than 30 individual crafts

2 Likes

The devs should tumble 25k rocks so they can feel the pain, I bet we’d get our Craft All button then :wink: :rofl:

1 Like