A new name for Oort Online...?

Well, ‘ort’ is actually a word, too. It means “morsel left over after a meal.” I know we’ll have meals–and so I know we’ll have morsels left over (:bacon:). Now, we don’t want those to go to waste, so we’ll probably gather all of them into a single location (perhaps Tantien City) in order to fortify ourselves before battles with Titans. Since we know we’re out in space somewhere, that means what we’ll be stockpiling in our centralized repository are Space Orts, or “Sports” for short.

Thus, I conclude we could just call the game “SportsCenter Online.”

1 Like

I’ll be honest, I want to know why this is a topic. I am a HUGE fan of this game and believe anything less than success would be a crime. Usually, smoke leads to fire. Is the Oort business separating from Wonderstruck or is there an ambitious product marketer willing to risk brand recognition? Sorry to be so direct, especially in a game I love. But that is the million dollar question most of us want to know.

I really do not care if this is renamed and put on Kickstarter nor if the entire financial model gets redone. Success to me means a game I can play for years to come. Maybe some of us will be more cooperative if we know this is a positive sign. It is hard to not feel a little stress not knowing why this is being asked.

5 Likes

Just wondering, did you ever ask them about this during your monthly skype with the devs last month?

No. Believe it or not, I don’t try to abuse the monthly skypes. I believe everyone should have a fair influence on the game. I just get a huge kick out of seeing their excitement and the fruits of their labor.

7 Likes

Gleamscape is pretty interesting.

It desnt sound bad but I think it´s too close to Runescape and Blockscape.

3 Likes

Unennilium?

I have to say I love your, very creative and a tad bit sassy, names/stories behind the names^^

We have discussed whether there are better words to name / describe our game than Oort Online. For everyone who likes the name, there are many others that furrow their brow (we’ve been to shows, read comments etc).

This does not indicate a change to the product in any way, nor does it mean the game will adopt a new business model. It’s purely just a part of the product we think we can do a better job of. We’re not doing it for cynical reasons (ie; to republish to Steam with clear boards and reviews). Nobody changes the name of a failing product, this would be to configure us for the most success over many years to come.

And if we do change the name, I think you’ll agree it’ll be for something even better.

5 Likes

So I searched for words similar to a memory since this game’s story would mainly be about uncovering Oort’s legacy.

Anamnesis
(the recollection or remembrance of the past)

Antecendents
(the history, events, characteristics, etc., of one’s earlier life)

Forerunner
(a person or thing that precedes the coming or development of someone or something else)

1 Like

Thank you–believe me, it takes a lot of work to be this big of an idiot!

1 Like

The term forerunner is used extensively throughout Halo, so I’d stay away from that one.

Forerunner is also a truck made by Toyota.

1 Like

Halo also uses the word precursor as a name for an alien race when Jak and Daxter plus many others games/movies use it too to name their own vision of such race. It’s hard to avoid having your own thing remind others of something else in this fast-growing world.

I get your point though.

1 Like

Pentegoth: The Forbidden Orrery.

Thanks, I cannot help to feel a little worried. You guys have built a really cool game, which is on course to be the best of the genre.

4 Likes

I think it will stay Oort, although it is just a guess. Personally, I really love the Oort logo. But - it is so much fun to think of names In General. All those names could be used to fill the entire universe and make it even more lively and appealling.

1 Like

Didn’t read the entire thread, but “shards of creation” is one of the better I noticed. Not necessarily because it’s great but because it’s somewhat self-explanatory… and I personally believe good titles should be, especially from a marketing standpoint. (e.g. Mario Bros, Bionic Commando, Fallout, Grand Theft Auto, Warcraft, etc etc etc…all obviously reflect the content)

I don’t have anything against “Oort Online”, but I think it’s incredibly smart and brave to reconsider it for the reason above.

2 Likes

If a name change will be just for making it attracting more interest it would be ok for me, as long as you don’t change anything else (exept of the logo of cause … would be strange if not ^^). So let there still be the ancient Oortians, Creatures named Titans, Oort Shards and all the other stuff introduced by you since the first day of going into public with Oort. …

By the way: Before you change anything: What do I have to do to get one of your pink OortOnline-T-Shirts?! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Especially the wristbands :wink:

2 Likes