A Question for you pro chiselers

Can you make a “House” shape using only one block?

Nothing fancy, no overhangs or anything. just a pentagon with 2x 90 degree angles

Thx!

This is not currently possible

You need at least 2x2 blocks to make anything “house shaped”

Ah! I was afraid of that. Thx guyz!

i wonder why its not possible with bevel :frowning:

You can do it with 4 blocks, though:

3 Likes

…and it has the effective size of one block. With one drawback, it floats in the air :thinking:

1 Like

There are so many times that I wish precision chiselling opened up the ability to chisel blocks, precisely, on a half block scale. But then, I also want to be able to have a block contain halves of different materials; stone and wood, for example, so I don’t need to have bits of stone shown on my wood floor where I’m using half blocks.

I also wish there was an overlay applied on top of a block that showed what section of the block will be chiselled off.

At some point, I recall someone pointing out that there were quite a few block shapes already (192?) and that getting finer detailed will increase that count immensely.

1 Like

Curiosity got the better of me. If you take all of the potential slope-chisel-looking options on the right side of the image provided in that update, you’d have 116 options. If you then include the solid block and missing block states, that’s 118. The lowest you’d be able to represent that with is 7 bits (2^7 = 128). With 8 half-width blocks in a block, that’d be 56 bits to describe the shape of one block if we could chisel on a proper half-block scale.

I’m sure the real problem is that we’d be talking that many (2^56) 3D models of the blocks would need to be stored and ready for texturing.

1 Like

If they enabled sloping subdivision for each existing subdivision of a block they could build the existing shapes from that. While that would eliminate the need for square and bevel subdivisions and remove those combinations, it would instead increase whatever number of combinations slopes have eightfold.

I’m not sure how that data is stored right now. If it is a block metadata it would need less than 16 bits to describe the current data (8 bits for the subdivisions and 2 bits to describe which chisel type). If the idea I described were to be stored in the same manner, 64 bits of data would be needed (8*8 bits because of subdivisions in subdivisions).

Positive

• So many more shapes would be possible
  • Old tools could possibly still work
  • Retains the current aestethic

Negative

• Way more combinations
  • Maybe hard to get to work consistently with current tools
  • Could get really frustrating when working with tiny shapes
  • Rendering power and memory usage may take a big hit (as Brynjar said about 3D models)

Neutral

• A new chisel tool or set of chisel tools would have to exist to take advantage of the new possibilities

If this idea is ever considered, it would likely not be implemented in a long, long while because it might require an overhaul of certain parts of the game engine. So realisticaly, I’m just writing this to tease everyone. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I think chisel variations consume either 5 or 6 bits today (chisel type is specified via block type)

Going to full subdivisions would add, let’s say, 58 bits per block. That’s ~0.5MB per chunk (16x16x256)—which doesn’t seem too bad.

However, for our current worlds (288x288 chunks), that would add ~39.4GB of overhead. And the servers need to keep most of that in memory at all times, IIRC. Paging that would really hurt perf, I bet. Larger worlds (512x512 chunks) would require ~124.5GB.

Every bit counts.

(And this ignores the challenges of generating/designing textures that don’t look terrible for all those configurations)

1 Like