A way to ease the horrendous forge RNG

After one of the worse runs I’ve had on the forge, using techniques that used to be relatively good but seem to be progressively getting worse.

I won’t go into my horror story as I’m sure anyone who forges regularly will have their own anyway.

However, I would like to make a suggestion that would give the forger a little more control.

Each boon would crossover 2 gums.

Lets just look at aoe.

Its a special gum, but so is mag collector.

Everyone has had a run of mag collector into the teens when looking for aoe.

Special gum gives ‘equal’ chance of mag collector and aoe, with a small chance of a random non-specific boon.

Let say aoe was also an effect boon.

So both special and effect have aoe potential.

Load special and effect gum into the forge, increases the change of one specific boon (aoe in this case), while still giving a chance of the others, but just a bigger chance of the specific boon you want.

Thus could be extended to all.

3 Likes

I suppose that could work, but it kinda sounds more like a band-aid, to me.
It’s very doable, though, for sure.

But honestly, I’d rather be able to get rid of the RNG aspect altogether and just make it all about “Do you have the components? Ok then here you go!”.

So here’s a crazy crazy idea :
Let’s say you apply a gum. To take your example, it’s the Special Gum. You apply a second gum, the Effect gum. It changes the buff in the list of buffs from “Special buff” to “Area of Effect buff”.
If there is a buff that can be obtained from Special+Effect+something else, then you can apply it.

If there is no known combination, the UI would say “you cannot add this gum to the mix” or if the devs are monsters, adding the wrong gum would instead do something bad like adding quirk/defect points or something…

But you can also stop there, put some compound, gain some boon points, and you’ll have something like 90-100% chance to apply that buff as a boon.
Then you put a catalyst to transform the buff into vigor/something else and you start over with new gums.
If you have a buff-combination that only gives one boon, and you max-out that boon, then maybe the mixed-gum-buff can automatically be removed and replaced by a nice amount of vigor/stability. Like a way to say “hey, nice job, we’re done with that, neeeeext gums please!”.

I’m just spit-balling, there, of course. What I just wrote seems overly complicated even to me. It would make it impossible to use all your gums at the start of forging, and you’d have to switch more often while forging.
But I don’t know, I think I could like this more. There wouldn’t be as much RNG anymore.

In any case, I would also love to have something in-game that mirrors this thread because I keep looking at it everytime I need to make some big batches of forged tools. I even tried to put which gum = which boons I often use on a modular sign to always have it on hand.
Doesn’t feel good in term of game-design, when your players feel the need to have notes or online-bookmarks to be able to handle a gameplay, IMHO.^^

3 Likes

Deconstruct resin 3 is your friend.

Roll for what boons you want, if you don’t get them. Don’t waste your time on it. Deconstruct and go again.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m on they already !

Alternatively, having boon removal solvent be able to select which boon you want to use it one could massively help too. You just keep rolling special that way until it shows up, then boon removal solvent the 13 times things were put into mag collector.

I am in favor of a bit more strategic “Recipe” system, or at least a less punitive RNG system. in my eyes an unwanted boon, is as bad, or in some cases worse than, a defect or quirk. I read the replies saying “use boon removal, or tansmute” but this is where the RNG seems punitive. So because, the RNG gods have always hated me, I have to have more materials on hand, Limiting my selection of materials I’d like to have, all the while sacrificing more vigor and or stability, to remove these “Boons” which I don’t want. And hey EVEN BETTER, I get a bonus chance to get that same undesired “boon” right back… Thanks for playing… Now get back out there and try again.

3 Likes

I honestly want to know the % of the “boons” to me magnet seems to have a higher % to role than aoe. 2 aoe boons in 15-20 rolls makes me think that they have different percentages. But that’s just what I’ve noticed just like damage and crit effect boons. Sorry if off topic a little

Boon transmute does solve the 2 boon gums and increase the odds of getting the right boon on a 3 boon gum from 1/3 to 1/2. …

1 Like

That’s is kinda what led me to this.

On hammers I consistently roll many more magnet than aoe, well into the teens before I hit aoe.

When forging light sticks it’s the opposite, many more aoe than magnet.

I know people will just come out the usual rng negative bias, and i do understand what that is.

And even if that is the only thing that is happening, does that matter? Should the game not be a more positive experience? Shouldn’t it lean more towards a skill based system, or even just a way for people to manipulate the RNG to be more in their favour?

It used to be when I hit all the boons I wanted (usually after about 4/5 tries max) I felt good, I ‘won’ the forge, came away feeling positive about it.

Now, most of my forges take 10-20 attempts (some have gone even higher), using the same techniques for the same results. Now when I forge I just get feelings of increased frustration with a small bit of relief when I finally get what I’m looking for. It only reduces the frustration level a bit, I don’t come away with any positive feelings.

@james farming seems to be coming along very nicely, you guys are listening and adapting parts of the mechanics, please consider listening to the players about the forge as well, and make it a more enjoyable experience!

5 Likes

Yeah it just confuses me that 1 boon gum placed the same way will give you magnet or crit effect 13-18 times in a row but I’ve never gotten aoe or damage 13-18 times in a row. That’s why it makes no sense to me. It’s definitely not a 50/50 percent chance

Forging RNG definitely feels like it has changed in the last couple of months. I tend to get magnet and crit more then anything and I know we can use decon 3 to start over but when you have to use it 30 times before getting a good roll. It feels off.

3 Likes

Thing is, because aoe is what you aim for, there are those that will say ‘you don’t get it so many times in a row because you stop whenyou hit when you want!’.

However the next time you go to the forge, you still hit the thong you don’t want a dozen times before the one you do.

Anyway, I was trying to encourage suggestions on how to make it more enjoyable, rather than get side tracked with horror stories (we all have them), if you have any suggestions on how to make it more fun, I like to hear them!

And also losing 25% of your mats in the process.

If that is only over the course of 5 attempts, yeah, no biggie.

But if you have to deco 15-20 times on a regular basis, 25% of those mats is a significant amount.

I don’t sell my forged goods (well, some loot sticks, but not on a big scale), but the price of forged items is being forced ever lower, and if more mats are being used, I don’t envy those that forge and run big forge shops.

Unless there’s an an exploit there somewhere I’m not privy to!

Anyway, any suggestions on how to make it more enjoyable?

1 Like

I personally put 1 effect 1 special gum to begin with seems to me in my forging experience that have a better chance of getting damage or aoe on first roll. That’s my advice😁

Can shoot for aoe or damage after the CAT round. So you know which one to add the gum for

You know, for a while, I was starting off with no gum and just randomly rolling in, I seemed to get a boon I wanted just as often as I did using gums.

Funnily enough, when I showed this technique to a friend, it has really worked since!

I use the single boon of each technique as well, though I really find it makes not much of a difference :slightly_frowning_face:

Maybe as a resource sink. They can make probability enchanting coil? Coils specifically designed to help you Target certain boons. Keep the power of the forge at 7200, and have trait coils. If you wish to use them on your forge then you sacrifice power by adding them. DMG probability coils and AOE probability coils. As well as all the others. A coil to enhance the probability of each type of boons.

7 Likes

That’s an interesting idea!

1 Like

Yeah I’ve noticed that too. It’ll work great for a “while” but you share the way of forging and it no longer works. But that’s rng Jesus :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

But can only have 1 coils effect for a boon? Can’t have a damage boon coil and a crit effect boon coil you need to choose what’s more important of a rng roll

1 Like