Add vehicles

Both land and water-based. Aircrafts would be nice too, but not strictly necessary.

The exploration in Boundless suffers because it has to be done on foot and the planets are consisted of small islands, which makes player have to swim, if he/she wants to map out the entire world on the Atlas. And swimming speed isn’t that great either.

What I propose to fix it, is to add craftable vehicles into the game, which would be able to be deployed/taken back from/into the inventory as needed and could be driven/sailed around the game, giving players a faster way to get around. Details of the implementation can be worked on later (for example, I don’t particularly care if the vehicles will be machines, or living creatures, a.k.a. mounts) and it could even provide some depth to the game by having you have to refuel your vehicle (or feed your mount) as well as doing maintenance.

1 Like

Land vehicles would be extremely difficult to implement with the voxel-based terrain and player-built structures, just as Titan locomotion presented a problem. Water vehicles could be more straightforward, but would probably work best as a deployable similar to how they work in Minecraft due to the variation in water coverage between planets. I’d love to see a lava vechicle too, for when there’s no water on a planet.

As for air vehicles, I think things like gliders could work well, but I wouldn’t want to see people flying around in planes. Maybe we could get saddles for cuttletrunks? :smile:

One thing I would like to see explored is a method of travel between planets that isn’t just portals. Some of the planets are reasonably close together in the universe, so a way of flying between them would be fun. Not sure how well that would work with the way planets are currently implemented though, as you’d potentially be moving between servers at the same time.

I’d agree about land vehicles not working well in a voxel environment… if the game was blocky like Minecraft. First of all, the game has slopes, which vehicles could drive on. Secondly, the game’s a MMO, so if vehicles happen, you bet some guild or group of players would go and build a road network to get around. I plan to build few bridges on Dzassak once I am well enough in the game to connect to nearby islands so I don’t have to swim, and we don’t even have vehicles yet.

What about boots that allow you to solidify lava and water when you run across it if placed on toon ?

1 Like

I would love Hoverboards and gliders… i can imagine some amazing game play combining ether or both with grapples!

Edit also hoverboards would play well or maybe better with the voxel environment than something with wheels / traditional land vehicles… though mounts (wildstocks?) might fit with the current theme better than mechanized contraptions and have the similar pros as hoverboards

4 Likes

+1 for hoverboards and gliders. Especially gliders. That was one of my favorite things about Creativerse.

1 Like

Real game footage of me in 1 years time :wink:

5 Likes

Seems too minecrafty to me. Also Boundless doesn’t have equip system aside of cosmetics and I feel like it should stay for only cosmetics. Though I wouldn’t say no to a “running on water” skill (basically if you are running while getting onto water, you keep running, but if you stop on water or walk into water you swim, which would allow to still dive even if you obtain the skill).

we can also keep boundless unique and add things that other games do not have, I DO NOT like to say, but yeah this game has this and that game has that… let us be different let’s be boundless?

4 Likes

Yeah, in most cases that would be a good thing, but walking/running at snail’s pace is no fun.

I feel like gliders might be a more practical option than vehicles, so +1 to that.

Vehicles I feel, while cool, would take an extensive amount of development time. While its a nice feature I feel there are other things that should take higher prioity. Not to mention its been mentioned it will take several months just to sort out the merge and set up a new dev team.

you can craft gleam pops to run on water, turns the water to rainbow coloured ice

1 Like

Gliders would be best you can reach hot vents and get shot back up in the air would be fun

Looks good to me hope you raised it from a baby so it has time to imprint on you.

1 Like

I’d also like to see some form of transportation in Boundless.
Maybe it could be a mob mount (ie: Cuttletrunk Glider) or something like a power-charged hoverboard (as several have mentioned).

5 Likes

How about we craft small rockets that boosts us up to max height and then we use a glider to go where we want to go.

That way we have to keep crafting rockets and cannot glide all the time.

1 Like

I would simply like Rails and minecarts or some other kind of train vehicle, back before Microsoft absolutely trashed minecraft, I would always enjoy building rail lines around places. Even in terraria I found building rail lines to be nice.

That could become incredibly annoying with the current plotting system. We’d have people criss-crossing whole planets with plots just to lay down train tracks they’d hardly ever use.

1 Like

The beacon compactness limitation would block rails already. I think rails are not the best solution.

They were talking in the past about a giant mob flying around fast, where you can just grapple onto, then drop where you want to go.

Oh dear,

Guess I’m in trouble.

1 Like