Airships [And other misc vehicles that seem pointless next to airships]

alliance had underground trams. much cooler.

Yeah, I’m the one who said the thing about public transport system too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well that logic is just against the entire sandbox aspect of oort. You could just as easily go around behind the cave and climb up the other side to get the same exact scenario.

I agree with @CaptJack92a post, having the airships have more storage, go faster than walking, but slower than ground mounts would be good. It would also take an amount of time to land or liftoff, so it would not be a “get out of danger free” vehicle.

3 Likes

So apparently it’s your way or the highway
you are right and will listen to no arguments
your way to play the game is the ONLY way to play and no other way can EVER be acceptable
who cares what other people want? not you!
flying should NOT be allowed EVER
NO MATTER how late game

gottcha

Well I resent being told why I want something
and I resent being told how I should want to to play a sandbox game and that every other way is wrong
well NOBODY is forcing you to use Airships or jet-packs or any kind of flying mount that might be added
but YOU are insisting that we can only play the game YOUR WAY

Well I reject that notion and the foundation of thought it was built on

Airships would be GREAT (so long as the flight mechanics are good, and I have no reason to think they wouldn’t be!)
They would be fun to build and fun to fly around
They’d be a goal to work towards
they’d be a great way to get around in a world in which you have established yourself
they’d be symbolic that you HAVE established yourself on a world
they would be CONVINIENT, which is a GOOD thing

4 Likes

Airships would be incapable of taking an all terrain’s vehicle due to ■■■’s bulkiness and size and less maneuverability. You would need to get off to explore some of the more dense mountainous areas, or get into canyons, or look around below thicker tree lines.

2 Likes

Nah that is actually where you are wrong, you are the only one suggesting that using airships is the only way of doing things, you are the only one who wants to decide for everybody else. im just pointing out flaws in the plan, its not impossible, i have just seen it fail time and time again, also im trying to point out if they were to add it, it prob wouldnt be as strong as you want it to be :smile:

imagine we have groundmounts and ships, people will use those because its faster and more convenient than swimming and running, now imagine they add a vehicle that moves 50% faster than either and can do both at once. do you think people will still use ships and mounts when you can just use that?

Now i have said what i want to say, if you cant even keep it cool and take any sort of critism then i imagine i am wasting my time trying to argue with you :slight_smile:

1 Like

My opinion on all of this:
@Zouls - you seem to be negative towards opinions that are not your own, maybe its just the way you are - but it has been said before that you are one of if not THE most active member of the forums, as such you should nurture others ideas and help cultivate creativity.

I am against personal flight, but I think it would be AMAZING if we set up airships similar to those in WoW’s major cities. We would need to set up capital cities and have launch spots for them, but I think this is could be really neat.

3 Likes

Actually I’m going to agree with @drthmik. Even with how new I am comparatively to most others, you were quickest my least favorite person due to your innate biased toward good ideas that weren’t yours, and not even just about my ideas. Sorry to be harsh, but you’re kind of a bigot and the arguments you present to other people’s ideas while supporting your own equally arguable ideas, is getting old.

As many have stated, the point of airships is for fun and enjoyment, but take an equal amount from the mmo aspect by trading off resource encounters with convenience which is a great trade off. And if you continue to think that you will somehow be cheated out of something by it simply existing in the game, then don’t build one for yourself. IMO, airships are far more balanced than warps will be, so really the arguments presented are invalid anyhow.

Over-Convenience: Waprs are even more so than airships.
Skip exploration: Warps will allow instant travel past much land to explore.
Ability to avoid RP and mod exposure: Warps.
Lack of world interaction: Warps…

So yeah. Not trying to be harsh, but I am kind of getting tired of there always being someone in a game community who wants things “their way” and who get some kind of high and mighty mode when people explore new, fun things.

2 Likes

He also suggested random warps… Warps that telleport you to a random location on the world your on - no exploration and danger at all

1 Like

Maybe. im playing the devils advocate. i know its easier to say ‘‘this is how it should be done and there is no discussion’’ but that wouldnt really work that well.

‘‘those who refuse to learn from history is doomed to repeat it’’

wel. i would say landing on a completely random area in the world wouldnt be considered ‘‘no danger’’ but its a fair opinion, go back to my post and write you are against it, im not afraid of other people calling it a bad idea :smile:

Learning from history isn’t about avoiding it, it’s about finding new solutions to a problem.

“I haven’t failed. I just found ten-thousand ways that won’t work.” -Thomas Edison.

2 Likes

well im sorry if you view me that way. but im pretty sure that i never once said my way was the right way of doing it. im just pointing out that every idea has flaws, but if you just post an idea and refuse to even think about the flaws its not going to benefit alot of people :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That entire second paragraph sums up my opinion as well.

2 Likes

I also think it would be cool to have the 2 connected and then you had a small airship going back and forth in a predetermined route. its just free flight which always ends wrong. this would basically just be portals except you could jump off on the way if that is what you wanted, this would require you to actually go to an area and put up a tower first though. and even if you want to jump off its still only going to be on that route.

do you think it would be do able though? they could do it in wow becasue the world was static and nobody could build on top of it. can you actually program a thing that will make a route avoiding all terrain and still not be abuseable?

There is probably no perfect solution balance travel and adventure that will make everybody happy, so looking at an idea from every possible angle (good and bad) will help find a best solution! No need for tempers to flair!

This topic is swaying a great deal. I’d like to ask that we now get back on the actual Pros and cons based on this game rather than compare the failures of others. I am pretty sure that based on what I have seen, the design and development team is quite competent.

2 Likes

I think so, I have some questions about that, but it would take a programmer to answer them definitively, so I’ll try not to speculate too much.

1 Like

Then by all means. i have seen that you make some pretty detailed posts, so try to make this post a little more detailed. all it says is ‘‘we need airships’’ they could work in a multiple amount of ways, but how would anybody, especially the devs know what you think should be added if all you write is ‘‘airships’’ and then vaguely describe how they look?

Or we can talk about me instead of the topic… Because it’s a suggestion, not a fully developed idea at all. Some times I leave things open for discussion to better understand how an idea can be developed, now if you go back, there are plenty of posts that have many details on pros, cons, and so forth.

However, most of what you do is complain based on some kind of vendetta or other games, which Oort is not.

Now can we please get back on topic?

1 Like