Ambient creatures: What would you call our new friend?

I was thinking we could name them Terry. just Terry. They really seem like Terrys.

1 Like

I do agree with you with what should be in poll, but many of these names were either not very popular or resembled the original too much. For example, Tauns or Tauny are too close to Tauntaun, a named owned by Starwars and Disney. You donā€™t want to mess with them.

Also I agree that the look, skin, and color of this beast would greatly influence the name, but maybe theyā€™ll do a post about that too.

And as I stated, multi-suggestion posts are misrepresented in likes, so really the winner by a majority of likes it still the Horned Gahtan, even including copyright names.

i first named it horny rabbit but for obvious reasons i changed that xD i suggest Carl because those things remember me of lamas with hats :smiley:

Carl. XD ā€¦wellā€¦iā€™m still in favor ov Honkibonk.
I once read a science fiction book which included vast descriptions of flora and wildest imaginative superlatives of fauna. There was also a mount animal which was called Hoxler. Or Hoxlers. I liked that term somehow.

Cool name, but if itā€™s from a book, there may be copyright issues.

Yupp, uā€™re right. Unfortunately is taken. It is more supposed to be an inspirational nudge : )

Hey @Cartographer, wouldnā€™t the correct name be Oortiana Bovidae Gahtana? Bovidae is the category that goats and cattle are placed underā€¦yes I just had to look this up.

From Wikipedia:
The Bovidae are the biological family of cloven-hoofed, ruminant mammals that includes bison, African buffalo, water buffalo, antelopes, gazelles, sheep, goats, muskoxen, and domestic cattle. A member of this family is called a bovid.
All bovids have the similar basic form - a snout with a blunt end, a pair of horns (generally present on males) immediately after the oval or pointed ears, a distinct neck and limbs, and a tail varying in length and bushiness among the species.

It doesnā€™t have ears, and really not a tail, but the rest checks out ok.

1 Like

Terry :laughing: and Diru are nice! Horned Gahtan isnā€™t bad, just longwindedā€¦

Also Ardos, now that I understand what you were actually saying. If I did make a poll with all names that were not copywrite or animal names, that poll would be 56 options long. In that case, everyone would just vote for themselves and nothing would get solved. Right now running with the list of ā€œnumber of likes or mentioned supporters,ā€ is at least narrowing that list down and removing those that had little to no likes.

So I guess, this forum is like a poll, where everyone can actually cast as many likes as they want for different things, but not for themselves. I have seen some of those fallen behind start to gain popularity, so liking is still open until the Devs call stop.

I am still a little against multi-post though. Iā€™ve included them on sheer numbers, but I still find them to be miss-represented. And yes, I know I did one too. Iā€™ll know better next time.

And Drthmik, you are totally correct in that there is no legal reason not to use regular names like ram or goat, but as suggested by others, of which I do agree, there is no need for it. And other than one multi-suggestion post, they fell behind in popularity.

Tarcel, I think I could live with Horned Gahtan better than the Devā€™s ā€œLesser Spotted Wobbly Bird,ā€ or ā€œGreat Horned Deer-roo.ā€ No offense Ian, but thatā€™s a lot of words to be popping up all over the screen if the names appear above the creature.

1 Like

Name it as Shoba! (sheep+kangaroo)

1 Like

That is an assumption that you shouldnā€™t make (Iā€™ve often posted a suggestion for something and then 10 or 15 posts later someone suggests something I like better than my own)
but even if it is true then you just take the top voted names (say the top 20 for example) and make a new poll
and then if there still isnā€™t a definitive winner you do a 3rd round with the top 5 or 10

But I donā€™t think that likes on a post is an empirical or accurate gauge on what people want the name to be

3 Likes

Also this discussion about name is little bit silly at this point as we have no actual idea what that creature will look like. We could change it later if real creature doesn`t look like the name name would suggest at all, but that would cause confusion and lot of work then for all.

ItĀ“s also little bit sad and confusing if we get another placeholder creature without name or ā€œfinal lookā€ to call them all placeholder creature orange or 1 so nickname at this point would be kinda cool.

Well hereā€™s todayā€™s list. Excluding copywrite names, real names, and word combination names such as ā€œplzgiveloot,ā€ Iā€™ll try to included everyone.

With 5 likes:

Horned Gahtan

With 4 likes:

Biboum*
Shoboun*
Rahoo*
Hooshno*

With 3 likes:

Oostroat*
Oostrat*

With 2 likes;

Dully Orange Goat
Chupacabra
Ground Hopper
Smoochie
Horknarf
Woht
Hopplers

With 1 like:

Gurkey*
Joat*
Horned Gurk*
Gurk*
Oob
Gourash
Hooshnu
Dodos
Durf
Rustling Tagalong
Deer-roo
Pigsel*
Diru*
Terrys
Shobal

All others:

Young/Baby Therox
Oortgoad
Tweaky
Mojon
Chubacabracorn
Teetering Broadhorn
Wabobble
Gonzelle
Ramasaurus Rex
Honkibonk
Dae-der-ons
Rambutan
Shrimpy
Guurkle
Fluffy
Tartis

If I missed one or misspelled one, let me know, but otherwise that is the eniter list minus copywrite, real, or world plays. Those marked with a * are from multi-suggestion posts.

Isnā€™t malefigoat an achievement in Goat Simulator? Lol

Love that game!!!

Missed Tartus. Look up definition it describes the way these things look and act as they move around haha!

SHHHHHRIMPYYYY

:cold_sweat:

yeah I did. Iā€™ll get it, and if Malefigoat comes from a game, then it must be removed.

The like tally may be erroneous as many options are likeable!
My vote though is for the Gahtan.
Especially with its encyclopedia type entry.

I finally spotted one of these (seem you need to come out from your extensive underground tunnel network first).

Since they look like a cross between a goat and a turkey Iā€™d call them a goatsey. With a ā€˜yā€™.

I know, itā€™s a big stretch. Iā€™ll crawl back into my hole now.

2 Likes

The only name that has ever come to mind is ā€œwarbleā€ā€¦ they look like warbles.

I dislike tartis solely because I have been marathoning doctor who (again) and wellā€¦ self explanatory.

5 Likes