An apology

I recently defended a comment without reading it twice and thus did not notice a dirogotory comment that was made in it. Worse auto mod shut down the thread right as I was going to fix it so I just deleted it.
I in no way think name calling is ok and feel quite bad about this. Please except my heartfelt apology. As a whole I love you all and should follow my instincts and just stay out of this sort of thing.
I have not earned my name title of “the swell” today and as form of self punishment will eat a bowl of cold sourcrout … yuck!

25 Likes

It’s fine. I don’t think anyone is mad at you. For me personally, I just want people to be nice to each other and understand that we all like and dislikes different parts of the game, and come together to find ways to improve it for everyone, including the people who quit.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think it’s natural for some things to get heated - as both sides have a right to be heard, but when someone resorts to name-calling or bullying, a line has been crossed.

4 Likes

Much respect for clarifying.

Not to hijack this thread but if anything I think the “wipe” conversation thread really shows a problem we in this community have with accepting ideas and communication styles. It needs to be fixed or we as a community will not be able to help solve the hardest problems in the game. I know I am trying to be better at how I communicate and I hope others will be willing to take that personal responsibility on for themselves as well. I think that alone will help a lot in moving us forward in contentious discussion areas.

4 Likes

How could you!!! I’ll never speak to you again!

Oh @Jeffrotheswell hello!!!:grin::upside_down_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I had to reread it a few times before I caught why it was flagged. Seems like a pretty minor insult to me considering some of the other things that players have posted. Maybe I just have a thick skin from 30 years on the internet. :man_shrugging:

Honestly towards the end a lot of comments seemed to be getting flagged just to close the topic.

6 Likes

That whole thread is a mess. It should have been closed when people started attacking the op and closure was specifically requested.

The 300 or so follow-on posts are nothing but mod/dev condoned madness.

If @james is actually interested in thoughts on the matter, a dev framed post would both encourage a more considered discussion and provide a better platform for addressing the fear that some people seem to think that even discussing the matter will inspire.

@Jeffrotheswell Kudos for taking a step back and also using the available tools to clean up a tiny bit of the confusion lol.

3 Likes

Not to hijack too much either but to add on to this, from all my experience with online communities, definitely want to get some more fresh blood in here as well I think. What I’ve seen happen over and over again last two decades is, when a forum population stagnates, it slowly becomes like a pile of dry kindling soaked in gas. Ready to blow up at the tiniest or totally unforeseen spark. Really good people on both sides who just reach a breaking point and something just goes. Keeping new viewpoints and personalities coming in, even if in a slow stream, seems to ward this off to a good extent. Kind of is like a family in a way… people will come to truly care about each other, but not all personalities will mesh or there will be a big blow-up at the dinner table.

2 Likes

This is exactly how I see the forums, one big dysfunctional family. And a few crazy ex’s that can’t move past the break up and admit it’s over :joy:

5 Likes

I like to think of myself as the slightly loony, absent-minded, but kindly Aunt of the forum that everyone is like, “Look, just don’t get her talking about her cats!” :joy:

6 Likes

I think in the larger scale of life and things it was minor. I think in this community it was not minor because we have to stop the name calling. So I think that we should start holding people accountable to their actions when they cannot use civil words or find a way to communicate their disappointment without having to call people or ideas stupid. Nothing is gained with that type of communication style.

1 Like

Awww heck nah…this is you :heartpulse: (3rd doggo…)

giphy%20(79)

10 Likes

Awwww, hahahaha!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thanks!! That is too precious!

3 Likes

Or labeling like when players try to minimize others opinions using terms like “ select group”

I agree, we really need to be more respectful of each other and set a good example for potential players that may check out the forums before buying Boundless.

3 Likes

I think James showed that view clearly when he opened up the thread after it was closed. He stated what he wanted. I cannot foresee the future but I would expect that no matter how the post starts what we saw play out would happen. We saw the same basic stuff when James started the “Why I hate Boundless” post. People argue.

All I was reminded from this experience is text is a very hard way to communicate. The most people respect and talk in civil tones the better. It seems many feel the same way and will make their own efforts to try to move a conversation forward in a good way than starting to sling mud.

That might be hard when we look at the world we live in… I just don’t know.

2 Likes

I know I’m guilty of saying stuff I later regret. I’m not afraid to own my faults… and being Italian doesn’t help sometimes.

Sometimes we need to remember we are all just people with feelings… at times being humbled is the best for us and gives an opportunity for growth.

In the end we all love this game and we’re a small community. I’d rather have friends than enemies. :vulcan_salute::nerd_face::heartpulse:

5 Likes

Being Italian always helps. :smiley:

3 Likes

i think to do a proper apology you need come to sunken town an build something awesome :+1:

3 Likes

So much this! Tone is difficult to convey and it just takes someone to read something in slightly the wrong way for things to get heated.

Tbh, with so many differently minded people in one place i think we do pretty well at being reasonably civil the majority of the time!

5 Likes