AOE loot, yes/no?

so that is like a loot menu rather than MC ground loot as you mentioned earlier no?

No I mentioned harvesting the carcass for things such as shards, skins, and special itemsā€¦ Most things such as blocks, equipment, and gold should drop.

so having a dual system rather than just one? wouldnt it be better to choose one or the other? why would you have a loot menu for skinning but not for looting the coins?

Idk, I like the idea of dropping things and filter what is picked up but the titan will have to be harvestedā€¦ Maybe the devs will elaborate how the harvest will happen so we can do this with other killsā€¦ I do think you need a hunting skill to skin and animalā€¦ Bone, antler, and other parts used for potans should require skill to gather, if you kill something with an inventory, blocks and gold will dropā€¦ Maybe guardians will have these things while you can harvest shards.

Maybe other professions can loot other things from the carcass that the hunter cannot, additional gold?

just ignoring titans for a bit, cause they are special.

yes i agree on having skinning, as i also have a looong post about.

but its curious. would skinning the animals just make the skin and meat fly out and land on the ground then? it might be the only way to make it, any other voxel game i have played does it that way, but then again, none of them had skinning, closest i get is sky saga where you have to hit the corpse of a dead enemy to get loot xD

I am sorry, most of what I grew up with are console games and more recently, phone appsā€¦ I am a truck driver so have not played many pc games however I do have some experience in playing themā€¦ I cannot reference games but I do look them up when you mention them so I can read about the system they useā€¦

The meat wold probably drop upon being killed while the skin (if still in good condition) needs some1 skilled to remove it without destroying it. But the meat dropping after being skinned would also make senseā€¦ If others want meat, they will have to harvest the carcass but this will destroy the skin.

1 Like

We already have blocks that dropā€¦ seems dropping things when killed and ninja loot is already set upā€¦ if they have carcass that need to harvest other items, this will have a duel system.

Zouls you should probably play MC.

I am super okay with loot dropping on the ground then running over it to pick it up.

I think spending a lot of time in menus is boring.

2 Likes

I remember they wanted to be as little ā€˜menuā€™ like UI as possible, maybe you could use certain tools on corpses to gather specific items from it.

2 Likes

Using tools for professions is a great way to give them abilities others do not have access to

Iā€™m pretty sure that ESO had an option of whether to turn it off/on. Perhaps that could be considered.

I think thatā€™s a good way to bypass the horrendous fields of items that were incredibly hard to get what you wanted from in MC. Itā€™d be cool if it just displayed all the lootable items in a certain area in a sort of chest like inventory display so that you could select what you want and not have to go through piles of junk that might clog your inventory.
As for the immersion bit, I think thereā€™s a balance between immersion and design, and I think this idea has a nice balance between those two regardless of what form it takes when implemented.

Its a placeholder system :smile:

they prob want as little HUD as possible. but UI is someting slse, again. this has nothing to do with skinning, but rather if you do skin a creature to the items just drop on the ground for anybody to take?

https://forum.oortonline.com/t/how-would-looting-work/941

No, I dont think thats an good Idea. There are many other and way better loot systems then that.

MMmm, I love AOE looting. Hellgate London had a great AOE loot system rest in pieces

Just ā€œNoā€, finished :wink:

1 Like

Minecraftā€™s version of looting would get tiresome in large scale battles as there would be random junk and valuable treasures scattered all over the ground and you would have to run around gathering all of them, filling up your inventory, and hope you find something good. Then spend a few minutes emptying your inventory of junk before the next wave. And I agree that no one should be looting in combat, but that is just courtesy.

Most standard RPG games just have a click to loot system accompanied by a ā€œauto lootā€ or ā€œloot allā€ function that says when I click a defeated enemy I simply get everything it has. If I know the enemy wont drop anything I want, I donā€™t bother looting anything, but it remains my choice.

1 Like

This is why I recommend that mobs only drop things you needā€¦ Why kill something if you donā€™t need the meat (or skin)? Have animals wander around and hunt them as needed but make it hard to kill some of them so you need trapsā€¦ Guardians seem to be creatures that attack us because we are the invading peopleā€¦ Hunt them for EXP and possible gold and shardsā€¦ Everything else must be made or found in a chestā€¦ Items, scrolls, magic stones, equipment, tools/gadgetsā€¦ This way they are more rareā€¦ If some chests spawn in hard to get places, you need to build a ladder or bridge to get to themā€¦ maybe even require some parkour

2 Likes