Are there any plans for Boundless this year?

Me like Boundless too!

5 Likes

Im personally pleased To see even @philelliott responding… He doesnt have to but he does.

All the Best To the future Phil!

3 Likes

This, + compact oort.

6 Likes

Came back to check in on the status of the game, shame such a good community it deserves a better dev team who truly cares about its future. I wish you all well kind of glad we left now but the writing was on the wall with this one.

7 Likes

I never would ever defend people blocking new users or anyone from knowing the state of the game. I want to be clear on that if there was some confusion. I’ve just suggested other ways of communicating that viewpoint since there are those that seem to prefer to attack and denigrate at times in their posts. Even over stating things in a negative connotation sometimes.

I would push back the same on those that might try to act like nothing is wrong with the game’s status. Yet, there are really none of those people at least speaking out. Everyone knows that dangerous state the game is in and even the possible highly unlikely ability to recover.

Somehow, though, there is a group that can just enjoy the game for what it is and if anything they are more likely able to give new players enjoyment. They prefer to enjoy what we do have instead of constantly beating down on it trying to make it look even worse… We’ve lost so many good players because of past/current decisions by the Devs and the challenge around their communication style along with some community issues. I just don’t want to see other possible new people never give Boundless a chance and the small community that is still supporting the game. At least give them correct information from BOTH sides and allow them to decide. Saying James doesn’t care about the game and is letting it fail - without any type of proof - isn’t correct information. There are plenty of other posts in that fashion about dead/abandoned, etc…

I don’t see anywhere that I state people aren’t smart enough or need “my guidance.” But, we’ve seen people never give Boundless a chance because some person felt they would over state that Boundless is “dead.” So likely that person should be a bit more concern than my requests for a better communication style… In my view, asking for balanced information is much less an issue than those that say the game is dead and Devs don’t care even though, like you said, they seem to be fixing the bugs at least.

Either way hopefully we get some type of response or movement, but like you said, it isn’t probably going to be for a long time…

We all are.
The question is “when?”
Is it for 2022? 2023? Never? The worst is that we can’t tell and all options are on the table.
Some of us assume we’ll get these updates when “Larian Guildford” will be done with Baldur’s Gate 3… but it’s also very possible that when they’ll be done with BG3, they could start working on additional content for it, or they could simply move on to another project entirely, leaving Boundless behind.
Interestingly enough, a new project could mean there’d be lessons learned from how things went with Boundless.
What would these be? Maybe a different approach to marketing and communication?
Or you know… no lessons, and they do the exact same thing… which is also an option on the table.
I’m still around here because I still have some amount of hope… but definitely, I won’t hang out forever if James keeps ghosting us for all of 2022, which I think only a mad man would defend, then.
This is the year where he needs to come back.

I ask you all this:
What is your limit with Boundless? When do you think waiting won’t be an option anymore?

2 Likes

So long as I’m enjoying playing the game, and the servers are still up, I’ll continue to play the game. As much as I do want to see more content added, I think the game is still fun for me as it is.

6 Likes

Many people including myself don’t look at it like a waiting game. We aren’t waiting on the update. It may or may not come who knows but we could spend all our time on the forums complaining about it, or talking about it, or waiting for it or just play the game.

Don’t get me wrong though I’d love regular updates, but lets be honest it’s not looking good. At this point I have written off any updates until proven wrong and I do hope I’m wrong.

The game is fun as it is until it isn’t and everyone is different in that aspect and the amount of time it takes until boredom sets in. I’d even say there are quite a number of us that won’t ever get bored, but only time will tell.

2 Likes

To this point, spending on Bitcoin is a far more better choice for me.

1 Like

Have you heard about NFTs, then? It’s the future of gaming! Or at least, that’s what the CEO of Square Enix says.
Come one sheeple, it’s time to “play to contribute”! :smiley:

1 Like

Well, related more to the other thread, but that would be the one 100% Paka-out-the-door move, if they added NFTs.

Hopefully that statement didn’t make them just want to add them… :laughing:

But as far as my money spent in this game goes, I see it as a combo entertainment money/something nice for a community I love. :slight_smile: I don’t expect anything back from it but enjoyment, and the occasional bonus of good feelings I get from nice feedback from my felllow Citizens.

7 Likes

I guess the ones who own prime spots in active malls would become rich by then.

K̶e̶e̶p̶ s̶c̶r̶o̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ a̶n̶d̶ i̶g̶n̶o̶r̶e̶ m̶y̶ a̶b̶a̶n̶d̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ s̶p̶o̶t̶ a̶t̶ N̶o̶1̶ F̶i̶r̶s̶t̶ s̶t̶r̶e̶e̶t̶ o̶f̶ G̶y̶o̶s̶h̶a̶ m̶a̶l̶l̶

2 Likes

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And if I am only for myself, what am I? And if not now, when?

so, this is a bit weird. long time player, even longer lurker back to post on this…

haven’t been playing boundless for a while now, just checking in on the forums and waiting (eternally) for dev communication.

really I want to be nicer, and more hopeful about everything im about to say but I am a game Developer. Worked freelance for many years for companies like Epic, EA and several random smaller units. Now working contract.

A lack of communication, and development and updates are 99.9% of the time NOT the communities fault. you have to get to death threats and stalking levels to see community disengagement from Devs. We don’t usually build the game based off of your big feedback either To be honest. most decisions are made on metrics and data, smaller game studios have a higher chance of listening more to feedback but unless its one dev the suggestions and feedback rarely make up more than 30% of changes or fixes. So while it has some effect, especially on smaller groups, you have to change the data to get the changes you want. Hurting the wallet (aka bad reviews etc) are a double edged sword though, it is more likely for a company to cut losses and rebrand than it is for them to change fast enough to recover income streams.

As for the really depressing part of this, lack of communication for any serious length of time should be worrying. If my company isn’t telling players things it is because the company wants to keep getting money from them and ambiguity is more profitable than the course of action they have decided upon. Example, if a company is closing down development of a project but can still make some money off of people not knowing that, then they will choose to not say it.

Depressing right? for so many of us games are an escape, a way to have fun and enjoy our time. For Publishers and Developers games are cash. They are truly beholden to their shareholders and profits. In most of the projects I have worked on “Fun” wasn’t considered, the metrics are how much will the audience be compelled to buy X, or how long will Y keep them engaged with Ad’s etc. Pure revenue streams Vs cost sinks.

This isn’t all individuals, and its not all companies at first. Once you get to a certain size though… not making money means laying people off. Publishers can help, but once your owned your owned.

I guess what I’m trying to say is; Stop hitting each other… none of you are the issue. If you enjoy the game then keep playing, you should always value your time and spend it the way that makes the most for you. If you are upset with everything that is happening, I understand and you have every right to be upset. If you are worried about the lack of communication, its because it is a very bad sign and a very worrying prospect. If you are wondering “What can I do about it” the answer is almost nothing, at best they will communicate again and you can try to make your self heard, at worst… its already done.

Stay safe, Stay Boundless.

P.S. if this ■■■■ ever goes open source I’m planning on spending lots of free time Developing it.

21 Likes

Perso ally i do exactly that… I keep playing if i have fun… I doubt i will pay For Gleam Club anymore.

2 Likes

when i start up the game the copyright is from 2020
:grin:

5 Likes

Been talking the last few days with several people from around here who I won’t name without their consent, and it’s exactly the conclusion we came to. It’s the only conclusion that made sense.

We also agreed on the notion that Wonderstruck becoming part of Larian was likely decided around the same time as the release of the game, in late 2018.
It seems likely that Square Enix said “we’re not spending any more money on the game”, leaving Wonderstruck with not enough money to finish all the things they wanted to, so James began looking for an exit strategy, and working on BG3 is just that. I highly doubt they began talks with Larian just 2 months before we started hearing about it.

I would also venture a guess and say that the overall management of funds and priorities was all over the place on James’ part, and I’m sure he was aware the game would end the way it did a long long time ago. Either that or he was completely deluded.

Kronk_James

They’re not coming back to continue working on Boundless. They all have new responsabilities or moved on.
Good on you if you’re still having fun with the game as it is. But if you’re hoping for update 249… pretty sure you can forget about it.

6 Likes

I can’t agree more. The trailer is horribly outdated and can honestly be construed as false advertising, since it shows elements of Early Access, which are not in game.
The damn character models are probably what pissed me off the most about the trailer.

9 Likes

Absolutely agree on the character models. That is ridiculous.

4 Likes

I almost prefer the models now than the models before personally. Muscles are more defined and the two above are poor examples as the heads are different styles. I will say the clothing is pretty cool though.

Maybe in comparing the models show them both as equally as possible … same head style and both with head pieces on.

3 Likes