Are there any plans for Boundless this year?

Thanks, Happy New Year to you, and the Boundless community too :slight_smile:

15 Likes

And from your point of view, this idea I proposed to try to make a compilation of testimonies from players as to why something should be done to bring Boundless’ development back to life, would it have a chance to do something?

On your side, do you ever hear from James and the others, what they’re doing, what their plans are in regards to Boundless?

5 Likes

Thank you, really appreciate it! :grinning: That makes me feel a lot more comfortable with continuing on with the game and my rental addiction! :grin:

Happy New Year to you from me as well! :grinning:

10 Likes

I prefer to continue to play the game and spend money on it. Ultimately that’s my only voice that counts for something. But hey, you do you.

@philelliott thanks for the clarification and happy new year to you too :wink:

5 Likes

I would just like to know is development on boundless going to start back up this year. Or is the candle burnt out and is wonderstruck merging with a bigger studio permanently. At the end of the day money has to be made fully understandable would just like to know am I ever going to see swords and shields. Or perhaps a total over hall of this game. The concept of the game is beautiful yet we never made it to TITANS. So I feel like they never achieved their goal of what they wanted this game to be. Just a few questions

if the game doesn’t make enough to pay development they need to go look for an investor actively not just keep it in limbo imo game is timeless so im not worryd about when but once you put something on the attic it tends to stay there
forget the years spend and threat it like a new project is lot more presentable then it was in pre release
ow happy new year phil

1 Like

This is the million dollar question and the fact that @james won’t say anything about it absolutely boggles my mind. He has already confirmed that Larian has no say, stake, or knowledge in/of Boundless so theoretically he should be free to say something but simply refuses and has refused for the last year.

2 Likes

starting to get the vibe that the only reason they are so quiet about this game is because they may be trying to get permanently on with a bigger company its business after all but still sucks we are being so left in the dark. cant tell us they will do any work on boundless because that shows they are using contracted time that the are suppose to spend on bg3 which could get them into trouble. just speculation of course but why else would they ghost a who community.

1 Like

James is a director for Larian Studios UK.

LARIAN STUDIOS UK LTD people - Find and update company information - GOV.UK (company-information.service.gov.uk)

Baldur’s Gate 3 Dev Larian Studios Opens New UK Office - GameSpot

Based on that and the fact that many of the other developers profiles say they are working for Larian probably means there is no contract with Wonderstruck but that they work directly for Larian Studios UK and James has said Larian has nothing to do with Boundless. It appears to me that Boundless is a side project for now.

6 Likes

Alrighty. Thank you for the info. I’m still curious if they think they’ll be able to get the update out somehow. There’s been activity from a few devs every couple of days - perhaps they are working via short-term contracts.

This is a great game as it is, 100% playable imo. I just wish it had made it further along in development at this point.

You can’t pay the bills and employee salaries on air, so if it is just a side project or a labor of love, that’s understandable.

9 Likes

Folks who have been gaming since MMO’s became a thing knew what was happening when dev interaction became less and less.

The game was never their intent. It was a marketing tool for the game engine. I only check in every few months to see if they’ve officially dropped support and given the code to the community to resurrect, or formally shut it all down and issued cease/desist letters to those trying to recreate a likeness of the game.

For those who enjoy the game, their frustrations are certainly validated by the lack of communication and abandonment of the game. It had so much potential but it was never profitable enough to justify the work that it needed.

I really enjoyed the planet update too.That could have been a cool thing with further development but again, they clearly decided the ROI wasn’t worth it.

1 Like

All in all the game is a niche game and in a niche market. Could things have been done better in hindsight? Surely. It could have been marketed better or differently, but I have a hard time even remotely trying to blame Square Enix for anything especially since they do not own the IP.

The game even at its peak almost feels like a failure in terms of potential. The game on Steam (pc-only players) never reached above 1200 max players and while that didn’t include PS players I still find those numbers staggeringly low. I love this game and I think it is a hidden gem and I still play it daily and even recommend it to my friends, but it is a hard sell in my eyes.

I am quite sure there was an insane amount of funds thrown at development I mean its Square Enix and I have no doubt that they did more than their part. I can say I feel like @philelliott has been as transparent as he possibly can with us and that is because he cares and that is very much appreciated. I can only hope that the ghosting the dev team gives it’s players isn’t also carried to ghosting Square Enix when it seems that they are more than open to talking about the game more.

I love the game and will continue to play it, I have seen an influx of new players and I am very happy about that. I also know on Steam alone there was a 13% increase for January and a 18% increase for November in players. That is better and has made up for the 30% loss of players in October. I can’t speak for the PS sales, but I can only imagine there was an increase there also.

I am mostly saddened that a great community many of which I consider friends just wants some minor information just a “Hey we are still here!” or “The community isn’t forgotten”. It’s not too hard to do… but for myself I have given up on having any expectations. If something is said or an update comes great I don’t need it, but I don’t expect it either.

Whatever your views are of the game “It was a marketing tool” or “It’s abandoned” or even “The game is great as it is” the lack of communication is truly unacceptable from a developer. When a publisher is more communicative than the actual developer and owner there is an issue.

2 Likes

The engine was made open source (MIT License / free to use) in 2013.
Boundless was announced in 2015.

Sick marketing move. I’m impressed.

3 Likes

Me too given the amount of people that gave them thousands of dollars to under deliver on a product.Hella sick.

For the free engine? That the game was supposed to promote?

Actually Prior to 2013, around 5 million was raised just for the turbulenz engine.

Turbulenz breaks cover with $5 million funding | GamesIndustry.biz

And how is Boundless supposed to promote the engine when it was only announced 2 years after the engine went free to use?

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

2 Likes

Roadmap would be nice

1 Like