Art: Code name 'Lance' Concept

Over the shoulder feels really awesome in 1st person. Also it’s one handed (don’t want to penalise Lance use by not allowing dual weild). Nice aside is that over the shoulder creates a quite dynamic and distinguished silhouette compared to other tools, should be quite clear what players are doing from a distance.

Anyone who’s seen Mad Max can picture how a lance with an explosive tip is going to work :thumbsup:

3 Likes

Love this new weapon, has a good looking shape and as 3d model will be the prettyest one.

Seems that some designs could have a double use, as a lance and as a sword in how much you look at it

But but but… then it’s a javelin, not a lance! Javelins are 1 handed thrown/ stab weapons held over the shoulder! And you would not want to hold on to an explosive lance, it would blow up in your face!

6 Likes

The top 3-4 images look a bit more like throwing spears and bladed staffs then the final product. It would be interesting to see some of those designs pop up down the road.
All and all, the lance looks incredible and very menacing. Especially since the character modeling the weapon is the one I play as! Great work!!!

All I could think of with silhouette and one handed was this :frowning:.

1 Like

I’m not going to argue semantics on a forum.

Our design flow looks a little like:

• We need a melee weapon.
  • Slashing, swiping combat in 1st person is hard to nail, how about a deliberate stabbing attack?
  • That sounds cool, how about a stabbing Lance thing?
  • That sounds cool.
  • Artists, make us something that behaves like a Lance, with a deliberate stabbing motion. It is NOT a lance, it’s something new!
  • Artists make something cool and new.
  • When we finalise we decide: does this make sense to be called a Lance, or should we give it a more thematically interesting name (eg: Slingbow)
  • Rename item (sometimes)
  • Done!

We’re not at the end of the flow yet, so we may yet rename it.

8 Likes

Understandable that it has to be onehand, but i think this looks brilliant

A more straight from the shoulder posture rather than over the shoulder, so its definitely going the right way.

3 Likes

Javelance!

10 Likes

stab-stabber!

PS: the already made example reminds me so much of keyblades from kingdom hearts, which is freaking awesome xD

2 Likes

Does this mean the lance will be the only melee weapon?

I’ll scale my sarcasm back a touch since I seem be rustling more jimmies than intended, but that’s a cool insight into the work flow behind designing items!

4 Likes

Probably for a while anyway, they seem to dig the “1 of each then we can make later” concept

2 Likes

Lance is the only melee weapon in the short term. Our approach at the moment is to have two core weapons (melee, ranged) and use them + Forge upgrades + ammo to cover a very broad range of weapon types in a very sandbox-ey way.

Eg:
Slingbow + Multishot Upgrade + Explosive Sapphire Ammo = effectively an exposive ice shotgun
Lance + Range Upgrade + Poison Ammo = effectively a poisoned longrange melee weapon

etc.

5 Likes

This should give tonnes of variability, tonnes of experimentation with crafting/forge, tonnes of combinations of weapons + ammo and tonnes of sandbox fun!

(and not thousands of assets!)

3 Likes

Yeah was about to ask about that

But that system has to be reaaallyyyyy complex and allow for a variety of playstyles, if not then i think combat will quickly get boring if everybody have to use the same weapon type.

But it definitely sounds interesting.

5 Likes

Let me get this strait. These are lances, not pikes am i correct? Because i saw pictures of some oortians holding the lance, above the head instead of under.

It’s not a lance but something completely new that behaves like a lance ^^ @HueJanus

2 Likes

I’m kind of disappointed then. Because they could have just made them two different things quite easily… The lance would be smaller and under the shoulder, acting like a low damage fast attack speed weapon type, while pike/spear would be high damage throwing weapon. Let’s see how it turns out.

1 Like

@HueJanus, this is why they did it the way the did it:

1 Like

Yeah, but that’s not what they want ^^
If you would’ve read the thread before Posting (no offence) you’d know they only want two core weapons (ranged/melee)