Art: First look at the containers UI

With the two interfaces ‘intelligently’ swapping, how often do you really think you’ll need to have both of them up at once. The only time I can think of that may require it is when offloading a lot of materials to a chest, or trading with another player. I understand we are used to seeing both at the same time, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t better, more elegant and viable solutions. It will take some getting used to for sure, but it can potentially save a lot of screen space, allowing you to see other things going on nearby. Perhaps there is a mo’pig about to kamikaze you…

… and maybe it won’t turn out quite a well as I’m imagining, but right now I think it is going to work extremely well.

2 Likes

I think you´ve got me wrong, I really like the idea of an overlapping interface I just don’t like that window-swapping and side-by-side view might share a button.

1 Like

I disagree
I think it makes sense that holding the button that swaps the windows pauses it mid swap

Its not that it doesnt make sense, i would just personally prefer having them side by side most of the time, and its going to be a massive pain to constantly keep in a button. i would rather see it 3 step.

A/B, Sides, B/A

so clicking it will change the mode, rather than having to hold it.

1 Like

Or maybe a way to lock them side by side until the user hits that key again… Having either as an additional option would be great for those who want to stick to a more classic view.

I’ve got a graphic in a doc that might explain better…

Something like this:

2 Likes

Ah then dr was right.

it looks good, but would it be possible to have a key or an option that you can press to keep them side by side without having to hold it? i personally like having an overview so i might use side by side alot, which means having to hold the button always might prove to be an annoyance later on. again i think this looks good but i hope it is possible to keep them side by side.

1 Like

I think right now you’re asking for something that you don’t know you want. We’ll have something out soon I hope, then you can decide if you really need it.

2 Likes

Options Ben, Options are always good, however if it takes too long to make then i also understand that, just saying its worth considering :smile:

But i am definitely looking forward to seeing how the UI and the HUD of the game is going to look :smiley:

any plans on the blue bar? i think it was a hunger meter wasnt it? are the healthbar and blue bar also subject to change if you change the hotbar, or do you guys plan to let them stay the same?

1 Like

Good suggestion. The idea of side by side UI has been raised in the office too. We may need it, we may not. Ben’s doing the smart test of trying the boldest idea (overlapping with clever other ideas) first, and by doing that with people playing it we’ll very quickly understand if people love it or loath it.

If we hedged our bets and supported both from the off, then it will be hard to figure out how well it goes down as people will opt for whatever their preference is.

The dream is that one of the two is clearly better than the other, and that is the one we go for. Meaning that people won’t even have to worry about managing this kind of thing, just get on with enjoying the game!

SUCCESS! :smiley:

6 Likes

Ah apologies, wasnt meant as critism, this makes alot more sense to me.

eventually though i suggested it because i dont think its as much ‘‘one being better than the other’’ but rather its a matter of personal preference :smile:

i just tried to suggest it because i didnt think it would be that hard to make, which sounds pretentious when i say it since i have no programming experience, but i look forward to it.

all i can do for now is make speculation of explanations and ideas, when i get it in my own hands it might surprise me (as Ben said) but for now all i have to go on is this, Good luck getting it to work :smiley:

Thanks! Make sure you tell us how you find it when it’s released into the wild!

Id honestly go full tilt if oort got VR.

2 Likes

You’d fall over? Depends how good the implementation is :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Very cool ideas, I look forward to trying it out!