Art: Table and chairs concept

pssst everyone has to think I came up with that on my own!^^

2 Likes

Maybe just have all but with different ingredients?

reminds me a bit of HabboHotel

Some really cool concepts!
I especially love 4, 5, 6, 13, 16, and 18.
How about multiple designs made available through different crafting recipes, or perhaps have them linked to certain wood types! I would love to mix and match some of these designs.

Great work on the game so far devs & designers, I cant wait to join the awesomeness in 2016!!

(Quick side note: 6 and 16 kinda look like Sl1pg8r’s logo. Hope its not trademarked.)
Eg.

2 Likes

Couldn’t you make all the tables and chairs in the game for more building variety (because you get a lot of space in the crafting grid where you could put all those beautifull tables and chairs).

We sure could!

…But then we might not have time to make everything else in the game, like more character races, creatures, wearables, weapons, etc. Takes time to make these things, so we want to start with making a wide selection of nice items to start with, and we can add more variants later. One type of chair, one type of table, one of each creature, one of each type of weapon… rather than twenty different chairs and nothing else :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Will there be more variants later though?

Ideally, yes!

6 Likes

see but I think most people here would just prefer if this could be furniture simulator 2016. A hundred chair options are most important for the game’s development right now.

1 Like

Ignoring your joke and saying yes, actually. Maybe not 100, but variants would be nice. One of the larger draws for me and what I include as a major differentiator of Boundless and Minecraft is the idea of props. But if we’re just having one table, one chair, there’s no difference in terms of props.

I know nothing about specific abilities of the tools the dev team is using or the process of building designs into props and linking them with crafting templates, etc…but it seems conceptually rather easy to approach building furniture like building creatures/buildings/vehicles in spore, which I know at least one dev has worked on. Very easy to add and remove components, add textures and colors, etc. And I know rigs are already being used for creatures, so it seems like the team should maybe use them for objects too? Again, I know very little of the process and even less of the development tools, but I wouldn’t mock one of the features that helps best set this game apart from minecraft so lightly.

Does this mean there will be no world or item progression for 1.0? Or was it just said to help make the point?

1 Like

That kinda scares me ._.

1 Like

I think she just says that because she’s not in charge of such a decision and you never make absoulte promises on the internet/ in the gaming industry^^

4 Likes

Try to not overanalyze every word from the devs :wink:

And Spore was a rather simple RTS built entirely around the creature builder. I think there is no “just” make it like the creature builder in Spore

I agree, thus my use of “conceptually”…in fact the only time I used “just” in my post was…[quote=“Clexarews, post:41, topic:3308”]
But if we’re just having one table, one chair, there’s no difference in terms of props.
[/quote]

I threw out a bunch of disclaimers stating my lack of knowledge of the Boundless developers tools or processes.

But I also work in the software industry and it seems silly to me that in 2015 there is a program that doesn’t include some ability to point and click to apply a pattern or color based on a template or pre-determined setting that they could use to add a few variants with relative ease (versus building a new one from scratch for each variant or building and design new combat systems, a progression system, new creature types, etc.).

In other words, I’m not buying that adding furniture variants is on a one-to-one scale with developing new races, creatures, wearables, or any of the various systems that have yet to be worked on. However, to be fair, this was just the meaning that I inferred from reading @jesshyland’s post and she probably didn’t mean it to be read that way.

I know The Sims removed their “create your own style” which is basically this, because it was very heavy on how much time it took to load the game.

Should be dev side, not player side.

As in devs should be able to add a structural/color/pattern variants based on these tools to the game and make it so that depending on the materials, positioning, etc. the objects change into these variants.

The only issue I see there being isn’t in designing and adding the variants but in mapping the variants to new crafting patterns in-game because I know nothing of this workflow.

1 Like

Ah yeah that makes sense :slight_smile:

I thought you where talking playerside and that gets heavy quickly.

1 Like

Oh my goodness haha I can’t even imagine how much of a mess that would be!

I really like the runners, but maybe that should be an option later down the line. While I am excited to have props (interactable please :)) much more interested in other gameplay features. Keep up the great work!