Atmospheres and Home

Preface: I’m relatively new and so for my first settlement I’ve really just built out a load of experiments to explore/learn block styles, colours and shapes. I’m thinking about a proper build - something more creative to house my main workshop.

I will travel round planets looking for places I like to set up my second and more settled, planned home. My curiosity is around atmospheres, the skills rework and brews (well really specifically the cost of brews). I believe the brews are too expensive, resource-wise, haven’t bothered making them and likely never will as things stand.

So with those things in mind, I wonder - should I limit myself to the relatively small selection of placid worlds? I’d like to be able to include all worlds in my hunt but I can’t get a sense of how expensive ensuring all my characters can be based there will be.

I know we’re dealing in speculation really at this point but I thought perhaps I might get a dev response on broad aims (I’m not expecting specifics). So…

Is the aim that the skill rework will allow for more skills overall on a character? I’m looking at the finite skill point pool, the demands on skills for mob (and soon atmosphere) survival and wondering if it’s reasonable to expect every character to be able to be fully protected against at least one planet’s harmful atmosphere(s) and then fulfil their actual role.

If the skill costs will not radically change, or otherwise, is there any likelihood of brew cost coming down so that alts can visit without a big grind to stop them dying standing idle?

I realise I’m owed no answers and there may not be any yet but I thought I’d ask as it’d be helpful as I plan my pre 1.0 but “final” home.

(I understand there may be protection offered by the base in future but I figure: a) that may not land at the same time as atmospheres and b) you still have to get to the base which often involves being outside.)

2 Likes

Good questions … I too haven’t made any of the brews for exactly the same reason and would love to know what the future prospects of atmospheres will be as well and the realistic ability to be able to settle on these planets when the effects come into play. I’ve already closed my shop on Munteen VII as it is gradually becoming a ghost town in munteen paradise which I’m guessing won’t improve. I now keep all my bases on Therka and just visit the other planets to hunt for resources as the boundless boundaries of Boundless slowly shrink.

So I am not a fan of the current planetary layout… For these reasons!

A) Ring Worlds are in the Center and are the Most dangerous best resources etc etc…
They tend to have a colored atmosphere so building nice things on them is a challenge…
But because they are central they are the most likely spot for Portal Hubs and with Portal Hubs
Comes the potential for Mega malls…

To date most of the major malls like Gemporium and Aquatopia etc are on Beryln Solum… But I see places like the Munteen Transfer hub with all the shops around the portal hub being the new logical thing…

So basically to summarize:
The Pretty Nice to look at Safe Homeworlds are Not going to be the center of populations they should be!!!
Because the floating high in the air portal hub / mega shop is what I believe most people with gravitate towards if things don’t change come the wipe…

I Know I for one will likely set up on either Munteen or Vulpto and create a massive Portal Hub surrounded bye shopping mall… Instead of have my Mall on Berlyn… And I doubt I am alone is this line of thought…

So what I would like to see is the Universe switched around and the Ring Worlds being out on the Outer Ring and the Home Worlds be in the center… makes far more sense that the Outer ring would be the wild dangerous land and that the close center homeworlds would be the populated civilized area…

Anyway thats my view point on things currently…

1 Like

I think at this point it won’t matter what you decide because we haven’t seen the atmospheres in action and you will not get a solid answer on what is going to happen until it does.

If you settle on a starter planet you have to be prepared to always have the high potential for people to move in right beside you. Personally I would just find a planet you like and set up a house there. You can always portal to more popular locations or be in a popular location if you like that type of thing.

I wouldn’t put too much effort into securing a perm location because the game will change in some aspects that might affect any location you pick… plus there is a planned wipe at some point before 1.0 release so your house will be locked when these worlds are closed.

Just use this time to learn how you wish to play the game for after 1.0 and test things out… Also note if you build on solum and its moon/ring world, those places are copied to the test servers every so often… So that will give you stuff there if you ever want to use the test servers.

1 Like

There may be a third option in the future:

Remember we are just practicing now and it isn’t exactly a wipe as we all start over on new planets. There will be many more planets than there are now and none of us have any idea what that number will be, or the configuration of the universe. We won’t have portals to start. Some people will rent planets and not travel on public planets a lot. Things should be vastly different than now. So, planning now for after 1.0 is sort of a waste of time and definitely a waste if you are planning for which of the current planets to do what on.

1 Like