Auction House

If you have nothing to spend it on why not put out some request baskets with good offers for materials you need for your builds?

My issue with adding an AH though is that it removes one dimension of the market (location). It makes shopping and running a shop less interesting.

Regarding footfall driving exploration, it doesnā€™t, footfall is one incentive to build (not needed if you are a dedicated builder but it does provide some money you can use to buy stuff you need to build more). But the current shop system does encourage exploration, not everyone is going to want to do that though as indicated in this discussion but the current system allows for those not willing to spend time browsing to just spend a little more instead.

Having much of coin does not make stuff not overpriced. If you have millions of dollars, charging hundred for a roll, or hundred of thousands for screwdriver (even if itā€™s a very good one) is still madness.

Because Its way faster to just gather materials I need for buildings than to wait until someone take my coin and fill basket with materials. I need stone mostly. I can gather thousands of the type and colour I need in half an hour (I base the numbers on the well fed buff expiring, so I may be off). I might buy coalā€¦ but hereā€™s the problem I donā€™t know how much to pay for it, because the prices are so off the wall all over the universe, that no matter what I set, Iā€™d have a feeling that either I rip off the gatherers or they rip me off.

I donā€™t need AH, with items arriving in mail. What I would want is price listing, it can be per planet, even per region, or per city/settlement, with locations of shops. I can make the trip for the goods myself, I donā€™t care. I just donā€™t want to spend whole evening looking for a good price, because frankly in that time I probably will be able to make/gather tens or thousands of the stuff I wanted to buy.

Indeed I am the burger man.
Iā€™m the guy who chiseled the shoo
Iā€™m was also the only guy (citation needed) who had a working mailbox system in beta :yum: - credit for jiivita on the Mailbox cameo

I am a slow builder, a glass cannon hunter, a general faffer-about, but now and then I get something to workā€¦ and people want this so Iā€™m gonna try my hand at it

If you are happy with the price you set they arenā€™t ripping you off (you set the price) and if they are selling to you then your price was right for the location you put the basket at.

With regards to how fast you mine stone, itā€™s twice as fast if one other person mine stone as well. But my point was just that there is always a use for coins. I recently bought some advenced power coils because I thought I had enough coin and might as well spend it rather than try to mine enough gems myself and thus spared myself hours of mining that I can spend on something else I want to do in the game.

1 Like

Exactly, I want to spare myself hours of finding shops selling stuff I want for a reasonable price. Iā€™d rather mine instead.

To each his own I guess. But sounds like you are to fixated on finding the lowest price, if you have the money itā€™s just a question of if you would rather buy it (where you happen upon it while browsing a few shops) or just stay out mining. I usually browse some shops when exploring peoples builds and the only thing that really bothers me about the current shop system is all the dead unstocked shops which I donā€™t really think would be solved by making it easier to find the shop with the lowest price.

The cheap items I think have maybe even fair price I can collect or create in bulk (mass production actually) myself, so I donā€™t need to buy it (why buy single iron hammer, when I create them in batches of 30?). And the items I could, or would buy, are either unavailable anywhere, and I donā€™t wanā€™t to spend hours looking for them (iā€™d rather dig/chop/gather/whatever myself in the time I spend looking for) or are heavily overpriced. Tens of thousands for bag of topaz bombs? I one evening, few hours I can gather all needed materials for stack of iron bombs, and then with them gather enough topaz gems to create stack of topaz bombs. So either I am really good and start doing and selling this overpriced stuff (but what for, I wont spend those coins anyway), or those prices are sickly high, orā€¦ I canā€™t find reasonably priced shop, which brings us to point one: I donā€™t wanā€™t to spend hours looking for them.

att all there is no set price for something, its all related to efford you want to do or not.
If you can easy mine coal because you have a lot luck and you just dash the coal easy, then coal is not that worth for you maybe, since you make XYZ amount / hour, so you might have a lower price on it.

others that maybe not have luck and are just happy to have any coal at all will demand more money for them since they can produce less / hour and it got more value to them.

the only way to calculate a price to me is:
how long do i need to produce 1 of those items in average * how many money i want for an amount of time

Absolutely not true. One of the stores I do use, the owner is not a builder. He focuses on crafting and running a store. His store is well organized but pretty close to being a bland box. I could care less. The product matters. Maybe what I should be thinking is the guy using decorative gems is making too much money so he must be over priced?

Your argument can be worked anyway you want about how a store looks. Advertising has nothing to do with how fancy a store is. Wal-Mart the stores are bland boxes with fluorescent lighting. They are a huge company and work on volume. No one seems to care, they are buying there because of price and range of merchandise. Boundless stores sell commodities (except for maybe forged tools) an iron hammer is an iron hammer is an iron hammer. Price and maybe convenience is the only differential.

1 Like

Personally I would like a both systems. Shop-stands and an opt-in Auction Hall but encouraging people to use Shop-stands.

First of the Auction Hall should be Planet-based in order to promote travel and trade between Planets.
Second it should be double the Shop-stand Tax. Laziness shouldnā€™t get rewarded.

To promote smaller Builds Iā€™d allow Auction-Stands only in the second and below Settlements of a planet.
Excluding the Capital city.

This is just a first thought on it. But I think if the framing is correct a Auction hall could add to the game.

1 Like

It would be interesting to have a variant on the shop stand that acts more as an auction, where you let people bid on larger volumes of commodities, then you could build an auction house if you want to. But this probably doesnā€™t solve the issues the proponents here want to solve.

Iā€™m generating 300-400 coins per day in footfall traffic on Lamblis, and all i did was build a bridge across the lava :joy:

Added a couple shops with basic provisions last night, weā€™ll see how that goes - itā€™s a bridge above all else. Near the Aqua base on Lamblis if anybody wants to come generate more footfall.

Well, first - money will be circulating in this case. Sure, it will be bought instantly at first. But that already mean that people with a lot of coins will be using those coins to buy out this stacks.
Second - if people will be buying out steel tools to drive the price up there will be people flooding the market with said tools. I can make hundreds of those right now if i would be bothered and iā€™m not even grinding them. If I know they will be bought out in huge quantities fast I will put a lot of those.

There is no way a bunch of rich people could buy all said items while people like me will just gather resources ā†’ make tools ā†’ sell in large quantity all the time.

So at the beginning we will have volatile economy, but it will stabilize at point where people are willing to buy those tools but at the same time are not willing to mass buy to drive prices up.

You do understand that it did cost 500 and more some time ago? :stuck_out_tongue: Okey, even so, this is your guessing. Minor resources right now are stupidly cheap and tools have very high price. Margins on some shops are just outrages. But this is my opinion.

You think they are not doing it now? Look at the big shops in common areas. Prices IMHO are completely off the chart (way to expensive) for what the stuff is worth in my opinion and/or way to cheap buying stuff. Especially people are reaping out on teaching food resources while requesting those.
Really, right now without base for comparison, this system is way easier to rip off than auction house.

Truth be told Auction House will make economy pro-consumer while now it is pro-well placed shopkeepers.

That is because auction house will make demand and supply globalized and easily accessible by everyone, while now it is doted by shopping center monopolized by best situated (placed) shopkeepers.

The only similar shark economy I remember was Linage 2 without auction house where people would just sell stuff offline by setting afk shops. And even then it was less minority oriented cause here you can actually reserve place for your shop and keep other people off the spot while there you just set your character down.
Still people would often buy from first stand they saw stuff even if 5 meters deeper had better prices.

Iā€™m not even sure if Eve Online has so much barriers for wannabe merchants as boundless right now has and this game is known for cutthroat economy gameplay.

Sure it is design choice and i really donā€™t care one or the other way, but for sake of merit this imho had to be said.

1 Like

the economy in this game is so uniq.
an ah might not kill the game but it sure wouldnā€™t add to it.
I say let the inevitable happen. use your 3rd party store spreadsheet whatever and leave the shop system how it is.
I like it just the way it is.

1 Like

No, its not. It is very similar to economy before internet :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, this is nearly inevitable that with current model such stuff will emerge. Like tone of stuff around boundless it will be easily accessible to veterans who read and participate in community but inaccessible to newbies.

I donā€™t. But that is just one opinion. Either way I wouldnā€™t care that much about this whole stuff if people would not try to rip up new players. Especially those who do not travel much.

1 Like

Community is very split on this one lol

1 Like

well the problem with ā€œripping offā€ players is, that you easily could work against it by just using fair prices, after a while ppl will check your shope more often if its avaiable via portal hubs etc, like i to sell copper tools for 60c where the most ppl sell them for 130-160.

also i sell white gleam for 5c and not as most ppl for 30+
(and i sell refined gleam for even 4c since they are becoming more when refined)

but then i see ppl buying leafes for 3c wtf, but im more for the liberal site here, everybody is free to putt efford into being a good shopper and allways know where good offers are, or just the guy that gos to allways the same and buy overprized stuff there, just because the got everything

1 Like

itā€™s true but I have faith the devs will make the right disitions. there a sharp bunch :smile_cat:

Yup!

Just because the players ā€˜wantā€™ something doesnā€™t mean it fits within the vision of the game they are designing. Based on the way shop stands are currently setup, it doesnā€™t look like this is the direction they wanted to go in (which I think is good).

2 Likes