Back to grinding (feedback on live update)

The mining speed doesn’t feel that much lower to me. Sure, it will make the difference when mining a lot, in terms of time taken, but it doesn’t feel that bad. I do prefer it to be faster, but it feels similar to before the skills were added, at least for me.

About jump stuff, I’ve already commented on this yesterday, but just to quickly reiterate, for me it’s a useability issue vs grapples. When they add the other type of grapples that auto-reels, I probably won’t have any issue anymore.

The new jump height doesn’t feel bad, no, but it does prevent me from doing things I was doing before without having to use the grapples - building in height is going to be a bit more frustrating for me for a while. The actual issue I have with this jump iteration is that the double jump seems harder to do; feels clunky, and I can’t reliably “feel” when it’s going to work or not…

2 Likes

Double jump needs different timing now, you need to get used to a bit. But it seems like it only propels you forward, adds something like half block in height?

Grapples that auto reel are already out, gold and diamond grapples auto reel

1 Like

I think the height added by it is about that much, yes. If you jump standing in one spot it doesn’t propel forward, so I’m not sure what you mean? It does add to horizontal travel distance if you’re already moving/in the air, is that it?

The timing doesn’t feel that different to me; it’s just that for some reason sometimes it just doesn’t work :s

Thanks! This wasn’t mentioned to me in the reply the devs gave me on the other thread.

1 Like

yeah that’s what I meant :slight_smile: Bad wording

1 Like

We have a significant change to mining coming.

The aim is to make mining feel fun throughout the game. So when you start playing Boundless mining shouldn’t be a grind. But it’s extremely difficult to make mining feel fun at the beginning and make progression improve the performance during progression. This would give us a very narrow window for mining progression.

Roughly speaking the plan is to vary block strength per world. In the same way Creature difficulty increases on harder worlds, Block strength will also increase on harder worlds. This means we can balance the mining on Level 0 starter worlds for new players with the most basic tools, and also balance mining on Level 5 hard worlds for players with many skills applied.

Then the balance could target (just as an example):

• Level 1 World: 3 hits for a Wooden hammer, 2 hits for a Stone hammer, 1 hit for a Metal hammer (and above).
  • Level 2 World: 4 hits for a Wooden hammer, 3 hits for a Stone hammer, 2 hits for a Metal hammer, 1 hit for an Alloy hammer (and above).
  • Level 3 World: 5 Wood, 4 Stone, 3 Metal, 2 Alloy, 1 hit for a Gem hammer (and above).
  • Level 4 World: 6 Wood, 5 Stone, 4 Metal, 3 Alloy, 2 Gem, 1 hit for a Special hammer.
  • Level 5 World: 7 Wood, 6 Stone, 5 Metal, 4 Alloy, 3 Gem, 2 hits for a Special hammer.

Player skill progression would then improve on these base balances.

(NOTE: This is just some balance data I’ve made up to communicate the proposal.)

Now the question is: What effect will this have on how everyone plays?

1. Will players always travel to Level 1 worlds to gather building resources? If so, is this bad?

2. Anything else?

3. Will this discourage players from living on harder worlds? Maybe not, if they’re able to easily craft the higher end tools. So it’s simply not a blocker as they mine all resources with a single hit.

4. Anything else?

You may have seen the designs we have for communicating increased levels. This will be shared between player health, creature levels, and now block levels.

A block on a level 1 world versus a level 4 world.

A creature with higher level health.

19 Likes

I have to say jumping was way too easy and mining speed also felt unrealistic with the faster tools (like copper), so I’m happier with the way it is now.

3 Likes

That all sounds good I think.

However, this was indeed the first thing on my mind when you mentioned the increased block healths for more difficult worlds. I suppose I would still look for rock on a higher level world if it looked different; if it looked the same, I wouldn’t bother at all, unless I had to, to get through to other materials like ore, of course.

I think that sounds about right, for how I play. If the proportional difficulty becomes manageable and similar to a base experience by having the appropriate toolset, then I personally wouldn’t feel discouraged from doing so.

The difference to the bars being sectioned would be good, too.

1 Like

Yeah me too. And gem hammers still mine fast, I just tested that. So I really like this update so far !

2 Likes

Yeah, I have a topaz hammer I don’t use, it’s really quite good (better than I remember when I tried it before)

I would honestly like to know; why does it seem to bother people if something like that is “unrealistic”? Not only is it a game, it’s in a magical/sci-fi universe… I’m not having a go at you on this, I just want to understand why other people see it that way and I see it another.

Like I’ve mentioned before elsewhere, I personally don’t think Gold Alloy tools make any sense, especially for mining something like Titanium or hard gems like Diamond, but I just go along with it - An iron crucible would also not be able to smelt some materials, and the mixer is not really a great realistic depiction of a machine that would be used to create alloys…

I could go on, but do you see my point? If I wanted to nitpick about what’s realistic or not, the game is not consistent about realistic behaviour in general.

I would like to know what the devs think should be “realistic” or not in the game, too.

3 Likes

@SWProzee1 @boundmore as I said I don’t have anything against it if gems were more avaialble, but after completely mining about 50 plots, and strip mining about 150 more and finding about 30 rubies under a high mountain etc I don’t think it’s realistic until gems distribution gets an update.

2 Likes

Yeah I know @Spoygg . I mentioned this a long time ago already.

If all visible gems are gone then the only way to get the gems is to really mine deep into rocks.
Then new generation will hopefully respawn new gems too.

But they already said that they are monitoring and tweaking that.

3 Likes

My usual hourly haul is 20ish rubies and more on a good day; no strip mining though as this particular gem is not made for stripping.

I kinda like this level of rarity here; in my opinion its sapphires, topaz and amethyst that need change as they are too difficult to find - their level of rarity is way off and no fun whatsoever.

3 Likes

Yeah, we’re in alpha after all :smiley: Not yet ready to quit :smiley: ahahha

5 Likes

Yeah, they are worse by far :smiley: Diamonds seem to be the most likely to find

1 Like

That sounds amazing. I look forward to its implementation.

1 Like

Diamonds are typical gems for strip mining as you have large areas free of lava. Diamonds and rubies give me best mining results indeed. I just think that high spawning rule for gems (sapphires, amethyst) has no right to be if there is no world with enough land on spawn-able altitudes.

2 Likes

Yeah, absence of land is the main issue probably :slight_smile:

Simply because Boundless is not a game based on magic, it’s a game based on technology. All those machines make sense cuz they’re highly advanced machines. Jumping, not so much, since there’s no technology involved, just our character.

Also, this isn’t the final version of jumps as many of the other things we have, first it was too extreme, let’s see if the current state is good enough or if it should be lowered or upgraded.

Also. “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.”- Arthur C. Clarke

4 Likes

completely agree!

Let me note that not only swing speed of tools is too high at high levels, but also the placing of the blocks. When i trying to set one block, some times two or even three blocks are placed instead.

And i don’t know what you think about this, but i’m don’t use climbing skill at all.

1 Like