Testing 170: Optimisations, Block Levels, and Angry Creature Spawning!

them devs tho…hard at it

1 Like

That’ll teach those flower power hippies!

5 Likes

Sounds amazing! can’t wait till i can find some time to check this out…

lol sounds like i’ll soon be adjusting my project i’ve been chipping away at XD. I look forward to seeing the progression of mining plays out =)

I’m still thinking that increased health for normal blocks is a bad idea. Gems and gleam and titanium and maybe hard coal I can see, but normal rocks and sand? :expressionless:

2 Likes

I feel you there but he’s talking about

that could mean any number of things… that max lvl mining on ring worlds is the same as it now but takes more points to get there… while being able to mine much faster / better (or just the same) with less points on home worlds… or it could just be that mining on moons and ring worlds is just more expensive in tools and time… which im not much of a fan for… but it would be nice to have more of a “progression” instead of everything being the same across the board

if blocks are simply harder to mine on ring worlds it could also be balanced by being more rewarding. as in iron could be harder to mine by ether needing more hits or even a higher tool BUT it gives more iron per block or even a secondary resource unique to the planet XD

At any rate it’s usually the progression in the game that keeps me going… It would be awesome to work up to going to another planet… And then have that “starting fresh” feeling of of having to work up to being effective on the new planet… Instead of simply getting there and realizing it’s just like the last planet except it’s a different color and maybe it has a few new enemies and the job of hunting for supper rare gems.

Just my two cents ^^

Edit: I am ever the optimist XD

3 Likes

This is my post and the thread that originally discussed this change:

2 Likes

Slowing hammers ( lowering dps ) and raising the HP of blocks seems counter productive for a building game with limited content. Maybe if there was something else to do, but at this point it’s just making it take longer to get the stuff to test with.

I strongly suggest putting it back until you get to a point there is more to test then just blocks, tools and limited crafting.

I think trying to balance this stuff now is way to early. Unless this is the bulk of the game. I really hope not.

I agree it does need to happen but after all the skills, crafting, dungeons, wearable stuff and whatever else is coming for v1. Balance in beta when you have all the info.

1 Like

How far in did you test Tigreen? Have not played 170 yet myself, but understood that we should be able to one-shot blocks on start worlds now with better tools + skills - or is this not yet in effect?

Not a ton of testing 170, but that’s not the point. As skills, abilities, gear, ect. come online all this balancing will have to be redone. At this point in the game there is not a lot of advantage to balancing as many of the systems are not in place. Why slow down our testing of the few systems currently in game or of new systems as they are added? Each new system that in added will affect the current in unforeseen ways.

Slowing down testing early on is counter productive. Sure I’ll still be playing, but now we will be doing so slower.

I think you misunderstood me. Did you test with iron/silver/gold hammers after the change? Or titanium? These are easily accessible on release and would be what most people use to mine. Just curious if your much slower speed is just right at the start (stone/copper) or throughout the pre-gem tools.

I hope to get time to test hammers over then next couple days. Should be interesting.

Yip, please report your findings. I mine alot, so this is of vital interest to me.

But this is the opposite of what is actually proposed. We’re increasing the breadth of block health. This allows us to balance the tools to feel nimble across all the worlds as the player progresses.

Mining on a Level 1 world with the lower level material tools will feel good.
Mining on a Level 5 world with the highest level material tools and full progression will feel good.

(Obviously mining on a Level 5 world with the lower level materials and no progression will be extremely slow. But this matches the target combat balance. New player on Level 5 = death.)

7 Likes

I like that this proposal prevents or drastically discourages trying to mine lvl 5 worlds and their resources as an inexperienced miner. It also further separates the roles so that a fighter can not mine as effectively as a miner, and visa versa, but does not prevent a fighter from getting resources themselves. They can always mine just fine on lvl 1 worlds.

7 Likes

In line with this update, I also hope that there is a way to limit new players from accessing existing portals in general (others’ settlements, etc.) to jump around to other planets.

There was a suggestion before of a mandatory rough oort stone donation on each use which could work (though this is actually a bit of a weak hindrance and I’m in favor more of ‘skill’ related one).

Right now, with how good our community is, there are tons of free portals which somehow lessen the grandeur of portals.

I went to each plant level and using a copper hammer I see no difference. All the stone on each planet still takes 2 hits. Metals and other special blocks all take 3 hits with iron and gold hammers.

I am maxed out in power, dex and hammer.

Maybe the changes are not out yet?

Are you playing the testing version by any chance?

1 Like

If you’d wish to play on the test branch and help test the new content/modifications, you must first go into steam and go through this process:

1: Right Click Boundless within Steam

2: Open the Beta tab

3: Set the desired branch to “testing”

1 Like

Thanks for the tip!

You’re very welcome! :smiley:

1 Like