This update is accessible via the “Testing” release of Boundless on Steam.
Please restart Steam to make sure you get the latest version of Boundless. If the update happens whilst Steam is open it’s unlikely you’ll get the latest version.
Please be aware that this Testing release is pretty rough, but we’ve released it for everyone to checkout. Remember the Testing releases are for testing and not long term playing. Take a look at it, report any issues you discover and then return to the Live release to continue playing. We want to be able to release Testing weekly so that everyone can see the progress between (more) stable Live releases.
There are a few outstanding crashes on Windows PC and Mac OS X that we’ve not reproduced yet. The creature threat system is pretty aggressive - they’re definitely out for justice for past crimes against their kind. There will likely be 1 or 2 more Testing releases before these features are ready for Live. Especially with the new Creature balancing and Block Level mining balancing. These systems aim to make the game accessible and feel good for new players, whilst giving longer term players a challenge and reward for progressing their character when experiencing the higher level worlds.
- Crafting + Resources + Equipment:
- Adjusted experience received from ancient technology seams to be a fair amount, and flowers to be a small amount (to reduce the effectiveness of picking them up and placing them as a cheap XP gain).
- Blocks on moons (Level 2 worlds) now have more health than on home planets, and ring (Level 3) worlds have even more. This allows us to better balance the speed and progression of mining.
- Creatures + Combat + Characters:
- Improved creature spawning so creatures should spawn much more often.
- Spawn creatures ahead of the player when they are traveling.
- Despawn creatures far away from players more quickly and decreased spawn in/out distances. This increases the number of creatures closer to players.
- Reduced creature counts so the game is not overly cluttered with creatures (after the above changes).
- Optimised the spawning system server for CPU load.
- Improved the hud damage indicators.
- Let the character look almost perfectly straight/up down again so that you can select planets directly above your head again etc.
- Re-balanced creature health, damage and armour values to make them much more challenging.
- Re-balanced creature variants spawning on each world.
- Different power creatures on some worlds.
- Rate of fire and projectile speed variations.
- Improved creature spawning so creatures should spawn much more often.
- Sanctum + Tutorial + Objectives + Progression:
- Modifications in the objectives system:
- All the completed objectives have to be claimed to obtain the reward.
- Created new daily/weekly panel at the top of the feats screen.
- Now the feats can be tracked.
- Tracking shortcut with right click for feats and regular objectives.
- Moved Equipment crafting skills earlier in the progression unlock order.
- Removing level 35 level cap and going back to 50
- Removing the need to build a portal on another world to complete the objective
- Modifications in the objectives system:
- GUI + HUD:
- Added hotkey (K) to toggle the social screen.
- Added new air bar in the hud.
- Certain Crafter feats have been repositioned in the GUI
- Certain Explorer feats have been repositioned in the GUI
- Fighter feats have been renamed to Combat
- Moved “chunk cache size”, and “chunk download rate” settings into a Network tab on the setting GUI.
- Added a new game option in the network settings tab which disables all of the bad-connection flow, including inputs being reset to 0 server-side when the connect falters, allowing people to play with bad-behaviour and rubber banding if they choose to do so, instead of being returned to the sanctum or prevented from playing on that server.
- Added segmented health bars to help communicate health and level variation of players, creatures and blocks.
- Added Quickmove (shift and click LMB or RMB) from backpack to quickuse in Inventory menu
- Client inputs are now reset to 0 server-side when the client is unresponsive on the network. This will halt players when their connection is temporarily lost.
- The bad-connection screen is modified to prevent changing the camera view until only 10 seconds are left in the countdown, the character equally will not go into the logging-out pose until such a time.
- The bad-connection “return more quickly” button, is replaced with a “return now” button that will (pending server communications) return you instantly back to the sanctum instead of waiting another 10 seconds.
- The bad-connection logic is slightly tweaked to delay putting you into the bad-connection state by an extra second in the hope the network improves first. An extra second is also added to the recovery logic. This should help reduce flip-flopping between the states too often.
- Fix some short/long-term physics issues:
- Continuous collisions against unloaded chunks may have put you into the world, whilst we generally resolve that with auto-unstuck feature added recently, this should make it just happen less often. That unstuck feature also only occurs server-side, and this issue was causing players to sometimes be stuck in the ground when returning to the sanctum too.
- Fix in building the initial set of physics chunk data after optimisations to split physics on y-levels, this would only very rarely have caused any issues and only since the recent releases.
- Fix bug in the sanctum where you could fall into the floor beside the warp that opens when “returning” to the sanctum from a game world (initial play of the game was unaffected).
- Many optimisations for the game client that should, in particular, make portal transitions much smoother in terms of frame-rate, and being in areas with lots of portals much smoother in terms of frame-rate.
- Improved quality of the anti-aliasing in the game removing certain artefacts that can appear especially in areas like the characters eyes, and removing the majority of unintended “blurring” in the image.
- Reduced the maximum speed in physics achievable to be about 90mph, adjusting the drag to reach this speed asymptotically now instead of clamping. This is largely speaking an optimisation as the speed achievable in physics by any entity has a direct cost in unrelated server-side systems that need to work in a such a way as to take into account client’s point of views at varying latencies, as they need to “cast a wider net” as it were, to take into account entities which from the clients point of view may have been much closer.
- Tweaked some physics values and slightly how stairs work in the physics to help fix/counteract issues that came about from us dropping the frame-rate of simulation from 30fps to 16fps when sprinting at high speeds.
- Bug fixes:
- Fixed a bug where one side of an open portal could end up with bad data allowing the user to fall into the ground next to it.
- Fixed an issue where you could get stuck in the bad connection screen after recovery.
- Fixed client crash when trying to add more than 255 columns (not individual plots, but unique columns) to a beacon.
- Fixed completed warps/portals not having their breaking decals correctly removed when the damage is reset without being fully broken.
- Fixed footfall not being generated by players without permissions… a bug introduced meant the opposite was happening and users “with” permissions were trying to generate footfall instead. oops!
- Fixed issues in shader that could lead to weird colour artefacts around blackened areas of textures and the lack of specularity in those areas (eg the blacks of characters eyes).
- Fixed not being able to generally walk onto slabs/steps from a low-friction material like ice.
- Fixed showing a timeout bar on other warp in sanctum now that it does not close on a timer.
Resolved Known Issues:
The following items were known issues in previous releases and have now been resolved.
- World Builder currently does not work on Mac.
The following items are known issues in this release.
- [new] Breaking the Campfire during the initial tutorial will reset some objectives and display the ‘Build a Temporary Campfire’ objective again.
- [new] Some feats are not shown on the GUI
- Beacons which are greater than 100 metres from the centre may not function correctly.
- Cannot close Inventory when Chat is used.
- Changing the Chunk Cache Size in fullscreen mode will disable game functionality.
- Entity rendering will not always work correctly when there are multiple warps very close together, or where a warp opens up to a location very near where the entrance is.
- Game displays welcome message for a world through a portal without going through it.
- GUI rendered incorrectly on Intel HD graphics (and some AMD / GTX laptop GPUs) on Windows.
- If the game (loader) fails to start on Windows 7 and 8 you may need to install https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2999226/update-for-universal-c-runtime-in-windows
- If you spend a skill point before the tutorial asks you to, you will be required to unlearn and relearn the skill again.
- Illegal protocol message sometimes appears after going through a portal.
- Item placed into Request Basket will disappear when placing the same item into storage.
- Item wanted is completely different to what was placed there before on the Request Basket.
- Items will occasionally be unable to smart stack with other items that belong in the same smart stack category.
- Menus may constantly reappear on screen after closing them.
- Objectives & Feats - Some tasks are not being tracked correctly.
- Opening or closing doors and trapdoors when standing too close to them will restrict player movement. To get out of the situation, interact with the door or trapdoor again.
- Placing an item into the Crafting Table will somehow miss the intended slot and will drop instead.
- Portal UI text overflows when the portal token name is very long.
- Request Baskets (previously Buying plinths) that had wanted items set before v151 have unset them. Sorry. Going forward they will be fine.
- Skill descriptions are not final.
- Some creatures may disappear instantly and drop items before their bodies hit the ground.
- Some interactive blocks (crafting table, machine, beacon control) have become corrupted during the migration. This will result in at best those blocks not being able to be interacted with, at worst the game crashing when interacting with those blocks. To fix the issue the block(s) in question need to be re-placed. In the case of anything other than a beacon control the block can simply be broken, picked up, and then re-placed. In the case of a beacon control this will work, although it would result in all the plots having to be re-placed one at a time and during that process the contents being unprotected. A better workaround for a beacon control is to craft a new beacon control, place that, and then break the old one, which will keep the beacon’s plots placed throughout the process.
- Speech bubbles may still be displayed above players after going through portals.
- The recipes are not final.
- Using D3DGear http://www.d3dgear.com/ crashes the game on start up.
- Z-fighting with some items (workbench and other machines) when placed underwater.