Bad weather

there is really bad weahter on All worlds since yesterday, i think we need a server restart

8 Likes

I noticed dust storms on Finata yesterday.

Itā€™s the end times. The universeā€™s end approaches. Soon, the Void will swallow it all.

But you knowā€¦ a server restart is good too, I guess.

8 Likes

Hehe, I noticed the dust storms and made up my own lore-reason - the Great Creators frown upon our shenanigans here, and though theyā€™ve gone quiet and retreated from the worlds, still find ways to express their displeasure. :joy: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain: :cloud_with_lightning_and_rain:

Guess I better go sacrifice a few dozen roadrunnersā€¦ that or stop ranting here. :thinking: Eh, killing the roadrunners is more fun and profitable, letā€™s go with thatā€¦

5 Likes

I smite the weather gods with a Clear Weather totem and all is well.

5 Likes

No why i should use the complete time a totem.
This is a server problem

3 Likes

I mean, all jokes aside, being serious for a secā€¦ I donā€™t really see how it is a server issue. How do you come to this conclusion? It looks more like itā€™s just bad luck in regards to how worlds distribute weather patterns, in regards to where you are at that moment. Itā€™s not like at some point, all the worlds get engulfed in storms.

On Raxxa, at least, I donā€™t have that issue, and Iā€™ve been playing a lot recently. It rains a lot, and sometimes, I get the weird weather effects like the little alien parasites floating, the small light orbs, or rose petals. 'cause Iā€™m in a world which is built (in terms of biomes) in a way that allows these weather effects to occur.

BUT I will agree on one thing : the idea of needing a ā€˜Clear Weather Totemā€™ is preposterous.
Iā€™ve said it when they were added, and Iā€™ll keep saying it : we need some form of weather-alteration in the beaconsā€™ options! The totem boons proved itā€™s possible to change weather from the perspective of the user.
They could add this as a Gleam-Club-only feature, I wouldnā€™t care either, and it would give another reason to get GC.

3 Likes

This is not the first time whit the problem, last time was 2021 or 2020 when i remember right.
After Server restart the problem was fixed.

No is not bad luck etc, since over 24 hours fog and dust Storm .

Not only for me, ps 4 players PC players and different countrys.

How i say this problem is not the first time

5 Likes

Can confirm the bad weatherā€¦windsā€¦stormsā€¦fog are back again on Arie and have been constant for last day now. This is maybe the 3rd time this issue has cropped up now and each time it required dev intervention. Maybe @james can find a moment and see if it can be fixed how they fixed it the last few times

Arenā€™t servers restarted for each fix/maintenance, though? Last time the servers were restarted canā€™t be a year agoā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
EDIT: Ok, Iā€™m in River Towns on Arie right now, and I can confirm that there is a dust storm blowing.
But going to RTGā€™s guild hall still on Arie, there is not, so itā€™s not everywhere on Arie at the same time.

EDIT 2: Went to severals places on Sochaltin 1, thinking it could be something localized on the worlds in the EUC region, but nope.

At the guildhall area does seem better with regard to the winds and storm but visibility into the distance is still impaired by ā€˜fogā€™ which brings the distance to well below what I normally see while there (playing on PC with max distance and quality settings). Also have been going into and out of portals to other low level worlds and seeing the same problem on some but others seem fine (at least at the locations Im visitng on said worlds). Without knowing how the system for weather and atmospheres is set up its hard to comment on why this should be so but there does seem to be a problem with the weather system again as happened several times in the past.

EDIT. So far from what ive seen Gellis, Dzassak, Eresho seem fine but Imoco, Niia Zed Ka, Refgar also seems to be having weather problems (mostly fog).

Im also seeing the regional weather problem on Lamblis. The initial region through Ultimas portal seems fine but at Terra Novas hub I can barely see to the other side for the density of the fog!

1 Like

Not sure on which other worlds the annoying weather is showing.

@james But I can attest that River Town has been hit by a dust storm at least ever since I showed up nearly 20 minutes ago, which is abnormal.

Left: RTG Guild Hall (seems normal) Right: River Towns (canā€™t see other worlds in sky at all)

This is not a ā€œjust restart the serversā€ issue. It looks more like the actual weather pattern of dust storm has a behavioral issue in regards to how long it can last. Restarting the servers would merely delay the issue.

3 Likes

Just a reminder. If you put on a clear weather totem. And go to sanctum. Remove the totem from your hand. And go back to your world youā€™ll have permanent clear weather until you use a clear weather totem again. Even if you die it stays. Everything is always sunshine for me now. :v:

6 Likes

Agreed, it is a workaround and I do have totems and grapples etc with the clear weather quirk but documenting that all is not well with the Boundless weather system at this time. I could imagine some unfortunate newcomers logging in and wandering around and being totally bemused by it all if this were to be their first taste of Boundless

5 Likes

just leaving this here for info

edit and the video of last year when it happened to me on a sov.

1 Like

Yeah it definitely shouldnā€™t be happening. And this has happened before. But it is a great work around. I used it during the Oortmas event as it snow excessively.

Between this, the dust storms and how snow is just a pain in the @$$ with 0 benefit to anyone, I just wish James could simply disable all the ā€˜annoyingā€™ weather effects and just keep the mild ones like light rain, rose petals, fire-flies, etc.

2 Likes

:+1: I would expect extreme weather on a T7 or T8, but never on lower tier calm/residential planets.

Weā€™ve had a recurring weather/atmosphere bug that has to be fixed from time to time. I guess itā€™s time again.

3 Likes

It should NOT be acceptable for an issue to re-appear every once in a while. Either an issue is fixed or itā€™s not.

2 Likes

If whatever math determines the weather is based on server up-time, or is a running simulation, etc, itā€™s quite possible for the issue to live in some variable that lives in memory on the server, and for it to be resolved by a server restart without determining the actual cause of the issue.

Considering that the reproduction steps are ā€œlet the server run for 3 months without a restartā€, it could be rather difficult to debug on a dev machine. They should be able to work on it on the prod server, but this issue came up after they stopped actually working on the game so :man_shrugging:

It looks like the last restart was probably Dec 17, 2021.

3ish months sounds about right for how long it is between this happening relative to known server restarts.

Hopefully @james can address this relatively quickly. I know last time it took quite a while to resolve. I donā€™t know if itā€™s possible with their server setup, but it is possible to automate server restarts in most cases.

2 Likes