Beacon Changes

I’m really finding the new update with the beacons to be a huge problem, and could be a killer for already existing community builds.

Could it have been possible to have the change not be automatic, forcing people to turn off the changes… perhaps it could have left existing beacons alone and given us the opportunity to request a buffer.

The problem now lies in the fact that there are people out there who are long gone and now their beacons are an issue.

I gotta be honest here and say, this part of the update is no bueno.

7 Likes

There are numerous issues in our city/mall and there’s nothing I can do to help anyone. The guild thing doesn’t help because we are a blend of many guilds. The spaces are next to each other so the buffer is harming rather than helping. People are stuck, unable to trade/move, & the ones that have tried are losing plots. Lots of players plotted then went M.I.A. - no way to contact them or anything.

1 Like

This is exactly why I started this thread:

I am pretty disappointed that the change was still implemented without all the technical and player based situations being covered. Now people are going to push even more for player plot specific transfer.

I have not confirmed but has anyone seen in the Debug Menu if you can see the “plot timing” or anything around the buffer zone data so at least before you unplot you can see who might have authority over the plots?

Yea it’s caused problems for me already. Since I’m quitting I have some spots I was going to give someone but can’t as the buffers will take over and make it so they can’t plot it

I agree this is how it should have been implemented but hindsight is always 20/20. Default to no buffer, with an option to toggle it on.

1 Like

Several posts asked for it to be defaulted off and force a player to log on to turn on. There was definitely some foresight in this.

2 Likes

The data is probably just hidden, but I don’t see it under any of the sections

1 Like

I don’t think the solution is having people PM/ask each other for perm to plot. People are in different time zones. It’s already been super hella hard to meet up with people for sign changes, structure changes, etc as it was. Edit to add: there are several times I’ve stayed up past 3am to meet up with a player to give them plots, since we kept missing each other, otherwise.

Plus there’s no way to contact people that make a place and sit-it-then-forget-it or have gleamclub and we never see again.

5 Likes

This is just more of an argument and further evidence to just let us trade beacons with other people. This is taking up too much dev time that should be focused elsewhere on the game.

Just let land speculation be a thing, the player base will adjust, and dev time dealing with this stuff and finding new fixes would fall drastically.

4 Likes

Thanks. I assume you checked every other area in the sections. We likely need to put in a feature request to have it added. I think at least having that data would help a lot unless it compromises things like when the beacon expires, etc.

1 Like

They could also just remove the feature.

2 Likes

Remove the feature and all the issues remain that were the issue before hand. Yes they could just remove it, but all that does is fix the new dilemma. It doesnt address the crying need this game is asking for in the way of player to player plot transfers. The amount of good that would come from it would drown out the bit of bad that may occur in the form of land speculation*.

*certainly my personal opinion but based off years of gaming with real estate functions, i don’t think I am wrong on this.

Ah YES i suspected that the MALL and structured city ploting from the new update would be an issue. This is has become apart of boundless organized groups with in a sandbox. I can think of a few ways to fix the new reserve plots system, to accommodate this. thanks MajorVEX for the screenshots of detailing out this issue.
I think when removing plots, the reserved status should goto who removed the plot. a holder beacon should not beable to claim plots upto another reserve plot and over take the claim on the reserve status.

Also reserve plots should be setable in terms of turning off certain parts as in MajorVEXs MALL so parts do not get reserve. also to addin reserve plot authorized to let players now do a control change over of plot claims with one dropping plots, then authorizing that player on that beacon to be able to claim reserved, thus allowing that other player to beacon on a reserved.

Again need to have reserved plot setting options features. would be like plot zoning data.

if anything this should get address soon, or the current cities and malls will suffer and get ruined for prolonged period of time.

1 Like

The devs pushed it through because they get too many support questions about people blocking each other, etc.

They should just have made it off by default so it wouldn’t cause issues with beacons that belong to players that can’t be reached because they aren’t active anymore…

I do hope we now will get easy beacon transfer out of this tho! Preferably in a way that not both accounts have to be there at the same time (ie. alts)…

2 Likes

Agreed… I just haven’t seen enough of a good solution to the trolling and plot blackmail and other situations that will be supported more by the transfer option. It seems like each decision is causing more yucky decisions.

Plus I think the beacon transfer ultimately will need a “plot” only transfer now that we have buffers. We have to be honest that the only reason the buffer zone came into play was for two things:

1. people could not control the settlement they joined
  2. people plotting right up beside a person

We could have solved some of this in other ways.

Wow, hahaha, I just thought of something funny!

The tutorial is actually asking new players to join a settlement which is impossible now! :joy:

5 Likes

Like Aenea just stated, the game is forcing these ‘butting up’ issues in the first place because although it’s a sandbox game some of these objectives are followed to the T by new players who aren’t used to sandbox games and need that hand-holding via quests/objectives/.whatever you want to call them. Nevermind the mall/city issues that are agreed upon by all.

A lot of these issues aren’t an issue of people intentionally being mean. They’re just doing what the game says.

And as far as not seeing enough good about why beacon transfers would be a good idea, as far as I am concerned there is one reason out of the gate that should have been the sole reason for implementing beacon transfer and that is the ability to sale houses/offices/warehouses/factories/art installations.

Why is that one singular reason not good enough to implement this feature?

1 Like

If there are issues please report them to me.

We made these changes for the good of all players. Clearly there will be knock-one. But we’re here to help correct them.

7 Likes

James, I think every mall, and eeek… should I dare say it, co-op is basically ruined now.

Time to reinvent the wheel.
Edited to add… I can see however in city planning this could be good when a player leaves… beacon camping will get better.

2 Likes

Um, it’s not working well at all…

4 Likes