Beacon Persistence

Yep. I don’t accept teleport requests in minecraft. I don’t lend gold or trade gold for gift boxes in WoW. I don’t trade back and forth crafted glyphs in ESO. I’ll contribute materials to a guild wanting to build a town. I’ll take ownership of a home if they want to build one for me. But it will be aesthetic only. My real powerbase will likely be somewhere accessible by only me. Just safer that way.

2 Likes

Ofc a map-layer with plinths, should be very useful for other then merchants to.

how do you track whether they’re in or out of stock? Seems like a map layer containing all of this info is a very complex fix for a simple problem. And it’s only one of the many problems mentioned by people here that permanent beacons would pose.

How do you track what left in old house? You have to go there.

Definitely not true.
Eve Online has an Alliance (≈Guild) that´s known for scamming (even within the guild). It sure has a bad reputation but it has grown big enough to force merchants to deal with them.
So this is definitely a realistic scenario.

I think you are also underestimating this scenario, I´m afraid that a lot of collaborative projects would eventually end up like this:

3 Likes

Did you even read what I or Zouls wrote?
It’s not about banks == containers or Boundless == Triple A MMO. It’s about progress.
We compare progress in Boundless to progress in another game to make it apparent what would be lost. In this case the best analogie we found was banks in other MMOs because Boundless is also an MMO and most people who want to play Boundless most likely know other MMOs which are build after the same formula as every other Triple A MMO.

Which also means that I don’t feel differently than you but mean something else entirely.

That doesn’t help you if you want to safe many different (!) things which most likely won’t be stackable for balance or programming reasons.

Things in a guild chest are not safe either so they don’t count. Things on my character are, as already said, limited by the size of my inventory, which isn’t big. Coins, skills and experience are not in the 60% of progress I think building or storing stuff in your beacon will contain. Because they are not built or stored in your beacon.
And the brain means recepies, strategies to fight monsters etc. Those are progress to you know.

First of all it doesn’t matter how big the guild is. What matters is how big the town is. Because that’s where the beacons are.
But you’re right we don’t know anything about guilds. That doesn’t mean a guild couldn’t do the same with the features we have at the moment.
Make a guild with 2-3 friends and pool your beacons. You’d still have a problem if one of those quit unexpectedly and without telling you but that is much less likely than a random person in your town.

You do if you want to build in a town where all the beacons belong to one guild. That’s just how it is.

False assumption again. It’s about the beacons and thus space. Not about housing all the members of a guild.

If that’s how you want to play the game go ahead. It’s a sandbox game so play it however you want. But it’s not an argument for or against permanent beacons.

Where did I say I wouldn’t have to craft my own beacon? Where did I say my stuff is taken away? And where did I say I was ok with it?
Also how could I own a beacon if I don’t have to craft it? (excluding the beacon we might be gifted when starting the game) You do see the fail in your logic, right?

To make it clear if you misunderstood me.
The question was: What is the difference between being raided by random people when you quit or having your stuff taken by the guild you rented your beacon from.
The answer is: The former raids my beacon, my personal beacon, the beacon I own. The latter not. The latter only takes the stuff I have in a beacon that doesn’t belong to me. So it’s my own fault for leaving the stuff there.

And before you come with the argument: But it would be your own fault too if you leave the stuff in your personal beacon and it gets raided. It would but we don’t really have a place to put everything. Vastars bank has the same problem as a rented beacon so that doesn’t work either for you. So where do I put my stuff?
And how do you justify that I have to tear down my house in fear of griefers, yes I call that griefing, if I quit for a year although my beacon is in nomansland? Even though there are solutions for all the problems permanent beacons could cause.

But you say that this guild is known. So why should a sane person have valuable stuff inside of a beacon of said guild?

I don’t underestimate how the scenario would play out. I’m just saying that the “you have to plan ahead” argument can also be used for planning a city instead of planning your absence.

1 Like

This is pretty off-Topic so here just the short answer:
Lack of available alternatives and economical power.

I won´t tolerate any unjustified defamation of Vastars 'Oort Vacation Storage Vault’™.
Please refrain from posting any assumptions on the quality of my guilds service.
:wink:

1 Like

I don’t know about the size of EvEs universe but isn’t that also very big? I can’t imagine how there couldn’t be an alternative. But yea semi off topic. (semi because it might help us understand what could happen in Boundless)

No assumptions just treating all guilds the same way^^ As others said. Trust isn’t easy to aquire. Especially on the internet.

1 Like

I quite like this idea.

3 Likes

It’s NOT clear how much progress is really stored in your buildings and / or chests. It is speculative that building is a big part of the end-game which i don’t think it is. Your items might include a lot of time to create too but …
Remember that everything will break. If you store items they are in fact a “time storage” (they time you needed to create them and collect the resources). In other MMOs you spend an increasingly amount of time making items that you keep forever or trade. But in B< you can’t keep it forever therefore the amount of “progression” stored in items is limited. If your mighty sword of doom breaks after 20h of gametime it’s “lost”. If your backup chest is looted because you’ve been offline for 3-6 months it’s “lost”. In both cases you need to create a new one. I don’t see this as problem … B< is a perishable universe and everything you do only maintains the status quo. Therefore your argumentation that it’s equal to lose your bank in WoW is false because WoW Items don’t break.

That’s life. You can’t save everything forever. Sometimes it’s better to let things go (always wanted to use such a lame sentence in a discussion :smiley: ). B2T you can save the most worthy items which you’d need to restart after a long time. I think that’s “fair”.

Why should i want this ? As @Clexarews said i’d build a pure asthetic building in the town and my own home somewhere else. If i’m the master of swordmaking in B< why should i go to someone ? I’m the master and others come to me (that’s just how it is, too).

I understood your post this way [maybe @Clexarews too]: "The guild manages the city (the beacons in the city) and if you join the guild they’ll add you as collaborator to existing beacons. In this case all beacons belong to the guild and are not created by yourself (you are only a collaborator)

This assumes that only guilds (or mostly guild) build cities. But i think this won’t be the case. I think most of the time random people would start building next to eachother (there are enough economical reasons). If this is unmanaged inactive beacons become a problem. I saw this on my first home-world “Civini” where i and @Saint_X started our first builds. A few days after we started there were a lot of other people around us blocking our expension places … they left the game after some days / weeks and we didn’t saw them ever again but the space was blocked and we weren’t able to expand and tha was one of the main reasons why we started a second project on Selta (we lost everything because we don’t hat the space to expand). This might be a weak argument because it’s from a time where building was 100% of B< but we don’t know if we can replace our mechines. If they are fixed once they are placed it would be the same outcome.

Select the most worthy items to restart … sell the rest for coins … let it go (minimalistic approach).

3 Likes

Yes, but that’s not what I asked. I’m not asking for fuel for this argument. I was just curious. What is the total carrying capacity for, say, wood, for each game?

Oh. You guys use banks to show your progress? I hardly touch my banks on AAA MMORPGs. I usually track progress through equipment sets, talents, skills, currencies, reputations, etc. In Boundless the physical items will matter even less because you can just walk out, punch a tree, craft a new pick from that, and progress relatively quickly through the tool materials to get back to where you were. Whereas in WoW, losing your characters gear (which I would tie to progress more than a bank) is going to take weeks to months to recover.[quote=“KuroKuma, post:248, topic:4285”]
Things in a guild chest are not safe either so they don’t count.
[/quote]

Do you know of a devlog post talking about guild beacons and guild chests? I haven’t seen one. We can’t assume guild beacons and player beacons will follow the same rules.

So you’re agreeing that skills, coins, etc. won’t be stored or protected by beacons. So the only thing to worry about are the blocks placed in the beacon and the items put in containers protected by the beacons. Not trivializing those things. Just trying to agree that this is what we’re talking about here.

Why, yes, you would. Thanks for agreeing with my point here.

Why yes, I suppose so. But that’s not the only setup possible in Boundless ;P. Time will tell, but I doubt it’s even the most popular setup.

The assumption was made within the confines of my particular example above. Please don’t quote me out of context.

Quite right, which is why I wasn’t using it as such. I was using it as an example of why I don’t HAVE to trust a guild/individual :wink:

I was talking about your discussion with Heurazio, linked above. So here’s the logic that’s not so fail. The discussion is about guild beacons (of which we know nothing). I’m making the assumption that guild beacons and personal beacons cannot compete for the same space. Heurazio said your stuff is taken away. You said that the point is that your own beacons won’t be raided but Heurazio said the guild could take away your stuff. See my logic now? Not so fail?

This is exactly why Heurazio and I said we don’t have to trust people. Thanks for agreeing with me again.

3 Likes

If you make an item then you make progression. If you use that item until it breaks (assuming they in fact eventually break) then you use that progression to make more progression or enjoy the game. But if your item gets stolen then that progression is lost.

So we can even directly make the analogy of progress being like a bank. And the raiding of your beacon being a bank robbery.
No need for a comparison to other games.

Also if you’re gear breaks then you need to have backup. And where do you store that? Right in your base. So if you quit for several months with low durability on your gear and your beacon is raided, then you won’t have enough durability to do anything useful and end up basically naked.
And since the argument:“You should have planned that.” works in both directions we can quite comfortably exclude it from this discussion because it doesn’t contribute anything.

This is not even an argument. That’s life? Really? NO, it’s not. That’s Boundless. And we’re not confined by the rules of life. And we don’t have to repeat the mistakes life does all the time here too.

If that’s how it is then you don’t have a problem right? because the whole premise was that you want to build something inside of a guild controlled beacon.

This is one way of doing it, albeit being a tedious one.
I would do it the following way being a guild: Beacon the area where you want to build a town. Start building the essential buildings for your guild. If someone else wants to build a house in your town then he can do that by paying rent to the guild. Without having to join a guild or any more obligations than paying rent.
That way the guild has control over the town but people can still inhabit it.

This assumes that we have two systems to compare. One where my personal beacon can be raided and one where my stuff can only be taken if I build in another beacon or entirely without a beacon.

But yes I assume big cities which are planned out are built mainly by guilds. Which makes sense because random settlements are rarely planned.
If you join a settlement that consists of random beacons then you know what you’re doing. And if you start such a settlement then it’s your own fault that you didn’t plan it out or build with people you know. Surely you can join such a settlement but if there is noone that organizes it then it won’t be more than that forever.

But that’s not how it should be if there are better solutions.[quote=“Clexarews, post:253, topic:4285”]
Yes, but that’s not what I asked. I’m not asking for fuel for this argument. I was just curious. What is the total carrying capacity for, say, wood, for each game?
[/quote]

Minecraft: most blocks: 64 blocks per stack, some items for balance reasons 16 or 32 items per stack and everything with a healthbar like tools is unstackable.

Boundless: seems like the same system except the maximum stack size is 99.

If that’s the case then the economy won’t have any chance of being relevant in the slightest.

Well then scrap the whole guild chest argument. Either way not an argument.

Blocks placed (this includes machines, statues everything physically placed), arrangement of the blocks (good looking builds) and stuff in containers yes.

yes you would but the chances are almost 0 because of game external contacts.[quote=“Clexarews, post:253, topic:4285”]
The assumption was made within the confines of my particular example above. Please don’t quote me out of context.
[/quote]

After rereading what you wrote I understand now what you meant. But now that I understand it I don’t see how it contributes to the discussion.

I see no logic at all. First of all the fail in his logic was that assumed that I wouldn’t have to craft my own beacon but one sentence later asks me if I’m ok with this (my stuff being taken) as long as a beacon owned by me isn’t affected. Which means I would have to craft a beacon (excluding ones we might get when starting). Which contradicts his first statement.
That’s a logical error.

Also the question from Heurazio was what’s the difference between vanishing beacons and lootable chests. Albeit not really good formulated you can see what he wanted to ask implicitly (correct me if I’m wrong). He wanted to ask: What’s the difference between your beacon vanishing and people raiding it or people taking your stuff because it’s not your beacon to begin with.
And the answer is simple. My beacon can’t be raided. Because beacons won’t disappear. That’s logic.

I’ve never said you’d have to trust people (in general) but you HAVE to trust people (concretely guilds in this case) when you want to build inside of their beacons. Because it’s their beacons and they could technically screw you over. So trust is the only way of dealing with that.

2 Likes

Does it? How does one plan for life? By that I mean, if beacons and permanent and I live with a group of friends and we all place beacons together (individual, not guild) and a tsunami comes through where one of them lives and they lose their computer, how do I plan ahead for that?

I may have missed something during my temporary absence from this thread. Could you link a quote where one of us said the whole premise for our argument is that we want to build inside guild controlled beacon spaces? I don’t remember making that argument personally.

@Heurazio (here) and @Smoothy (here) pretty much sum up my arguments.

You’re making more assumptions about guild beacons, how many plots they give you, etc. We can’t assume a guild with 100 players has enough beacon space for all of them to build houses using guild controlled plots.

Again, not what I asked. I’ll link what I asked below:

AKA: If I filled each inventory space up with the same amount of wood, what would the total be? I’ll dig into this an and answer it myself.

Minecraft: 2304. Boundless: 3465. Yes, I agree there are different items. I agree that not all items may stack to 99. Just saying is all.

I don’t recall saying it’ll be a good pick. But it’s much easier to go from naked → SOMETHING in Boundless than it would be to go from naked → SOMETHING in WoW/ESO/GW2. Much.[quote=“KuroKuma, post:254, topic:4285”]
Well then scrap the whole guild chest argument. Either way not an argument.
[/quote]

You’re the one bringing guild containers and beacons into this. I’m fine not talking about things we have 0 knowledge about.

A big assumption. The only people you play Boundless with are people you know irl who play it? I think the settlements near each of the C++ portals is a pretty easy counterexample to this.

It was in response to you saying that you HAVE to trust a guild. Below. Maybe I took it out of context. It was just something I strongly disagreed with and wanted to talk about.[quote=“KuroKuma, post:254, topic:4285”]
I see no logic at all. First of all the fail in his logic was that assumed that I wouldn’t have to craft my own beacon but one sentence later asks me if I’m ok with this (my stuff being taken) as long as a beacon owned by me isn’t affected. Which means I would have to craft a beacon (excluding ones we might get when starting). Which contradicts his first statement.That’s a logical error.
[/quote]

You may want to reread this post by @Heurazio, in which he responds to your below scenario.

I believe he’s asking what the difference is between non-permanent beacons with regen/other players taking your loot when you’ve been gone for 3 months versus a guild looting your chests and kicking you when you’ve been gone for 3 months.

If there’s a guild beacon, presumably there won’t be a player beacon protecting the SAME blocks. That’s the first assumption cleared. He then asks if you’d be ok with your stuff being taken BY THE GUILD as long as the GUILD BEACON is protecting it. Which, since it’s a GUILD BEACON, means you don’t have to craft the beacon. No logical errors. He’s asking if you’re ok with, in your scenario, guilds taking your stuff after 3 months, but not world regen/others taking your stuff after 3 months (where time is an example and not a concrete necessity for his question).

You’ve already suggested that leaving stuff in a guild beacon that you don’t want others to take and then having that stuff taken would be your own fault. Trust is NOT the only way of dealing with occupying a guild-owned beacon space. See below for, again, how I plan to do it:

1 Like

As far as I am aware, all tools and weapons will wear out, so it’s not so easy to track status by these methods in B<.

Having a sizeable machine shop where you are able to do a lot of crafting however, that kind of signifies to me that a person has status in their craft. It’s a fixed object, logically within a beacon, not something you carry around with you. I also understand that machines will require a power source, and up to 4 components to make a complete machine. I don’t think these will be all that easy to craft. I can see a slight parallel to your “weeks to months” argument here depending on how much machinery you have managed to build.

Sorry to use your post @Clexarews , I just needed context for a counter argument and yours was closest :wink:

With regards to people saying “if you know you’re going to be away for a prolonged period of time, you should plan ahead or suffer the consequences” … what happens if you didn’t plan to be away for a prolonged period of time, but something outside of your control happens where you just are “away”. You could argue that these occurrences may be a minority… but they will happen. You’re effectively saying it’s ok to ostracise these people.

Ok - with those out of the way - here’s a further idea (derived from a cluster of the existing ideas), which may satisfy a bigger group of peoples desires and solve some of the other issues…

• Beacons do expire … hear me out, there’s more :wink:
  • Beacons expire after 3 months - standard - no more, no less.
  • You only need to login to refresh all your beacons (I don’t see any point in wasting time with a pointless game mechanic which only satisfies the hardcore immersion types - and I’m all about accessibility for the majority of players. More players, no matter how frequent, means more opportunities to trade / make friends / make alliances / have fun with, in my opinion).
  • At 2 months, owners of stagnant beacons get notified that their beacon will expire in 1 month, and they need to login to refresh it before the time is up.
  • At 2.5 months, the game takes a note of every item contained within that persons beacon and saves it to a data store (and I mean every item … excess dirt and all).
  • Still at 2.5 months, the number of items in containers and plinths (and any other storage medium) are programmatically, randomly reduced by 50%.
  • Again, still at 2.5 months, world regen kicks in, within the beacon - as though the area is a non-frequented area (regardless of who or what else if around it or how often).
  • Finally at 2.5 months (or at least just before), player receives another warning email to say that their beacons will begin to deteriorate unless they log back in to save them.
  • At 2.75 months, a further 50% of the remaining container/plinths items are programmatically removed … if the container/plinth has not already been claimed back by world regen.
  • At 3 months, after several emails to the player, the beacon is removed … anything not claimed back by world regen is then pillagable - woah, there’s your explorable ruins (and not someones grand palace that just had it’s doors thrown wide open with a sign that says “Take everything I ever had now!”.

… but wait, I hear you say, how does that benefit the player that didn’t maintain their beacon for whatever reason? Well, I’m not finished… remember back when I said the game takes a note of everything in your beacons? Well, let’s take it a couple of steps back…

• Between 2.5 and 3 months, the plaers beacon is in a state of closed regen ( or decay if you prrefer). The player can come back at any point during this process to rescue their beacon.
  • If they come back during this time, they will be presented with a choice…
    • If they like where they are located, they can choose continue with their beacon, but will need to consider the state of decay and what is left for them - saved items from previously are then lost.
    • Alternatively, they can opt to turn their beacons over to the central guild so that it can complete the remainder of the closed regen process - and all of their “saved” items can be recovered when they next place a beacon down. their old beacon area is back up for use as per normal - after looters (I mean adventurers!) have picked it clean of course!
    • Recovered items will at first occupy any space available within saved containers/plinths which can be placed immediately. Anything not able to be contained within an existing container will need to have one built for it within 2 weeks before it is lost forever (The Central Guild investment storage service is unforgiving of those that do not recover their items quickly).
  • After 3 months, the now homeless player can log back in at any time and retrieve all of their items when placing a beacon for the first time, as described above.

I think this satisfies some of the requirements that have been discussed in this thread - with the exception of beacon fuel (which as you know I am against whole-heartedly - no matter how easy/trivial fuel is too obtain).
The other exception is the very valid one Zouls raised regarding the nice little easter eggs that people build in the hopes that someone will find them someday. I don’t have a solution for that, short of making beacons permanent forever, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

That’s fine. It’s an excellent point to why we shouldn’t be comparing progression in Boundless to progression in AAA MMORPGs.

I’d argue this only applies (as far as we know) to crafters though. Building, gathering, mining, exploration, etc. progression don’t seem reliant upon machines. If crafters join guilds, presumably the guild would offer some guild-beaconed machines for public use. (I’d expect most guilds to do this if machines are really that difficult to obtain). Yes, this makes crafting/gathering hermits have to join guilds after coming back to find their beaconed-claim gone. But it’s a quick and easy solution and only has to be short-term until they’re back on their feet. By no means the only solution either. Just putting it out there is all.

Many games have exp weekends. Limited time promotions. Holiday events. Expansion events. Weekend events. People who are suffering from “life happens” during this time in ALL OTHER GAMES are also NOT ABLE to access these opportunities. Boundless shouldn’t be trying to protect everyone from everything. That’d be impossible. I agree that we should try to make the game more accessible to more people, including those who are playing it.

@Havok40k made a really good point that if this were to happen to his C++ build he’d have 1000s of stone in this database storage. Plus they may gain access, on some worlds, to rare resources hidden underneath their builds (for a random example, diamonds under a cave build) that they didn’t work for. I would call this unfair.

I work in QA. It’s my job to break things and exploit them. So my response, if your suggestion was implemented, would be to work with friends to gain access to multiple accounts (easy with backers getting multiple invites). Use valuable blocks as decorations in those dummy account’s beacons. Wait three months. come back with my main account to harvest the stuff left behind. Log in with the dummy account to place the data store. I’ve just doubled my valuable items. Do this again for the next three months. Quadrupled. And so on.

1 Like

Since this comment this forum has stopped to be a byte and now is an int32 (it wasn’t a ubyte i want to believe) :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

First of all this quotes become far too long … i start enumerate my answers for better readability.

1: No need to explain yourself again and again. i’ve understood your argument but i just disagree with you. Even if your item (i’m sure they won’t break all at the same time) is at a minimum no one will prevent you from going 1 or 2 worlds back and continue at a level where you are able to compete. Why should you be able to return at the exact same state as you left the game ? Maybe the game changed and you need to learn the “new rules”. Maybe you lost your skill and even with the best equipment you can’t compete … therefore training in lower worlds would be better. I just don’t see this as a problem or a lost for me. Most important for me is, that i keep my character. I think the skills my character collected and the knowledge about basic functions and machines is far more worthy than the few items i stored in the beacon …

2: The second part is the important part in this arguemnt. Don’t bind yourself to strong on items. Back in the old times i played a lot of TES. I collected everything i got in my hands and i started to build buldings of books on the marctplace. This is not usefull or nice to look at … If you can’t save your last pile of dirty where is the problem ? You can collect all the worthy items. Store them into your inventory (30 slots are sufficient) and sell the rest for coins (you can also by other items for the coins that you’d need for your restart).

3: That’s not correct. Your premise was that cities will be controled by guilds who manage them but i don’t think that this will be the normal situation (i disagree with the premise you lay down). I think that most cities will grow “naturally” instead of beein build on the drawing board. The seed nucleus of the city might be a guild or maybe just a few friends starting a project but there will always be “natural” growth around the city (you can’t forbid others to settle next to you). But if there is space available in the core because one of the friends left the game why not use this space ? (and plz don’t start with “but if you know he leaves the game, why did you not gave the space to his friends” but maybe all had an accident … hard but possible …).

4: For clarity … do you mean that he will be added as collaborator to the beacons he rents or will he place his own beacons after he starts paying rent ? If it’s the second than this is one of the main problems. This will work as long as the player is active. If he stops playing he won’t longer pay rent. But if it’s his beacon how can the guild remove it ? The can’t! And the building will remain in the city. The owner won’t pay the rent and no one else can take the spot. Back to the beginning of ghost towns.

5: From the last dev posts i assume that chests are only useable for collaborators. This would be the easiest way for access rights. If you are able to build in the beacon, you are able to loot the chests. This is also a obvious approach beacuse you can build your own vault without any problems and share items in other plots with other collaborators.

6: Of course i know what i did and i’m sure this will happen again. But if the abandoned beacons will vanish i don’t need to fear a ghost town next to me beacuse i can take the space. Even the guild city can not “plan” or avoid a random settlement next to it. That’s why this whole “guild city” topic adds nothing to the problem (it’s just an other layer of abstraction for cities that adds a lot more of problems).

7: I don’t accapt your suggestion as “better solutions” i see them just as “other solutions”.

8: I disagree on that. You need items to raid titans or collect items so items (over all) have a high value. But one single item will break a some point in time therefore the item itself is nearly worthless. But what is really worthy is your supply chain. You need a miner, a blacksmith, a magican and so on just to have the items and the equipment to raid titans (assuming you are a warrior). If you leave the game and come back much later you don’t longer have the supply chain and you need to look for alternatives. Furthermore it’s meaningless for the long run if you have “99 x steel swords” left because as long as you can’t find re-supply you can’t compete at that level alone anyway.

9: The logical error are different assumptions when we talking about this topic. Please explain your “Guild city” idea in more than 2 sentences (maybe i can agree than). As you see i thought that you mean to add players as collaborators to a city. After this part of your reply i’m not sure how you want to manage it anyway. Do you really want a “rent” system ingame ? Where is your spirit gone not to do the same “mistakes” as life ?:

10: That’s avoiding the problem. You don’t offer solutions (they hurt sometime) you offer another layer of abstraction (guild cities) which won’t solve the problem. You call this “people raiding your beacon” argument a lot of times but who will “raid” your beacon ? It’s not that this is PvP and a group of players tries to gang-rape you on the markt place. It’s just that you lose your beacon after a long time of inactivity (which is in my opinion accaptable). If someone leaves the game for more than 6 months he will most likely never come back (at least i never did). As i said above, if you come back you can also search for ghost cities and pick up items.

EDIT: A big thanks @Clexarews :thumbsup: you summed up and understood all my thoughts on this and you were able to explain them in a much better way / english than i’d be able too.

2 Likes

I guess you could do it based on placed blocks - i.e. any block that the world regen would generally determine is not a “start of the world” block.

Although saying that, I do see a parallel between this and people looting others players expired beacons … they wouldn’t have worked for the things they find other than just turning up.

Yup, valid point taken … some fine tuning required with regen timelines then - either that or only allow the option of retrieving all items in the final 2 weeks (after a full 2 weeks of regen in the beaconed area). 2.5 months to 2.75 would only allow you to retrieve stored items and their respective containers. There would be fine tuning and balancing sure, but I think a solution could be worked out where the potential to exploit could be negated.

Additionally your stagnant account would need to have additional beacon plots for it to be an exponential increase. Not saying your statement is invalid, as it is valid - it just has some additional bounds and considerations which were not mentioned :wink:

Also, the beaconed area would have had a full 2 weeks regen in the time up to the 3 month mark, so you wouldn’t really double your haul, depending on regen speed, it could only be an additional 10-20% the original amount if you’re lucky. I guess the effort involved would be entirely dependent on what the decay rate is and the value of the item you would be trying to exploit really.

Not in the short-term.

I place 1 X block. 3 months, harvest as main/paste as dud acct. 2 blocks. Place 2 blocks. Repeat. 4 blocks. Place 4. Repeat. 8 blocks.

One plot has room for 512 blocks, right?

Now if you fill up those 512, then yes, you’d need more plots (also easy with backer perks).

Not necessarily…

You’d have to place any blocks it in such a way that they don’t get wiped in the regen phase.