Being Able to Change Skill Sheet in Beacons You Own and Have Permissions To

Nani! Tool & Forge. 2x2 portal. Portal Seekers, Biitula.

1 Like

I can see a nice red castle with 2 great swords!! Cool stuff :sunglasses:

I might meet you there sometime when we happen to be online the same time.

I am on now.

Destroying an abandoned beacon. Be right there.

didnt see any players icons so I thought u not online

got lost inside the red castle - seems to be Luckyā€™s place?

On Tana. Coming

1 Like

I donā€™t see this being a problem if we treat it similar to placing water and lava in a beacon. For example, when you place a new beacon you have to wait an hour to place liquids. If the timer to change skills was say a day on a new beacon or upon receiving permissions that would prevent people from just plopping a beacon down just to change skills. The only drawback i can think of is it would encourage people to put beacons down in more places in the wild, causing more plot issues.

2 Likes

I had no idea about the liquids and new Beacons rule.

Yup it was implemented that way to prevent griefing

Oh I see. Pretty interesting.

New player here, I wasnā€™t aware of that skill page changing restriction. Iā€™m surprised we can have such limits in a builder, sandbox like game. I dont see the point game design wise to do such restrictions beside artificially raising player playtime. Choices in the tree are good and incentive to reroll (and/or use skill pages) so restricting skill page switch with a cooldown is just limiting in how and what we can do in gameā€¦ Imho there shouldnt have any restriction in beacons you have building rights into, especially in beacons owned by the player who arent the ā€œhomeā€ beacon.

1 Like

I feel that would break the whole MMO, level up, grind part of the game. This game has to have these limitations or challenges to continue to keep it feel rewarding to some. Otherwise if more and more gets reduced or barriers get removed, we all might as well just play in a creative mode.

So being able to change skill sheets is equivalent to having infinite of every resource in the game?

1 Like

I think theyā€™re more referring to the removal of the MMO part, leaving just the sandbox

Theyā€™re just trying to use the slippery slope fallacy to invalidate someone elseā€™s point.

2 Likes

I may not have been as clear as I thought while writing that. What I was focused on was the part of just removing skill sheets entirely and letting more points be put onto one sheet instead. I actually like that we have skill sheets and limitations or current caps to things. Being able to change your sheet at your home beacon without cooldown period is a great idea. However, Iā€™d suggest if that ever happens theyā€™d also have to add code to the beacon that prevents players abusing that by placing a beacon down anywhere, anytime, making it their home beacon and swapping sheets without cool down. Theyā€™d have to have checks in place that allowed for the cool down to be removed such as was this home beacon just placed? Is this in the same land location, same planet? If no/cool down remains, if yes/remove cool down. And beacons that remain as a home beacon for specific time duration get the cool down removed. Put a bit more logic into that beacon, but it could be of use if people have the real needs to swap sheets at their home base.

Sorry for writing so much but, my head is nuts with details. I enjoy the games current challenges or the rewarding feeling you can achieve by putting in the time, the effort, the grind. But thatā€™s just me. I just felt that if we removed or reduced the challenges that come with MMOs, it becomes more like a creative mode and that takes away the point of it.

Also reducing it to one page but allowing for a character to be everything takes away from the need to have players focus or be ā€œdedicatedā€ builds. That then removes the need for factions, or groups that specifically go out and mine, build, craft, hunt, buy/sell and so on. Itā€™s just a large overhaul when you look at what it would affect.

I will have to disagree. You still have to level up to get the points to invest in a single skill tree just like you do now using multiple skill sets or multiple alts/characters. You still have to grind to get the materials or craft or build, you just do it using one skill set versus maybe two. As far as the MMO, if the game has a persistent universe and players sharing the same universe, I am not sure how a single larger skill set affects this, but I might be missing something.

If players are already doing this (switching characters, or skill sets) then I fail to understand why just allowing a single skill set to not be limited affects the gameplay in a negative way. As an example, if I can already do five things using my five skills sets then how does being able to do 5 things using one skill set change the game other than the time sink currently in place that might force me to go back to my home beacon the change skill sets, or sit and wait 15 minutes to be able to change skill sets?

I understand the point you are making, but since I have alts or skill sets to let me do anything already, then by your argument the need for the factions or groups is already unnecessary. I think the game is better if players are selecting for themselves what they do and do not want to do versus making the game do it for them. As an example just because I get the skills to forge, does not mean I will forge. That is a mechanic I do not like for many reasons that do not matter here. For that reason, if I want forged tools I will have to depend on others to get them, so the need exists even if I can do it myself. Same with hunting or mining. I constantly see calls for people to provide others with basic materials, like bone, stone or timber. While anyone can go get these items, some players may choose not to because they do not have the time or do not enjoy the mechanic to get them themselves. The game is not limiting the players, the players are making decisions on what they do and do not want to do and they can group together to find others that may like the activities they do not and wok cooperatively. That is what my personal experience has been.

3 Likes

Unsure if this is referring to my earlier comment. But if so, Iā€™m not trying anything, but I am bringing up what I believe to be an important factor behind why we have multiple sheets in the first place. And Iā€™m also not trying to ā€œinvalidateā€ here, as I suggested when and if we get the creative mode option released, maybe theyā€™d enjoy it more in that mode? Also itā€™s not a fallacy if its true, Iā€™m just sharing counter points to this ideaā€¦no harm there.

I guess I feel that what I believe they push for is that community and the groups of people that help one another. I was suggesting the pages remain the way they are because Iā€™m seeing (I can certainly be wrong here) that if players have it all on one page, they can do anything and everything for themselves which is cool, but I worry that then many players will just solo, or focus on themselves only because they wouldnā€™t require that one player who enjoys hunting, that other player who specializes in farming and then making brews and pies to sell or trade, the miner groups that provide much of the basic needs for their individual clans and such. Guess itā€™s more of a worry that many would lose the need to help or get help in various ways from others and I see it affecting player support, markets potentially.