Better connections between planets and cities

impossible hubs are always flawed
they just one big moebius lol
i wish more people just focus on investing there oort in portals to lead people around there towns
instead off the worlds
things like ultima world hub is nice to reach a planet
but then when ya there our any other big hub you have hundred off named portals you dont know what our where they go our do
so many people just get them all cramped onto this small center place to max out footfall
and then run them like a machine they need maintain
no custom frames no personaisation
i know someh ubs are themed but
nothing individual
when i ran hubs in beta i used to focus on the people and let them customize the portals to match there builds our used a icon system to mark wheter it was shop contained places to live by if it was something to wurth seeing artwise etc

those massive hubs with door after door with random name i find awfull and useless
it would take someone real smart and creative to create a good hub
for starters not going for as much as possible but being real selective would help alot
let the towns handle the shops and builds portals
let the big hubs just connect to towns 1 per town
eliminate double connections
would be so nice if i could go to a planet and then there are only 3portals
1leads to all shops 1 leads to a hub with one portal for each town 1leads to all people who love to be in one huge cluster lolz
one thing is sure to do it wright you need tons off research and then a test day where you invite me if i dont get lost you won :joy:

people gonna say is not for footfall but they lying when i ran hubs i made millions and fast
in sunkentown we now put all our coin in fuel and just connect to the 3big networks and the rest goes into our metro running aroundf town so villager can portal fast to world hubs without needing to invest coin then all our shops are around the hub so those dont need portals either just when shopowner wishes
is even anoying that one off the networks is located on other location then our maincenter cuase they needed to own it hmm might talk to them giving ff but not the land could solve it
but im done with hubs forever been there done that lol
its a cant please all problem
alot would be solved if the portals could be owned like a plot when a person fuels them and then ff for usage is added and it goes to the fueler instant

1 Like

The biggest problem is there isn’t a “micro blocks” system to allow for detailed frames in smaller spaces.

Nobody wants to walk twice or three times as far to get to a portal, just do portals can have nicer frames.

So there isn’t much we can do within the confines of what the devs give us as tools.

could dividing a hub in multiple locations not work
kinda like a piramid design
you start on top select direction and keep getting more choises

It would be easier if you could warp to the location itself.

you know like one portal with a menu like sanctum listing all your shops in your mall
and then in the shops return portals

something like that then?

our when you find shop in that pricelist shop thing you can grab location marker and use it on a location marker portal lol
i know devs prefer less portals for server

3 Likes

Damn moebster is good.
Although half was jibberish bit i still get it

Edit. Someone has to so it lol

omg plaza trampoline
i miss the plaza alot lol
hey @Buugi found the icon system aswell with the defualt bunny sign
pre emoticon for surez loool
what a job making those
also notice the colorcoded portals
and the icons had info when you clicked on them

mining network portals done wright lol
@Dunedragon

Dunedragon and Moebs pro mining corporation (stop being confuzed use this :) )

gleam is found under a single block metamorphic grave hahaha
gleam use to be recycled dead people :joy:
hey @RedY3 funny how everybody complained abut red gleam instead off exploring art district to find 13 locations to mine them hahahaah

3 Likes

Yes because telling you the best portal route is way more complex they would need to develop a path finder system that refreshes constantly.
But giving you a token it’s easier even if the shop beacon has warping disabled the warp could bump you to the nearest safe location.

Where is this giant beast?

2 Likes

Short of memorizing the hubs everywhere, and staying up to date on which portals are active, there really isn’t a system for looking up how to get around, is there? Even if people go through the painstaking task of collecting all the hub information and post it on the internet, it’s always changing so fast. I’ve seen some inventive beacon naming for trading items, such as naming your beacon where gleambow totems are sold “3x3 speed Loot Magnet.” Naturally, in that particular example you can only sell that one item, but it was effective for the event. It might be useful if we could have short beacon notes that other players could see through the knowledge database. For example Beacon X, accessible via Y or Z portal hubs. I suppose that data will get outdated as well occasionally. But for the time being, naming your beacon–especially for stores-- something relevant to the location is very useful.

True, I got my information in the wrong place. I see it’s more half that.

I also try to do this with my shop. I split my shop in individual beacons, and each beacon sells something specific, like T6 Dura hammers, T1 / T2 farms, etc. And I also have the way to get there. Even so, I got messages that I should open a portal at that hub, or another hub, and so on. I don’t have such a big shop at my base to need 3-4 hub connections, the oort cost would be to heigh unfortunately, so even so, with the location in the name, ppl give up comming the second time, they just mark the shop (in theyr heads) as a NOPE.

1 Like

The crux of it is that the infrastructure is already there. Both PS and TNT support city-portals per planet hub.

The issue is that the cities need to link up to the hubs. It’s the city/settlement owners responsibility :slight_smile:

6 Likes

When i walk around the hub… im always like mmmm maybe i should set up a data base.
Where i make a groundcard and fill in which portal goes to where…
It would be awesome to do that…
Yet its an heavy maintance to keep it up to date. most of Portal Seeker namechange requests are in the portal request text chanel. If i want to find something i try to search it there and hope to find it… :stuck_out_tongue: but then then the beacon name should correspont with the sign name. what most people do i hope

1 Like

TNT is already in planning stages for a solution to this problem!
It will be as easily accessible as everything else.

One jump to freedom!

5 Likes

This wouldn’t happen to be planned for a particular date in July would it? :grin:

2 Likes

No comment…

The Megahub name is trademarked :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Innovate don’t imitate

5 Likes

Yeah, I find 2/3rds or more of my time out going shopping is spent just walking through portal after portal, then after searching every portal on the portal seekers hub for that planet, choosing the closest one and grappling 700m-1.5km just to find out that they had a portal seekers portal, just on a completely different planet. Portal seekers really needs to limit their shopping hubs so that they can only go to cities/shops/player portals located on that actual planet, and potentially even that their portal should be located in the direction that the place actual is from the hub to save even more time. I’ve even been wanting to convince Ryo to link to the actual hub on our planet rather than Lamblis, but the Sochaltin hub is like half done and no one really uses it, so it’s just linking there to have us go through an extra portal to lamblis to get anywhere.

Sorry, but I’m really kind of sick of having to portal jump through dozens of unlabeled portals anytime I wanna buy something.

4 Likes

our first intention is that cities and players have portal at the planet they are from.
But for shops it might behard. We decided to give it a more central place so that people have to visit less hubs to find different shops. In this case the best way is to check which planets they can connect to with a 2x2 portal.

The shopowners pick their portal and request an name change in our discord. again try that to find the shop . Otherwishe on occasion we walk around naming the nameless portals but to be fair. We have a great maintaince team. but it isnt as big as it has been . most of us are short of checking boundless now and then, and doing our bits. yet a few still dedicated portal masters :slight_smile:

1 Like

As it turns out most of the TNT Host hubs should in most cases already have connections to other networks on the specific planet. Its just a question of looking for the section where the putt them.

Not because its a must but because connections. To make it easier for people to get to their location via several routes.

We can start adding routes on signs at portals but it will get messy and fast, or just pointless.

Portals payed/service by host are the most reliable portals to add routes but probably is unnecessary as they exactly say where they go. Like ps, ult, tiggs, guardian, and on and on.
(Add to that connections that they know of)

Portals that ar owned by others are a nightmare to keep updated in some if not most cases as owners change, locations change, portals get shut down…
To keep routes updated on these portals gets messy and asks even more paying attention to by hub owners going trough every single one and checking if it still is the same route.
(Add to that some might not want to have traffic trough their portal and only want it for personal use)

That said adding connections on the planet is a possibility and can be done but settlement change and or disappear. So to keep track we would have to either visit our “fast travel network” or just add portals to other settlements and services them adding to the Oort payload.

Its a valid point you have, but at this point more as having portals available for settlements to take is about all that can be done. In some if not most cases.

Don’t get me wrong but there are settlements out there that have no connections at all, death portals or just don’t want a portal.
And short of trying to get in touch with them or simply keep nagging them for a connection. Is in some cases a nightmare to do. As some move on or just simply ignore you.
And just planting a portal at their settlement in these cases can be a very big no no.

Again see your point and excited to see what TNT thinks up (help out if i can). But for now its a “problem” that isn’t easily solved.

2 Likes