Bitter Bean - Attempt #2

Ok today is my 2nd attempt at a sovereign. My first attempt was actually pretty amazing for the most part. I attempted to make a T6 Bitter Bean focused planet. It came out pretty good as it was in the top 10 for Bitters.

I am torn on if I really want to make a planet just for bitter beans or if I want to make a more useful planet in the sense of having a number of resources I want on a more regular basis. Right now I do need bitter beans … lots of them and I don’t see that letting up so making a chill would be ideal.

Question is would it be best to just make a planet that is more focused on a single resource versus mixing it up some? Like mostly ice biomes for bitters but throw in Olympus and or something else that would allow for gems? Or is there a good combo of Biomes that would produce a good amount of bitter beans (say like within the top 5 worlds) but also produce say something like the Tree Canopies that I could farm?

Just looking for ideas as I am going to purchase this today. Appreciate any input :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’d think that bitter beans and emerald/amethyst would play nicely together. @bucfanpaka would know better though

1 Like

I’m jaded on a T6 or a T5. Correct me if I am wrong here, but you don’t have to choose the additional biome with a T5 like you would a T6?

I prefer a T6 as I tend to hunt while gathering and the higher tiered mobs would be a plus.

If snowdrop plants are the bitter beans one, I’ve had great success with topaz planets. Tabonea (my sovereign) doesn’t have a huge % but there are three solid patches.

All of them are obviously on ice with the ice cracks and floating mountains seeming to cause the highest spawns I’ve had experimenting

@ghandymarshall I had decent luck with my first planet … I chose mostly Ice biomes and Snowy biomes but I threw in a gleam lake and Olympus. It was decent because the bitter bean (Stardrop) amount was pretty good and fairly concentrated and with Olympus it added a lot of gems in just one biome and was also very concentrated.

I think my goal though is to try and produce an ideal bitter bean planet but if I can add an additional resource without sacrificing a biome to maximize Stardrops I am all for it. Below was the previous attempt.

Alright kind of stuck on biome selection for level 6, 7 and 8. While maximizing Stardrop is the goal I don’t mind adding Island Trees for the Trumpets … @bucfanpaka or @Soju-VB anyone else that might be a planet building expert.

So far I have:

Level 4
Ice Crack

Level 5
Ice Levels
Maze
Snowy Redwoods

Level 6
Gleam Cavern
Ice Spikes
Island Trees
Fort - Not sure how this one would be.
Drains - Not sure how this one would be.
Other suggestions?

Level 7
Light Mushrooms
Circle Islands
Dagger Mountain
Other Suggestions?

Level 8
Olympus
Other Suggestions

1 Like

Don’t forget that if you get Island Trees, you can make a Sap Farm on it as well. Then you or people can get a lot of Lustrous Wood in a new color. (and loads of Sap and Bark)

Regards,

1 Like

Ulthar - T6 Chill

I achieved my goal with the sovereign and also unlocked a few new colors. The most exciting being Bright Slate gleam (Not sure why colors haven’t registered yet). Other new color was Cold Slate gravel. I will also post some screenshots of the surface and some atlas shots for the bitters and sapphire/topaz.

My goal was maxxing out the bitter bean count as much as possible and having had a bit of luck with sapphire on my previous attempt, I tried to keep Olympus in an effort to maximize Sapphire and also keep it fairly concentrated.

Results
I am very satisfied with the results. The planet ranks 1st for Stardrop Plants (bitter beans) with known listed sovereigns on boundless info. It also ranks 8th for Sapphire Seam.

Stardrop Plants

Sapphire Seam

Biome Choices

Level 4
Ice Crack

Level 5
Ice Levels
Maze
Snowy Redwoods

Level 6
Gleam Cavern
Ice Spikes
Island Trees
Fort
Flat Top

Level 7
Light Mushrooms
Circle Islands
Dagger Mountain

Level 8
Olympus

Final Thoughts
If I were to reroll this I would definitely replace Fort (while pretty cool looking). I am unsure of an ideal replacement for this, but I will test it on the next sovereign. I may replace Olympus next round also, but I am very pleased with the amount of sapphires that choosing Olympus allowed. Gleam is really spread out and having not selected gleam lake hurt that somewhat. There is gleam from the Gleam Caverns and the Light Mushrooms though, but with that it would be slow to get any large amounts.

8 Likes

My planet HONDURAS doesn’t have what I’ve heard so far are the best bitter beans yet, but there’s a bunch on the ice flats–there’s like a day left before the planet expires. In the end I don’t ather fast enough to get any dopamine out of the bitter beans on the planet I made–I have to get to Paka’s planet asap tho to learn about the Maze

Did you get those crazy square cubes of Dark Glass by chance? I sa them for the first time yesterday on the first T6 hunt I’ve ever kinna felt like hey maybe I can keep doing this without grinding my teeth flat :D. I’m on a macbook with trackpad, so maybe I’ll get suprised if I can ever figure out a controller. :D.

I’m reading the rest of this thread coz I should have before writing this

Can I come check out your planet with my axe axe?

1 Like

Great roll! :slight_smile: For lv. 5, a couple others might be Cube Hills (sapphire too some with these) and Geyser Ice. Lv. 6 is tricky, Flying Foliage might not be bad since it won’t take up too much room. At lv. 7 Grand Gorge might be ok for sapphire… but I might put in Gleam Spiral myself, just to add a nice hunting and building area.

1 Like

Are you keeping this private?

Sharing is caring lol

Z

Keeping it private for a moment … open it up in a few days once I get a small building up … every time I spawn in I’m attacked immediately so just want to prevent that from happening for others.

Any ideas on good biomes for fossils (large ideally of course) I’m In the mood to experiment

1 Like

I’m not positive on this. @bucfanpaka or @Soju-VB could probably give you more information on that one.

Good thing with fossils is it seems totally elevation and world type dependent in my experience, I haven’t noticed where a particular biome has an edge. On the types, I tried a Coal world just a bit back, and while it WAS better on the large fossils, I’m going to say use a gem world for them since you lose so much profitability overall mining with just a Coal world.

Go with either a Sapphire/Topaz or a Corrosive build on these, is my feeling. A Corrosive build though I think is the most ideal here since you’ll get both the silver and gold AND the amethyst (and maybe some emerald). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I can’t remember what planet I was at that had a Topaz mine… but it had so many tech and fossils that I was hitting them all over. I’ll double check in a few.

2 Likes

Yeah, my Topaz mine is a pretty good spot. :slight_smile: When mining for Sapphire or Topaz, try to keep yourself about 20-40 under the surface for that reason - you can go deeper and get the gems but you lose out on the good fossil area if you do! Same goes for the Umbris worlds, TONS of fossils up with the Umbris if you keep yourself high enough.

1 Like