Bomb Mining Nerf, Not all Doom and Gloom

Hello!

Just want to point out some interesting experiences I had with bomb mining post Nerf! I believe that the nerf hits the mid game the hardest, but the late game remains pretty strong.

Here are the changes to strategy:

Bombs - Instead of calculating to destroy blocks/keep resources, you calculate to keep all the blocks with a # of bomb throws leaving blocks with 1 hit.

Hammer - Nab an AOE hammer (iron will work)

Go to the planet, throw just enough bombs to damage the rocks so they are before breaking. Take out your AOE hammer, and cut through it all like butter.

Resources seem to break easier, so make sure you aim under block breaking damage.

Using this Strat, I still got plenty of diamonds, lots of coal and other resources (and now exp and blocks!) I was also able to move all my points out of bomb mining, since I didn’t need them there and use them for other gathering skills. The strat is pretty fast and feels much the same.

Remember before when you would bomb mine, all the rocks break and the resources float, in this version no floating…but you get the same resources…and it is a little bit, faster? At least for the middle area of the bomb mine. (because you dont’ need to jump and grapple to get to the high parts of the bombed area to get a resource)

It does use more bombs to do this (their durability went up, so that’s a bit of a wash) and you do need an AOE hammer to make the most of it (ideally with increased action speed)

I did notice my AOE for bombs was not as effective. I use Titanium forged bombs to get 6 radius, and it felt like I was really bombing at a 3/4 radius effectiveness…because of the limitation on how quickly I could 1 hit all the damaged blocks.

At the end game? My mining efficiency is slightly lowered. I would have gotten 50 Diamonds (my average) in the 30 minutes I was mining, and instead I got 30 (about 1 per minute).

Please note, I do not ‘gem mine’, so my numbers may be lower then what you have gathered. I gather all resources when I bomb mine and that slows me down. For PURE gem mining, I don’t doubt it is slower.

Just wanted to share my experiences and that a change in tactic has allowed me to keep pace. Still seems worth it to me, and an interesting alternative.

14 Likes

So sounds like you want to balance the radius of the bombs with your AoE Hammer speed. 7m will be a total waste. Action Speed, movement speed and maybe a silver swift hammer and you can clear a 3-4m radius area?

The question I haven’t hear an answer to is do the resources have the same HP as the rocks for the hammers or just the bombs?

Shhhh… Delete the post, when Dev finds out you found a way, they’ll do more sheningans.

9 Likes

I can make it through the radius from one side to another…and even hit the walls a bit. Just can’t also go up and down.

Of I lower the AOE will be able to probably go up a bit too. I think just a preference to stategy.

I posted this in guides :slight_smile: not looking to make a suggestion of it…just to be helpful

1 Like

next will be remove the bombs or damage to blocks.
bombs where a big mistake and this game feels like a beta game now.
the deluxe edition is 60 euro same price as a A type game like spiderman or black ops and battlefield V

just fire the guy that released this game with bombs in it

Not a fan of bomb mining.

I hope it gets removed.

1 Like

90% ppls use normal iron hammer and normal iron bombs before patch normal super fun without OP mining now who use bomb??? i reset sklil bombs is now not fun only terrible bad:(

1 Like

Seems like aoe hammer is better period. Enough power and forged hammer 1 hits anyway.

4 Likes

I’ve tested with a 3x3 aoe diamond hammer two shots normal blocks on a level 6. Since you can’t clear the space with the bombs by yourself before it heals, it’s faster to just use the hammer unless you are bringing friends. If I had two people using 3x3 aoe hammers, I could probably aoe bomb still. But the xp would be garbage and you would be splitting it between multiple people, so it’s still better to just get a good forged aoe hammer.

2 Likes

What size radius bombs did you use?

Tested and I agree with @Peyago

Max titanium bomb. You and I were talking about this on discord earlier, I’ve just tested it since then :smiley:

Gotcha. Didn’t make the connection between the avatar pics lol

I don’t disagree with this. I am thinking about mid game, when people are using AOE on maybe Iron and might not have a lot of gems to make tools out of to get more gems.

At least, that was the thought :slight_smile: hehe

2 Likes

The changes to forging mats and the resource regen is opening forging to a lot more people. It will be much easier to get decent boon on the mid range. To be fair a lot of the mid game will be completely bypassable in a few more weeks once tge markets even out.

I’ve never done forging because the materials just seemed so expensive and hard to find. Hopefully these changes to plants and such will make it possible for newbs like myself to make aoe iron hammers, as Tagris has suggested.

1 Like

I farmed resouces earlier and got enough to keep me busy with pies and weapons for the next few weeks.

Do you need power for that sort of thing? The buggest mid range barrier to me is still power generation

I honestly have no idea. I managed to save up enough to buy some adv power coils for my workbench, but if forging requires some too, we’re still boned. Cause those are going to be even more difficult to get now.

Tier 1 of forging stuff was barely viable, ever, and tier 2 (pure boon 2, etc) require power now.

Centraforge used to be a good midgame step, bridging the progression gap t3 alloys and t5 gems. It’s just that most people avoided it because it was confusing.
Now though? Far from being mid-game as it used to be (starting at t4 exploration), it is now locked behind the gem wall.