Bomb Mining Suggestion

With all these recent changes to bombs and arguments over nerf/buffing, I feel like making a suggestion. The devs stated they want to put bomb mining on par with hammer mining. As a bomb mining enthusiast, I will admit that the bombs in their current state were exponentially better than hammers for mining and would allow for incredible amounts of resources to be gathered in a short amount of time. However, with the most recent change, it makes them all but useless.

My suggestion to the devs is to just remove the ability to add the extra bomb radius in the forge. Bombs with their base radius values really don’t provide much more yield in mining than someone using a 3x3 hammer. Not only with a hammer can you now smash through 9 blocks at once, but you also get to keep everything you are hitting and with the added benefit of a much higher durability. The base radius on bombs really wasn’t netting me much more in resource values. It wasn’t until I started rolling the extra range in the forge that numbers really got silly. Being able to double the effectiveness of bombs is what really made the difference. With the forge you were able to create the atomic bombs of Boundless. Before the forge was added, hammers were just a viable even without the 3x3.

All the recent bomb changes will ultimately do is make mining boring again. It gives players options as to how they want to mine. It was also one of the things that separated boundless from other voxel gathering and building games. Most of them just require a pickaxe or hammer and repeatedly smacking blocks over and over until boredom with the grind and the game kicked in. This isn’t just a balance to mining options, this is a complete removal of all viability to use bombs in the mining aspect.

14 Likes

This is a valid suggestion.

1 Like

Good idea in principle… but don’t forget bombs were originally conceived for combat and healing. Removing the potential to increase the blast radius would also have an impact on those things too.

3 Likes

I have seen exactly 0 people using bombs for combat. On top of that, I have seen 0 people using healing bombs. Never in a hunt have I seen someone say “Oh dang, I forgot my bombs!” It’s always “Hey, can you toss me a slingbow?”

5 Likes

Add to the game by adding a new item? They could even call it something else like dynamite or some different form of oortian explosives, specifically used for the purpose of mining.

6 Likes

This is also an option. Personally, I don’t ever use bombs, as I see no absolute purpose for them. The regen / healing / damage options are kind of without a purpose, and just an alternative to waiting / potions / slingbows. I mine with a hammer, just a plain old hammer, and it works fine. However, I can see the use of them in mining as an effective alternative to clear huge tracts of land.

1 Like

we might need that in the future when titans come :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I know a few people that have expressed an interested in using bombs for healing - with the increased durability, that’s becoming more and more viable (especially in conjunction with the previous proximity/detonation changes).

I’ve also used bombs in combat - specifically forged with blast radius, poison and slow effects.

2 Likes

Well you’re one in a million, my dude. Like I said, I, personally haven’t seen anyone use them, also, you get XP for damaging and killing mobs, not for healing. So, does the healer suffer more than the constant whining from people to be healed?

1 Like

Damage monster with bomb is not very useful…
The debuff work better on bows especially for slow effect.
lvl 5 slow buff is not that slow, u can still get hit by monsters if u too close to them.
However you need to use bomb really close to them.

Build debuff effect with aoe sling bow will work better in my opinion.

Even grapple monster first and use hammer to smash them deal more damage -_-

1 Like

Saddened by the nerf stick on bomb mining. If i cant find something else as enjoyable as that I will be quitting boundless. Bit of faulse advertisement to say limitless and then they limit people with things they can do. Regardless of if this was intentional or not a lot of people find bomb mining enjoyable. An while i dont mind the occassional hammer mining, too much of it will put me to sleep!

Yes it generates more resources than standard mining but if the market is as it is, prices of bombs from everyone doing it will go up, gem value will go down and other resource gathering will look more profitable to do.

To take it away just takes a very enjoyable aspect of this game away. Ends rant

5 Likes

Sorry if this is a dumb question but what was the nerf to bomb mining? I thought that the only change I saw from the update was going to be doubling the durability of the bags. Did I miss something?

1 Like

Yes. They added something right before the update.

That was rotten. Am not rich, after struggling for a week to hammer mine diamonds with the atlas still broke on ps4, I spent 20k on bombs in anticipation of update.

Doubled the durability of Bomb Bags!
Bombs will now destroy resources at the same speed as they would destroy rocks, this means higher tier resources will not be left floating in mid-air when using bombs to mine.

I agree here, I only use bombs for mining and we should either have specific bombs for mining or make them viable again using hammers only for mining is tedious and not fun at all

I see where you are going and I agree that bombs should be more prevalent in combat, I just want to give a shout out to my boy Almund who uses a ton of healing and energy bombs for his hunting party and man does it make a huge difference.

Not at all. Using bombs you get a glance at much more surface-area in one go. Comparing high end hammers with ‘bombs’ in general is not very fair. You should, if you are going to, compare copper bombs with copper hammers.

Another idea- ice bombs. Throw ice bombs onto lava or water to freeze it over and make it walkable. Could be used while mining, crossing lava lakes on the planet surface, etc. (idk if this is already possible in game but i dont think ive seen it)

Maybe even make bombs slottable (similar to dropping ore in the atlas) drop say an ice block into bombs and it can change its use.

4 Likes

I would have been fine with buffs to other forms of mining to make them efficient as bombs.

Just get a AOE hammer. It’s not like you started bomb mining because you heard how fun it is, I’m sure you started doing it because you heard how easy it was to get resources.

All shops are going to be mass producing AOE hammers now, it’ll be close to the same thing.