Borderlands Style Loot Drops

I still hate it to trash my inventory with so many useless drops. I also wouldn’t want to have the ability to deconstruct stuff everywhere. So the problem stays.
I mean sure the way it looks now we won’t get many weapon drops if any at all. (At least if the mobs drop logical stuff) So we won’t have the problem of weapons cluttering our inventories and there might be always only one or two types of the same material. Instead of weapons that won’t stack.

Ok, what about only using the system for the truly top tier loot. That way when you defeat a titan you have your own unique piece of equipment to show off your prestige.

Hm that’s an interesting idea. And since the titan is basically a gigant dungeon you could find equipment in chests so it would be logical.
No cluttering because you’d know that lower tier equipment always has the same stats and you don’t need to check every piece?

I’m thinking if the problem really comes from the drop system or if the cause goes deeper to the stat system of the equipment itself.

Or all loot could be aesthetic only, if all items had the same stats but different appearances. It makes items less unique but more balanced. It also makes it predictable which was your main concern.

The question is whether which varient of the system fits into the game if at all.

1 Like

Randomly generated loot in an mmo is just kinda…atleast from drops, i wouldnt mind if you could craft something and you had a random chance to craft it better, but within boundaries. i really dont believe a system like borderlands would work in this game even though i love the game.

EDIT: let me phrase it better, randomization in random effects like exploding weapons and stuff i dont see fitting, but if we have something alone the lines of normal stats, in some way (str, int, dex) i wouldnt mind a min and a max value you could get for each stat for each item (±5 forexample) but Kuma also touched on something important, the idea of realistic drops, i asked the devs and the community what they would prefer and i am pretty sure i got confirmed that the drops would be realistic, but i cant quite remember how and when.

2 Likes

and kuma

I think a minimalist way of approaching a system like this that nobody would object to is by making it purely aesthetic.

However, I would argue what’s the point of completing the titan dungeon for a non builder, especially if they have done one before.

How I would implement a system with stats is the way you said plus unique stats for the type of dungeon or biome to be creative so that there isn’t a clear cut best weapon so your weapon is a preference and you have a vague idea of what you will get from a dungeon’s loot. Unique art assets for these stat effects could be created such as elemental particles to make them more unique.

I didn’t even think of that^^ That would most likely not be the way to go that’s true.

But yea as I mentioned as long as the variance is low enough I don’t really have a problem with slightly different stats for each weapon drop. If there will be weapon drops at all.

Also another point I’m not sure about is: Do we want to have gear in game that can’t be crafted?

1 Like

The other way to go about top tier loot is by recieving the best crafting materials from titans which could be used for the best items. I feel this would be less interesting and exciting.

Do you? I’d rather have to search for the materials than hope for an (unrealistic) weapon drop^^ Might also be a reason why I loved Monster Hunter that much. It would be basically that system. Maybe a bit simplified.

If there was both as a compromise?

p.s my phone is dying so i wont post for an hour or so r.i.p

I’m very reluctant to make a compromise about the realistic drops but apart from that I have no problem with a mix of some parts MH drops and some part of Borderlands drops like we discussed above.

I say no drops unless an NPC or MOB is wearing a type of armor that can be crafted in game and you can see the items on their person, so when you kill them they drop what they are wearing, then I’m all in for droppable loots, maybe a random generated currency drop between 1-20 coin value currency could be implemented as well.

1 Like

But coins should only be dropped by creatures where it makes sense. For example goblins because they love bling bling^^

1 Like

I agree that creatures such as the 2 currently implemented in game should not drop coin animals should drop meat and bone if there is any plans to add bone meal into the game.

1 Like

I like albion online’s ways of doing it. Humanoids drops coins. beasts drops skins.

2 Likes

Exactly, makes the most sense.

Maybe split the topic in two ? One about the randomness of the loot, and the other on the “roleplay-ness” of the loot ?

About roleplay-ness : it’s cool when it’s here, but tbh it’s barely noticeable. Not a priority for me.

About randomness : irritating. I love idea of weapons having different qualities/stats, but not by loot : by craft. By loot means endless grind of X or Y boss…

One approach that may be an interesting middle ground: what if the crafting materials themselves can be imbued with random effects? Those effects then carry over into crafted items

Examples:

• Maybe you get lucky and a spitter drops explosive essence that also poisons - enabling you to craft poison bomb arrows
  • Or maybe when harvesting a tree, you get a trunk that’s extra strong - when you craft a tool from it, it has extra durability
  • You could harvest stone that is laced with some sharp mineral - it would add additional damage when crafting weapons from it
  • Maybe you dig up some dirt that is contaminated with ancient Oortian industrial runoff - when you grow food in it, that food temporarily changes your appearance randomly
  • etc
1 Like