Boundless Environmentalism

It just occurred to me as I was farming peat on Till that land resources are going to be an issue unless we protect some of the features.

There is a massive spread of several chunks filled with peat near the capital of Till. As I was farming it, I began to wonder if the capital would spread far enough down the mountain with new players colonizing the land and eventually claim this awesome resource, so, I finally bought some land plots and plotted about twenty far above the peat to reserve the resource. Now, nobody will ever build on the peat resource unless I allow them and it can just keep regenerating for new players.

There are other resources to consider as well, and right now they are plentiful, but as the richer planets become more populated, surface resources can become more rare like peat, plant life, gleam, fungus, etc. Is there anyone else out there who builds to protect natural resources? I wonder how the community would react to the aggressive take over of these resources and blocking them from the public.

Today, Boundless became slightly more interesting to me.

3 Likes

Iā€™d just say to be sure to build some sort of floating structure up there so it doesnā€™t look like trolling.

2 Likes

I am not even planning to build there, really. I am hollowing out the peat inside of my plots ('cause it will not regenerate anyway) and I do not want to have trolling peat around that cannot be dug up. I am going to build a lookout tower or something to make the space look somewhat interesting instead of a carved out square in the ground there, but I am going to leave the rest of plots empty. They will just be there to reserve the land above and below so the peat stays.

Iā€™m just saying that ā€œbuyingā€ plots but not using them could look like trolling or that you are trying to keep others from building for nefarious reasons. Even a sign floating in the air that says ā€œPeat Nature Preserveā€ would be enough to let people know your intentions.

3 Likes

I do not think that would fall under trolling according to the Boundless rules. People are already beaconing random surface land to reserve mining resources underneath. The whole point of the beacon and plot system is to reserve land for your own purposes, whether it is for builds, resources, or to aggressively cut off other players trying to extend into territory you want to claim.

Arenā€™t resources infinite? Forever regrowing, planet size, and so on? Thatā€™s usually the excuse for why money is so hard to generate, and the grind is so heavy.

How is ā€˜Use peat instead of coalā€™ going to keep being used as an excuse, if peat is running out and soon never to be farmed?

If a settlement need to expand, player may ask you to unplot them. And may call the COC if you block them completely.

but I see no offense if itā€™s just standing in an open space

Yeah, they are regenerating, until somebody beacons the land they are on and builds something. This land is close to the Till capital and the capital will spread as new players filter onto the planet through the portal hub there. If the capital expands and eats the peat, then how far away is the next peat resource?

I played land-owning MMOs before. If the game staff really forces other players to give up land because another player wants it for whatever reason, that is a very poor customer service move.

1 Like

Donā€™t get me wrong, itā€™s not officially trolling as far as Iā€™m concerned. But it is polite to your neighbors to let them know you are not just squatting.

@Jirodyne

Resources donā€™t respawn if they are in a plot.

yes we have a rule for this.
Boundless is not a PVP game. Communities come first

I am going to shoot an e-mail to the game staff then. If they confirm what you are saying, I might as well stop playing the game now. I am not going to spend time on playing a building/trading game if large groups of bullies can just show up and muscle me out of my land that I have claimed fairly.

No need to email them.
I totally support your action to preserve land intact. But I just wanted to warn about these practice.

Well, i did something similar to pit near my house. Set a beacon, plotted above the peat and set a small stand with ā€œMINING AREAā€ and warring that this land will get periodically strip mined so potential settlers next to it be warned it may look ugly from time to timeā€¦

On the other hand Iā€™m not sure how well would it work in capital, cause a lot of player walking would constantly stop terrain regeneration.

Yeah, that thread says absolutely nothing about what you are saying. It is specifically pointing out hyper aggressive beacon/plot behavior that makes other beacons/plots useless (like building a wall completely around land so that it cannot spread in any direction and anybody inside of the plot cannot get out). Yes, I agree that is trolling and needs to be taken care of. That thread says NOTHING about larger settlements spreading and forcing smaller settlements to give up land. In fact, from what I am reading, if a larger settlement expands around my land completely and builds walls around me, then I can make a claim against them.

If you just plot empty space, this is not a settlement. This is empty space.
If you build a house with a large garden I see no issue.

Makes no difference. It is my land and I will do with it what I will. Unless my land is obviously trolling (as in, making the game unplayable or causing grief for another player by making the game more difficult for them to play), then too bad-so sad. Like how ridiculous is your claim that a large settlement can just expand up to a different settlement that has existed for a while and actually have game staff backing them to remove the land ownership from a player because of aesthetic rules (i.e. the land is not being used how the bigger settlement would like somebody to use the land)? It is obvious favoritism.

1 Like

I am not saying is 100% sure.
But keep in mind there is a ā€œcase by caseā€ way to counter ā€œplot floating in the airā€.

Maybe people will never bother you.
Diplomacy is king anyway. You canā€™t do anything without diplomacy.

Thatā€™s not going to happen. Unless youā€™re doing something to annoy another player your plots are your plots. You can leave them empty or not, build or not, move or not. If that beacon is fueled and youā€™re not deliberately antagonising someone, thereā€™s no way the support team would remove your plots.

1 Like

That is what I am saying. It seems like a customer service nightmare otherwise. If it happened, you might as well tell players, ā€œunless you are a member of a massive guild, consider all land ownership as temporaryā€. This is an MMO based on building and trading; rules like that would literally neuter any small guyā€™s ability to do anything.

2 Likes