Boundless Guilds

I’m trying to do a bit of research into how many people are planning to either run a guild (when the guild systems are implemented in game) or to join a guild.

If you’re planning on running your own guild, would you be (or are you already) using a guild based ‘free’ website, and if so, what sort of features would you look for from that service?

The reason I ask is that I’ve have started building one of the aforementioned guild website systems (in addition to the Boundless Crafting site) which will be tailored specifically to suit Boundless. It will effectively allow you to create an account, start or join a guild, manage guild forums, galleries, events etc. and I wanted to know what sort of uptake there would be for it (I like coding and challenging myself, so I’ll be building it regardless). Depending on how the guild system is built/managed in Boundless itself, I can tailor the site to reflect what is in game, so that it is intuitive and compliments the any in-game systems.

I already have a core system in place (although not yet live on the web), which allows you to view guilds and other players and also create an account and start a guild. If anyone is up for maybe doing some testing and would like to offer suggestions and ideas as it’s being built, you’d be more than welcome and your input would be greatly valued.

Let me know!

12 Likes

If you want to make it you should definitely make it, but while i think it would be cool to have a dedicated site like that, I think that there are so many different sites already doing this that it might just be a waste of your time :confused:

1 Like

Yep there are a few out there already, but as I mentioned, I like to challenge myself … plus I do like to be creative and make things for people to use :smile:

2 Likes

Well, there’s the basics for a site like this:

• Forum
  • News posting (blog style)
  • media gallery (but primarily used when embedded in forum/news, I suspect)
  • static pages (“about us”, “rules”, etc)
  • roster management
  • permissions management (user groups, and ability to restrict particular forums/pages)

Beyond that, you probably want to focus on integrations:

• Whatever data ends up being exposed about boundless, be it a web service, or just from game data files
  • people always love their “who’s online” (on Discord/Mumble/Vent/TeamSpeak/etc) widget
  • point tracking for the progression focused guilds (dkp, ep/gp, etc)
  • I’m wondering if having some sort of “build journal” would be useful - that might veer too far into CMS territory, though
6 Likes

@nevir pretty well nailed down the essential needs, though I would love to see some sort of quartermaster’s log to track a guild’s wealth, donations, and withdrawals a bit like the guild bank on WoW, but viewed from the web.

3 Likes

I’m hoping the devs will open up some form of api to allow for things like that, but I’m guessing the core game comes first and anything like that would purely be a bonus.

@nevir good set of info there. I’ll admit, I hadn’t thought too far beyond the basics, but that list of integrations is good stuff.

Regarding the “build journal” - what was it you had in mind for that? Some sort of advertising to say that a particular player can make a certain set of items? Or something else entirely?

Edit: I’m also thinking of adding some player details to signify preferred play styles - so people that prefer building (etc.) can be tagged as such

3 Likes

Are focusing more on guild matchmaking or guild hosting?

Re: build journal, my thought was that guilds (and individuals) will want a way of showing off what they’ve built. Having a simple format for capturing screenshots & videos of a build as it progresses (or is finished), along with some notes, might be a good format for that

Hmmm, not such a bad idea - I’d probably want to just include the ability to link/embed a YT video into the ‘my builds’ page with some surrounding text. Maybe have that on both a player and guild basis. If I allow image uploads, I’d have to put a space limit on it to begin with due to the space they would take up on the servers.

It’s a little of both really - the idea was that people could find a guild, based on their recruitment requirements, real world location, game servers etc … so a guild might be looking for new members in the same time zone that prefer building etc.

1 Like

Yeah; I think you’re going to find it hard to avoid some sort of image hosting - thankfully storage is pretty cheap nowadays (and maybe image hosting could be part of a paid plan)

1 Like

I want to probably make a “de-griefing” guild that basically just cleans up after griefs either for free or for a price to raise money for the guild itself. :smile:

4 Likes

That’s an awesome idea! I’d be interested in helping out with that; it’s a good way to get exposed to various build styles too.

Hopefully we can join multiple guilds/groups, though

Oh no, (insert victim name,)
“somebody” griefed your base! For a small fee of just 99.99, our guild will happily undo any damage! Our work is guaranteed!
Sincerly,
Not-the-guys-who-griefed-you to-begin-with.

:stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

I’m kind of against this actually. I have yet to see it work well (although to be fair I’ve only seen it attempted in ESO and GW2) and it seems like it’d become quite easy to join multiple guilds and siphon off resources to a main guild.

I’d say if you want to do something like that then you can have a workaround of having @dwarvenname run a guild that takes requests and have them hire volunteers who want to help. Allows for you guys to play the game as you want without extra dev requirements for guilds being necessary.

3 Likes

Hey, if it’s fair game in EVE… :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I wanna make a guild but dident know you need a site i dont know how to make a site :anguished:

Sure! I would love to help. :slight_smile:
Seems this is going to be interesting.

1 Like

You don’t need to know how to make a site.
Stretch just wants to make a site that complements the ingame guild feature and helps us find people/guilds that have similar interests.
Also it helps to manage a guild but it isn’t necessary.

4 Likes

I intend on starting up a guild and have used several of the preexisting sites. They work out well enough for a general info/meeting place for guildies. Sadly, they all seem to fall short on the finer details available to each specific game.

Might also consider adding an event calendar/schedule. Preferably something that can be edited depending on guild/site permissions.

2 Likes

Well my guild will be all about exploring and Reading i want it to be the center of trading and stuff the guild members will need to have one avchiments to atleast join it and it is Kill every single creature in the game cas if you Done that you have explorer tons

Ok … I’ve put the barebones of the site up … for those that want to test, please PM me with your IP address (just Google “what is my ip” and you will find it). Please don’t paste your IP address onto the forum!

The site is in maintenance mode, as it’s nowhere near production ready yet, but your IP address will allow you to bypass that and view all aspects of the site as it currently stands.

Please remember that this is a work in progress … if bits break, or it don’t work as you expect, try and give me as much information as possible as to what you were doing to make it break, so I can fix it :wink: Suggestions and comments always welcome!

Good call - I’ve added it onto the feature list!

3 Likes