Boundless is Dead. Long Live Boundless!

I’ve “de-personalized” these quotes, and decided to start a new thread, rather than post a giant tangenital rant on somebody else’s related topic. Not to try and evade any backlash, if it’s not obvious to you where this comes from - that’s not actually important. On with the topic at hand.

So it’s early morning here now. I woke up having a laugh at the fact that I got really preachy last night. Not just here, tbh. No matter. I’m a 50 year old american to be clear and I’m tired of a lot of things that have developed in the world. This is much more a symptom of things than boundless being any super important issue.

I want to be crystal clear on one thing:

Boundless already failed.

There wasn’t enough money to retain sufficient staff, and the community overall got extremely nasty for a bit. It will hurt some people to process around this but take a good honest look. Those of us still playing were hanging around waiting to see how long contracts would keep the servers running and the forums and other social channels were full of newer players asking if it was even worth getting involved with the game.

The $40 (ish, pre humble bundle) purchase price is not sufficient to support the game perpetually. Frequent sales and then thousands of “extra” keys meant that, end of the day, one of James’ biggest achievements was finding a way to keep the staff paid and the doors open - giving Boundless a potential future.

And honestly he got directly crapped on for it - not even subtly. For reasons like this. It was painful.

Now someone is taking up the mantle, saving the game. And “they” have clearly stated that they are willing and able to monetize this IP to profitable levels. Thus saving the game, but changing the overall arc of the property. I don’t know what they’re going to do yet. Clearly Monty has some personal friends/contact in the community so maybe some people do :man_shrugging:

In any case it’s going to mean the end for certain types of players. Those who are super offended at the notion that they might be asked to contribute (financially) to the survival of the game as they continue to consume it’s actual real world resources are likely to be among the first to go if an actual, viable system for monetization is introduced.

Honestly, that’s fine. Go ahead and take that personally if you wish - any of you. Boundless isn’t something that exists in a void, with someone trying to paywall a “natural resource” from you. If people would get so heavily offended and put that attitude against the groups that are literally paywalling natural resources - damn the whole world would be a better place.

The studio/owners/developers of the game will do what they need to in order to get paid, or the game will get turned off. It’s a lot of random chatter here at the forum as we don’t necessarily have any “say” in the matter and for the most part can only speculate on the direction of things - but that’s how it is and obviously these virtual spaces can become very important to people. People who then get very passionate about their particular standpoints.

This game has a daily hard cost, in real world dollars. Just to persist. There are additional costs associated with keeping it running smoothly, and further costs in order to improve or expand in any way.

Again the current playerbase has, end of the day, largely adopted this attitude. And not stopping there but going on to threaten “I’ll leave if I get a single sniff of P2W”, etc… and I hate to be maybe the first to say this to you but - that’s fine. They have to find a new player base. And it sounds like they have some ideas on how. I’m waiting to see what they are.

But brutally, end of the day - alienating a group the majority of which has said “I’ll walk if you ask me to pay anything more” is absolutely necessary for the survival of the space. Unless enough people show up who are willing to carry them financially, they need to walk away. Sad, but true.

Walking that tightrope, finding a balance to minimize losses but absolutely achieve revenue goals is the stated expertise of the new owners. I don’t know how they’re going to do it, but it’s what they have to do. This game is an ongoing service, with ongoing costs, and they need ongoing revenue. There’s ways to dress it up, but no real way around it.

With all that clearly said:

If the revival means losing some players - that’s what’s going to happen.

I don’t even honestly mind if I’m ostracized from the current community for my viewpoint on this. Because a community that refuses to support it’s own ecosystem is not something that I’m happy to be a part of. I do also speak out about these things in real life, and I do sometimes pay a social price for that. I accept it.

Wow that’s a whole side rant. There are other points to how this sort of attitude and activity impacts the community and the players.

There are hard examples from this game demonstrating that the people who enjoy digging into the game mechanics and then exploiting them are not the ones who get hurt in the fight. That’s because they’re not really here to participate - they’re here to see what they can “get out of it”.

In every case where someone has spotted a high cubit earning activity and isolated it into a repeatable loop for cubits, the game has been nerfed. And the people doing it aren’t the ones set back by the process. The people enjoying the game and operating within defined paths are the ones who get hurt over it. The ones who are seeking only advantage just move on to the next challenge. Because for them, that is the game.

People were taking, at the end, in the neighborhood of 20m XP per pie in the OG pie and table model. Who really got nerfed? New players trying to advance their characters through the early levels using the simplest “machine” in the game. Not to mention in that case it seems clear - with no input from james on this obviously - that in the resultant fray we got an extra kick for attacking the developers over it.

In the end, even after extensive analysis showed it was the pie model that was flawed, the tables got the nerf and a little extra poke in the eye, to boot. They went ahead and halved the XP - and left the full timers in place. The advanced players using late game tools to exploit early game balance moved on to find another loop, and left any newcomers holding the bag.

One of the things they discovered was plants and boulders. And suddenly a bunch of people who were not even trying to be “extra” found that the XP they were earning playing their game got taken out from under them. NGL we’re lucky they sorted a way to get some of that XP back to the “normal” players.

But again, the people looking to isolate and exploit a specific gameplay loop weren’t bothered at all. They just moved on to the next thing. Now I don’t really want to turn this into a personal feud with any of the people who suddenly want to brag about how great their achievements are - specifically in the arena of undercutting monetization - but in overall terms, this is a continuous problem.

Those of you who are enjoying playing the game as designed might consider how this affects your future gameplay. Players involved in starting to push and brag about finding these loops are also clearly stating “it’s fine with me if this causes (some aspect of gameplay) to get nerfed - I’ll move on to something else”. You might consider what you’re “oohing” and “aahing” over. We (as a community) have been politely asked, and sternly told, not to do this.

Case by case enforcement is difficult, with the game not making enough money to support continuous moderation it’s nearly impossible. That leaves us with the choice of either being supportive, or picking at the carcass until it’s gone.

There are other examples but this is already turning into a novella. Moving on…

If a bit of emergent gameplay blows up an exploitable niche and results ina direct loss of revenue to the studio - it has to be quelled. The immediate and obvious way to handle this is to break that exploitative loop. The next most obvious is to find a new stream of revenue. We’re sort of at a dead point between studios right now and the path they will choose is … not entirely obvious.

If the decision is to nerf the emergent mechanics, that’s sad but we move on.

If the decision is to nerf the exploitable portion of the core gameplay loop, that’s also sad, but it’s a lot harder to move on from. It’s been clear for a long time that people advance their characters (and thus their impact on the worlds) in various ways, and a lot of work has been done to balance that.

Boundless is still a building game. Taking the opportunities for character advancement out of building is, in my opinion, just fully game breaking. I really hope that’s not what happens here. But I guess we’re going to have to collectively wait and see. Maybe in 2 years time the current systems will be almost unrecognizable. The new studio has a different area and level of expertise at such things.

In any case, we’re going to lose some players on the way. That’s ok. It’s not only ok. It’s necessary.

I do look forward to seeing what happens here in the next 24 months. I suspect that many of you will be missed. But not missed enough to cater to you until it results in the death of the game.

Long Live Boundless!

11 Likes

This is why I posted my poll on sovereigns and unlimited plotting on those. I am looking at ways that Monumental can feasibly generate a more consistent monetary stream of income.

Monty has stated numerous times that they plan to look at ways to make things that you pay more desirable in an effort to make people purchase more of those which I would assume include Gleam Club, sovereign rentals, a more robust item shop with more cosmetics options and I would hope to see some bundles in the item shop.

I personally look forward to it. I would hope that most of this doesn’t introduce more P2W, but as I have said what is there to actually win in Boundless? To your point at @Nightstar to only target only the current community and only what that community wants in my eyes, would be a mistake. I will say something here that I may regret saying, but…

This community as great as it is just can’t support the game and I know there are quite a few that have tried to SERIOUSLY support it. If I was Monumental I’d come to a quick realization the game is a very niche game as is the whole genre. There is this common view that Minecraft did it and has millions of players and it sure does, but the problem is no other game in the crafting/building genre since Minecraft even come close to the number of players Minecraft has.

With that said, if Monumental could tap into some of the mainstream Minecraft streamers out there and maybe pick up a 1-5% of the Minecraft audience then maybe they have something, but otherwise it’s a very uphill battle. I do not envy them.

Monumental has mentioned having deep pockets, but sadly the solution to increasing the community and the player base is going to take a lot more than deep pockets.

Free 2 Play seems to be in the future. Exploring ways to increase the game’s monthly income is pretty paramount and for me I am constantly thinking of ways to monetize things in game that make sense without making it feel too P2W as much as I feel there is no winning in Boundless. To deny or be totally against Monumental introducing new monetization into the game is simply denying it’s success, because much like @Nightstar has mentioned, it failed.

On a positive note, I love this community and I’d bend over backwards for it. The community over the next 2-3 years is going to change however that may be, but I for one can’t wait to see what the future holds.

4 Likes

I also think there’s a real market for “official merch” as several people have expressed their desire for that over the years.

It’s hard to gauge the seriousness of some of the people who have made comments like “Give me a reason to spend money here” while (in some specific cases) working as hard as possible to bypass existing channels for monetization. TBH it’s hard to tell whether it’s a form of grandstanding or just a break in their analysis of cause and effect.

People who come and say “I would gladly pay for ‘X’.” are at least helping to explore solutions.

The ones who choose to go on about how offended they are at the notion of an ongoing experience having an ongoing cost are just noise. There’s a direct parallel/analogy to saying something like “I already paid to connect my electric service. Why should I have to pay to use it?!?”

Silliness.

4 Likes

Bravo to this whole novella. :clap:
I have wondered if this is a generational difference, as I am near your age and I accept that I will pay to support a game/author/content creator so they will continue making said content.

5 Likes

When people understand there is a recurring cost to run the servers and even more to pay for future development and Monumental will need to at best make enough recurring revenue to break even then they will understand the need for monetization.

There are also good and bad ways to monetize a game, but as stated the previous monetization methods failed and I will add the marketing failed miserably also.

8 Likes

One of the big issues I have seen and that Monumental is aware of is the early game.
I helped multiple people getting started in Boundless and a recurring issue is getting started.
Problems are usually:

• The many planets and portals are not well explained.
  • It is hard to navigate when you do not know portal hubs and connections. People often get lost after 1, 2 portals
  • Getting past copper is often a hurdle as you need to switch to higher tier planets
  • Many things miss tutorials and are trial and error

Improving those points will help big time keeping more players. More players also means more potential buyers of gleam club, cubits, sovereigns

I do not know actual numbers if we need additional forms of monetization or just more customers

9 Likes

@Lorgar all that is fine and the NPE issues are very much in need of work and the first thing I am sure they will address. However, the monetization is much more important for longevity.

Very true. End of the day this isn’t a question for us to answer.

However, it’s something that a lot of us are interested in, and will continue to speculate on. Kudos to everyone that takes an extra moment to try and do that in a constructive manner.

1 Like

Not a fair comparison in the firsts place, in my opinion, since only Minecraft’s single player mode is free after you bought the game. Every online option has monthly costs involved. Unless, of course, you are playing on a server someone else is paying for… Then again, many of those servers are monetized heavily with P2W stuff…

I do hope they find working ways of monetization that are optional (like character customization), but I’m already paying for gleam club (and a sov), so a monthly fee to keep the servers running would be fine by me. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I would sort of agree.

I ran many servers myself (at a cost to me) but none of the other players had a cost to play on my servers. On top of that, I have connected to thousands of servers over the years and I continue to play at times at no extra cost (other than time and internet costs) which I would have with any game.

As far as a fair comparison, I agree but the argument is usually well Minecraft did it and still does it! MC was what really started the genre and I would even call Minecraft a niche game, but it was what technically launched the genre and has been adopted in classrooms for education and numerous other areas and I will be willing to bet it will always be the top of the genre.

World of Warcraft wasn’t the first MMORPG, but it continues to be the at the top of the genre it’s in simply because it hit the market at the right time, in the right way with a recognizable name. I was sold on WoW simply because it was Warcraft.

Point being everyone shoots to topple the best game in the genre and its no easy task. Fun to try though.

1 Like

I think like you even @Nightstar, if I’m a little bit younger than you :wink:

I don’t really like this mentality where we start from the premise that everyone is due and everyone is free.

The proof with this kind of marketing (in France) the quality of services has deteriorated in barely two decades and the exceptional craftsmanship has collapsed… In a restaurant, it is not under the pretext that you have ordered a dish you have to demand all variations from the menu.

If we want a persistent universe that evolves and renews itself regularly, it has a blow and it is necessary to go to the checkout. Stop training slaves, work has its value.

FF14 to cite it as an example for years has continued to add very high quality content but to play it you have to subscribe at least 11-12 € per month. If I have to invest in a stable game, I don’t mind paying, quite the contrary.

There are so many micro subscriptions polluting my bank account that it will be easy for me to make room for it !

3 Likes

This is a far-reaching sentiment right here. Far beyond the scope of what we do for entertainment.

Well said.

3 Likes

This game certainly has been on life support for a while but hints of new life are being shown with the Monumental takeover. Boundless is a great acquisition for them too. The core of the game is solid and all it really needs is a little love in the new player experience. Since the new devs explicitly said this was a priority the outlook for the future of the game is as bright as its been in years. I’m not sure how much of a role monetization and exploiting will play in the future but I suppose we’ll find out.

2 Likes

People in Europe and especially in Belgium we don’t have wages like you Americans do. Things are very diferent here. Having to cough up €300 extra every month for electricity and heating is not ‘nothing’. I used to pay €39 / month just 3 years ago now I have to leave out my heating in hopes of not having to pay that dreaded 300-400 most here in Belgium have to pay (and it KEEPS on increasing, going from €0.08/kwh to now already €0.70/kwh. I even know people personlly whom sudenly have to pay €1200 / m for energy!!!). The average Belgian wage is €2100. Rent is €800, or €600 if you don’t mind living in some ■■■■ all neighbourhood.

So, no. I’m not going to make investors happy with their pushy tactics. It’s what ruined the game in 2018. Game wasn’t finished but fat piggies wanted their money, so they lost their gamble. Your unfinishd swimming animation and mobs with an all powerful force field (shitty colision box) ought to be a clue this game never really left beta - which is why it died. It was NOT finished and STILL isn’t.

Only unintrusive ways.

Of course, I applaud the devs trying, I hold them no ill will whatsoever but yes, I’m critical and so what? I’m obly showing you what can be done better IMO and you do with that what you want or not. It’s not meant to degrade the game (not at all).

1 Like

That’s a pretty common rant, here and other places. TBH I’m not going to try and address it.

Like what? How about you tell us what you WOULD do instead of crapping on everything all the time and insisting that you don’t care what they do, as long as you don’t have to pay. That is what you mean, right?

The other comments I have about my personal situation, your presence here, etc… absolutely unnecessary. I would say after having you around for a couple of months now - the endless hate for the game and rage on the forum feels like you’re just waiting for anyone - anyone - to engage with you so that you have an excuse to blow off some steam.

When I really hate something - I move away from it. Your mileage obviously may vary.

So I hear you loud and clear. If you’re asked to pay for your entertainment you won’t be entertained. I might be sorry to hear that but honestly - your presentation. I’m over here trying to survive and eking out a couple bucks for some entertainment means choices.

Yeah absolutely :zipper_mouth_face: from me, beyond that. America is hosed. Can’t speak for belgium. I am hoping Boundless will continue to improve.

5 Likes

Just wanted to mention that we are all rich here in America. Every single one of us… heck my 12yr old makes $100k a year :stuck_out_tongue:

Moving on…

Any game that hosts its own servers have costs to run those servers it was the same in 2018 as it is now, and the monetization model here apparently failed miserably, along with the marketing plan and any plans to actually keep players for the long term.

They need monetization options, that doesn’t mean you @Nokowa has to pay a dime other than to buy the game as you once did. Granted most times you can get it for under $5. I personally was given the game as gift from a friend, I loved game so much I bought gleam club, I bought MANY sovereigns and more often than not it was to support the game not for any real benefit for myself.

I’m an older fellow I suppose, but damn have I worked my ass off to get to where I am now. I am far from rich… but you know … I am pretty damn happy :wink:

I wish everyone was.

EDIT: Just to add here. I HATE P2W… anyone who knows me will vouch for this and I am sure you can find several posts on here stating this.

7 Likes

:expressionless: Belgium….€2100,- average…… wow im way below that, get barely half of that…. Still not complaining though.

[edit]

And no, no additional benefits available as i still live at home and we share all our bills. Friend of mine makes €1200,- a month is on his own in a new building and has no complaints either.

In 2018 every thing was more doable but after COVID yeah prices went up (i know because i have been looking for a place since 2018 that i liked).
Yeah there is more in play over here (in Belgium) but pointless to go in to that here on the boundless forum.

…(long pointless text deleted)….

7 Likes

I’ve been doing a fair amount of this.

Just did it again. I’m not crying my heart out on the forums. It’s hard times everywhere.

I already said this - Boundless isn’t some natural resource that people are trying to trick you into paying for. I think though, if somebody absolutely refuses to contribute - they could consider being a bit less critical of the product.

:man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Really? I get about €850-€1150…

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=Belgium&country2=United+States&city1=Antwerp&city2=Boston%2C+MA

You can compare cities and countries…

Kind regards,

3 Likes