Boundless Model to OBJ app

Warning: Use this only if you know what you’re doing. Boundless game resources are obviously copyright, and this utility does not give you a license to use these resources. This is not legal advice, and I am not a lawyer.

I made an app to convert the MsgPack 3D model files in the boundless game dir to OBJ files which can be imported by normal 3D apps. I’ve put it on github here and made a release with a compiled version that anyone can download.

Usage

-i, --input       Required. Specifies the input MsgPack or JSON file to read.

-o, --output      Required. Specifies the output directory to write the OBJ file.

-g, --gradient    Required. Gradient specifier to use in format [[R,G,B],[R,G,B],[R,G,B]] where R, G and B are values between 0 and 255 inclusive.

-e, --emissive    Required. Emissive color to use in format [R,G,B] where R, G and B are values between 0 and 255 inclusive.

--help            Display this help screen.

--version         Display version information.

(not sure why some words are bold in there…)

Here’s an example of something I exported:

The tool handles the diffuse map, the gradient map, the normal map, and the emissive map.
NOTE: OBJ doesn’t support normal maps, it only supports bump maps, so you’ll need to change it in your graphics editing program after import. In blender it’s here:

let me know if u heff questions.

12 Likes

I open cmd and do something like this? idk what to put in the r,g,b’s
-i, --input C:\Users\Nick\Desktop\input(file name)

-o, --output C:\Users\Nick\Desktop\Output

-g, --gradient No ide here

-e, --emissive Same

–help Display this help screen.

–version Display version information.

Emissive its probably best to do
-e “[255, 255, 255]”
for gradient, that depends on what colour you want, but you can find the game’s values in the compiledcolorpalette file, which you can unpack with @Simoyd’s other tool :stuck_out_tongue:
but make sure you do -g “[[r, g, b],[r, g, b],[r, g, b]]” (with the quotes)

So like this…
-i, C:\Users\Nick\Desktop\input(file name)

-o, C:\Users\Nick\Desktop\Output

-g, “[64, 82, 10]”

-e, “[255, 255, 255]”

–help Display this help screen.

–version Display version information.

Then what about the program do I just drag and drop it when I open the cmd and paste the comand in?

If on Windows, you can use it in a command prompt like this…

BoundlessModelToObj.exe -i E:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Boundless\assets\items\models\item_bottle_of_gel.dae.msgpack -o f:\temp -g [[1,20,50],[40,20,120],[180,250,125]] -e [30,100,200]

I was trying to work out how you were setting the gradient colours… but it turns out you are applying it directly to the colourMap texture image :open_mouth:

1 Like

I’ll try and thanks I just hope I dont fkup xD

did this but not doing anything :confused:

You’ll need to be in the folder that you unzipped the program in.

ahhh got it yea just did it XD

1 Like

where just about to say I did it xD

Well thank you so much @Stretchious and @Simoyd for everything <3 <3

working great^^ useing blender so have no problems with the texture xD

sorry forgot you @willcrutchley :b

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

converting everything I can atm then I fix the colors ans mest to my liking later :slight_smile: and make some screes / backgorunds with it ^^

Sounds good. Make sure to report back to @Simoyd if any of the models don’t work correctly :slight_smile:

That I will do^^

1 Like

This is highly unrelated, but you know I had to do it to em

72f3a3ec-496f-493b-8221-876f54fde91f

11 Likes

🤦noone made you :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Nice! Thanks for building this!

1 Like