Boundless Multiverse

No denying some players will be excited about this. Like Dan said it isnt the content of the update but the timing and prioritization.

I do not believe this will be the hook for new players so many people seem to think it will be.

1 Like

Let’s just consider for a moment that this update is actually not about the existing playerbase… but about potential new players overall. Players that haven’t yet bought the game as they didn’t want to be in the MMO universe - players that may just want to muck about with friends and pick up/put down the game whenever they wanted. Players that can mod the game to how they want to play it.

I believe there is. It could well be ones that can’t afford to fork out a monthly fee for a rental world on a game they don’t even know if they will like yet.

It could well be that they need to prioritize revenue streams (I have no idea if that is the case and wouldn’t like to speculate beyond this statement) as opposed to relying on the current playerbase to continue funding the game with GC and cubit sales.

12 Likes

interesting perspective. I’m learning.

It will draw new players long enough to see how empty the game is alone, and then you LOSE all those new players before the content is released.

How does no one see this as the devs ultimately shooting themselves in the foot?

2 Likes

I have only just got home and haven’t read all the comments up to this point, but I’ll probably read through some later. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yeah, I also don’t think this will be a major player-grabber or anything like that either. And MMO balance aside, a lot of the game still needs attention indeed, some parts still feel oddly clunky, even though I still feel the experience is much better than over two years ago by now, it’s really difficult to convince anyone who doesn’t already own the game to play Boundless with me. (and even then…)

3 Likes

Well said. I agree.

1 Like

Heres to hoping the ‘content bomb’ update comes this year :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think you all are forgetting these changes are mostly code and not art.

Stuff people want added requires art which traditionally takes a lot of time time to get right, its not like you can just patch/bugfix a model the same way you can with a code base.

Making a system to create a new planet using the existing systems we had with the world builder and exos didnt require a 3d artist to create anything. its just literally retooling what they already have.

lol, the current player base posts threads on the forums to actively work around the need of injecting cubits using real money. ie “i need to buy 2million stone”

Even if it has the potential, right off the bat, to give control of the game to a budding modding community?

There is in fact a ton of content in the game already… Something I think the existing playerbase is critical of as they have played the game for the past 2 years and done most of the things already.

7 Likes

The art is already done. It was showcased back during alpha. With only minor texure adjustments it would be up to date.

I disagree with you here. I feel that “art takes time” is a lame excuse when the concept art has existed for years now.

1 Like

World mapping intensifies

As a full pathfinder, this is gonna be great for my business!

1 Like

This is the biggest upside to this update and something I was looking for over a year ago. I think ultimately, the game will become like ARK, where the main universe gets updated with fan favorite mods that have been worked on already and just need fine tuning before game wide release. This led to great exposure for many modders in the community and was a springboard for jobs for a few of them, in the industry. Boundless will see similar success I think, if it’s able to grow it’s userbase. Though it’s been thoroughly documented at this time that the game engine is the real shining aspect of Wonderstruck and what they are doing long term is to highlight it’s capabilities primarily.

7 Likes

@Vetteq there will be pants mods i bet :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

And when those mods dont work in the main universe how do you translate across realms? How many people will leave their modded universes if the entirety of the gameplay experience could potentially change by doing so?

There are too many “maybes” and “ifs” involved in this.

You know what draws players? CONTENT. Not being forced to mod your own game to make it complete.

Cmon man!

See, already this update potentially provides moonshot hopes! lol

1 Like

Might as well rename Wonderstruck to Bethesda at that point.

Again… there already IS content for a new player to get their teeth into. We’re existing players of many years and have played the majority of the AVAILABLE content. Existing players need MORE content (which I wholeheartedly agree with), but trying to make out there is no content is simply not true.

12 Likes

lots of passionate players writing here, makes me happy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Concept art is one thing. 3D asset development is different and it does take time. Watching your poly count, your topology, uv unwrapping and texturing each and every asset. Then there’s the rigging and animation of each too. It’s a lengthy process and depending on how many individual assets there are and their possible variants, it could take weeks, even months to create all that is required for even, what most would consider, the smallest of content updates.

4 Likes

I never ever once said that. I wouldnt have sunk 1900 hours into the game if there was no content. If you read my previous comments you’ll understand my argument is the skewed priorities of the dev team.