Boundless now self published on Steam

Something along those lines, yeah. I hope we get that, and isn’t scrapped as an idea.

Yeah, agreed. If they’re going to have separate specs then we need better controls around it like the ability to name them at a minimum.

2 Likes

Seems they could just give everyone the skills automatically if you can have all skills on one page.

Here are the release notes that discuss the new Skill Tree

Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes! - News / Releases - Boundless Community (playboundless.com)

@SilverSunn it is 359 points

6 Likes

Thanks @Kal-El I knew it was somewhere around the 300 mark. That’s also quite the TODO list!

The only exception is that the new system still has you pick a handful of combat specializations.

Here are some screenshots of one of my builds on test. This is at level 160 on live, which translates to 103 in update 249.

The way levels and skills are set up in 249, it is easier to get yourself to the current “5 sheets and you can do everything” that we pretty much all have. That’s great for improving the NPE. Then, after that, it gets increasingly harder to get more skill points, which is just about convenience. This becomes and endgame goal to grind toward, with the end goal being having a single super sheet to rule them all, the ultimate QoL achievement.

Summary of the 249 skill system from a game design perspective:
lvl 1-50 is vertical progression to be able to do anything.
lvl 51-190 is horizontal progression to improve QoL convenience.

Cubits is a different story, but I’d like to not think about that ever again.

2 Likes

I would imagine you could solo a T7 quite nicely with the right build!

2 Likes

Haha, here is my combat & mining build from the same post. I believe I designed it with T7 harvesting/hunting in mind. With a few more levels, I would likely get the gathering epic and probably some jump skills.

Is it just me, or has this thread gone completely off the rails?

2 Likes

I suppose my main issue is exactly this

I guess it’s ok if you are a Jack of All Trades but kind of tends to be the opposite of what an MMO usually has which is sort a set of classes where you are reliant on others in a party to help you.

Granted Boundless never really has had that so not that big of a deal … but there are solo players and leaving them out is a fail too.

1 Like

I believe they originally intended it to be more interdependent, but since some players like to solo, the sheets thing was a concession. That concession meant everyone can do everything on their own, and that’s not something you can really take back.

I think casual MMOs frequently make content soloable or, uh “whatever build is fine”. Some people dont actually like the trinity or meta builds. You then can build other content to encourage group play. Meteors get better loot in groups, so good for casual zerg play. Dungeon and raid type content (we don’t have) would then require mechanical expertise including the trinity, which is still built into this system.

2 Likes

You can Solo a T7 Nicely Now without the update xD

1 Like

@Redlotus I suppose with the skill tree update they could also increase the difficulty of T7 meteors; making them harder, but not impossible? Also, @BabyCookie, I did see your post about using bombs on a T7. I would just die all the time trying that! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

There were mentions of T8 Brutal planets. I don’t know if those are still going to be added or not.

7 Likes

I will wait, patiently optimistic. :blush:

3 Likes

Too many messages to wade through. Sounds like the hype train is chuggin’ along at a brisk pace. I’m rather ignorant when it comes to self-publishing, but what does that mean overall? I want to get hyped as well, but I don’t know what being self-published means over being published by SQENX.

1 Like

Mostly it just means the Dev team has control over publishing and any revenue that SE was getting.

The hype though is more around the fact that James has stated: “We plan to share more exciting news about Boundless’ future in the coming weeks.”

4 Likes

Nothing but goodness then!

1 Like

Publisher does the marketing for a game. Since SQEX said they weren’t going to do any more marketing that turbulancz can do the marketing themselves and do more promotion for the game if they choose to. If you ever see a game that has the developer different from the publisher that just means they have someone doing the marketing and promotion for the game for the company that developed the game.

So all James has to do now is…

via GIPHY

…and Boundless lives again!!!

Standoff

8 Likes