Boundless now self published on Steam

I kind of hope so they need to implement their new planets with multiple tiers on them some how.

That was to be private servers that would run off your computer independent of the boundless universe. And you’d need a minimum of a quad core computer to run them.

3 Likes

Bleh private servers… if they can connect to a central universe, I’d be all for it, otherwise meh.

2 Likes

Yeah I mean, Square Enix couldn’t keep the lights on with the money that came in from the game. I doubt the Sovereign money will change anything, so then they’re gonna get into the same issue than Square Enix was if they don’t change stuff around.

What would that be? If the game isn’t gutted to cost less per month, aren’t they gonna need to sell out to someone else? Maybe Larian?

Or the “exciting news about Boundless’ future” is that 249 comes out and the whole game changes to self-hosted by players.

4 Likes

…we’ve been waiting to hear something like this for SO long.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Boundless never Was dead :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6 Likes

The Beacon might of Been Smoking for a little while but we put some “Greater Beacon Fuel” in it now it’s on Fire Again :heart:

12 Likes

Great to hear some news from James, I now just need to decide if putting more time into it is worthwhile. One of the major reasons I stopped playing was the lack of communication. Was that because of a rift or something SE was dictating , or that James and Co chose that path due to bg3(or a dozen other possible what if’s)…who knows, and honestly the answer to that will likely dictate whether I invest more time and money in the game.

Hopefully it is something that does get addressed

5 Likes

Thought would be funny to not just say poodles :stuck_out_tongue: at least it got your attention xD

2 Likes

SQ was looking to recoup their initial investment + sought profits of mid/high 5 figures per month ($50k - $99,999/mo). They determined early on it wouldn’t meet their expected ROI (per Phil). Phil also said they’d give us a notice if they decided to change/end anything on their end. AFAIK, the contract ended & James decided not to renew/continue with Square. Not the other way around. That tells me there is confidence going forward, perhaps a new plan. Maybe the addition of rental planets has been a success and more significant that we think. Maybe there’s a new investor. We shall see. :eyes:

My sentiments also. However, I believe it’s always been part of their plan to add that capability. Perhaps their market research shows that it would benefit the game, moving forward. idk

7 Likes

I hear (say!) they’re putting many eggs in to the en eff tee basket over at that place. No comment, either way.

This is very, very welcome news @james. Can’t wait to hear more about this when you guys are ready to share. In the meantime, seems like when I get back from vacation it’s time to spend some more hours in Boundless!

5 Likes

I’m hoping we’re back on track for the new skill points system. What was it? 367 total points for all 5?

I thought I remembered it being that if you had the skill points you could fill out the entire tree as one spec - essentially doing away with the separate specs idea.

4 Likes

Something along those lines, yeah. I hope we get that, and isn’t scrapped as an idea.

Yeah, agreed. If they’re going to have separate specs then we need better controls around it like the ability to name them at a minimum.

2 Likes

Seems they could just give everyone the skills automatically if you can have all skills on one page.

Here are the release notes that discuss the new Skill Tree

Testing 249: Melee Weapons, Shields and Local Universes! - News / Releases - Boundless Community (playboundless.com)

@SilverSunn it is 359 points

6 Likes

Thanks @Kal-El I knew it was somewhere around the 300 mark. That’s also quite the TODO list!

The only exception is that the new system still has you pick a handful of combat specializations.

Here are some screenshots of one of my builds on test. This is at level 160 on live, which translates to 103 in update 249.

The way levels and skills are set up in 249, it is easier to get yourself to the current “5 sheets and you can do everything” that we pretty much all have. That’s great for improving the NPE. Then, after that, it gets increasingly harder to get more skill points, which is just about convenience. This becomes and endgame goal to grind toward, with the end goal being having a single super sheet to rule them all, the ultimate QoL achievement.

Summary of the 249 skill system from a game design perspective:
lvl 1-50 is vertical progression to be able to do anything.
lvl 51-190 is horizontal progression to improve QoL convenience.

Cubits is a different story, but I’d like to not think about that ever again.

2 Likes